Chicago lay-over

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
My wife and I are taking a one day trip to Chicago on the LSL from Cleveland. I've researched all the posts concerning such one day "events" and have some good ideas of things to do...most have to do with eating sad to say. I've done the trip before and know most of how to get around, but I do have three questions:

1 Does a one day CTA pass cover both bus and loop transportation?

2 Is the X28 bus the correct one to get to the Science and Industry Museum from CUS? I went to a trip planner on the CTA website and it wasn't how they suggested to get therebut I read a post that suggested the X28 bus.

3 Can you call ahead to Giordano's to order a pizza so you don't have to sit so long waithing there or is there also a bar there to pass the time?

I'm sure some other questions will come to mind, although most of the posts in the forum have been very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I do have three questions
So how come the thread is sub-titled two questions? :huh: Just for that, I will just pick two questions to answer! :lol:

1) I really don't know, but I think it does include both.

3) I don't recall if there was something like a bar. But what I did was walk in and ordered a pizza for takeout, left to walk the few blocks to the Post Office to mail some cards, and when I got back 20 minutes later, it was ready to be picked up! Then I took it back to the Metropolitan Lounge to eat!

My wife and I are taking a one day trip to Chicago on the LSL from Cleveland. I've researched all the posts concerning such one day "events" and have some good ideas of things to do...most have to do with eating sad to say. I've done the trip before and know most of how to get around, but I do have three questions:1 Does a one day CTA pass cover both bus and loop transportation?

2 Is the X28 bus the correct one to get to the Science and Industry Museum from CUS? I went to a trip planner on the CTA website and it wasn't how they suggested to get there but I read a post that suggested the X28 bus.

I'm sure some other questions will come to mind, although most of the posts in the forum have been very helpful.

1. Yep, CTA is bus and "El", but not Metra.

2. X28 is a weekday, rush hour bus (and ironically, hopstop.com is giving me a longer travel time on this "express" bus than on the #10 local).

I've ridden the X28 three times down to and from the Museum of Science and Industry. (one round trip, one Metra Electric out, bus back) It's reasonably quick and even during the evening rush hour time didn't get bogged down in traffic much. We also caught it at CUS around noon the first time. As to what it's currently doing, I can't say, but that's been my experience with it.

That's what happens when you think of something and forget to change the heading. Kind of red-faced. But I knew I'd come up with another question. We'll be returning in a sleeper car so I know about the Metro Lounge. I've used the services there for storing baggage several times. However, I seem to remember a restriction about electronic gear. Do I remember that correctly? I will have my laptop with me for it's GPS capabilities but would rather not haul it around the city all day.

I left a laptop in a bag in both Chiacgo and Washington DC Met Lounge.

Kind of red-faced. But I knew I'd come up with another question.
Four questions? :huh: Now you're really pushing your luck! :lol:

We'll be returning in a sleeper car so I know about the Metro Lounge. I've used the services there for storing baggage several times. However, I seem to remember a restriction about electronic gear. Do I remember that correctly? I will have my laptop with me for it's GPS capabilities but would rather not haul it around the city all day.
I think that if you could put it inside some other bag, it would be fine.

I think that if you could put it inside some other bag, it would be fine.
Just make sure your wife keeps quiet, at least if that obnoxious red cap is still guarding the door. I was all set do do what you suggest last summer when my wife, trying to be helpful, asked if I remembered to put my lap top in the bag. The red cap objected, but relented when I persisted. A couple of times before we departed, he made a point of coming to where we were sitting and haranging us about something or other.

That's what happens when you think of something and forget to change the heading. Kind of red-faced. But I knew I'd come up with another question. We'll be returning in a sleeper car so I know about the Metro Lounge. I've used the services there for storing baggage several times. However, I seem to remember a restriction about electronic gear. Do I remember that correctly? I will have my laptop with me for it's GPS capabilities but would rather not haul it around the city all day.
You can check your bags at the Metropolitan Lounge. However, they won't accept a laptop if they recognize that's what it is. I've got a rollalong suitcase that looks like anything but a laptop case, but that's what it was originally designed for.

I use it to:

1) Carry my laptop, and everything else that I'll need for the on-board part of the trip.

2) Carry some extra private stock, and replentish it during long layovers.

I've never been questioned by the room attendant at the Metropolitan lounge, and they guard it as carefully as they would a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back