Chicago Layover Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack615

Train Attendant
Hey Guys, i got a trip planned in July going to be taking the Crescent to NOL and then CONO to Chicago and then the LSL back to Boston. But between the city of New Orleans and the LSL back to Boston I got 12 hours or so to kill, and was wondering what would be some good ideas for me to do. I already have a list of a few possibilities but wonder what you all think of them and feel free to suggest others.

Ride Metra

Ride the EL/Subway

Go to the Navy Pier

Ride the South Shore Line

Lunch at Giordanos

Get some garretts popcorn

Wish cubs were home, could had gone to an matinee game, but no luck when I am there.

So with those ideas, what you all think, What Metra lines should I try to do if I choose that route? Could one ride the SSL as a rt and have no prob making the LSL?

Anyway any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, i got a trip planned in July going to be taking the Crescent to NOL and then CONO to Chicago and then the LSL back to Boston. But between the city of New Orleans and the LSL back to Boston I got 12 hours or so to kill, and was wondering what would be some good ideas for me to do. I already have a list of a few possibilities but wonder what you all think of them and feel free to suggest others.
Ride Metra

Ride the EL/Subway

Go to the Navy Pier

Lunch at Giordanos

Wish cubs were home, could had gone to an matinee game, but no luck when I am there.

So with those ideas, what you all think, What Metra lines should I try to do if I choose that route? Could one ride the SSL as a rt and have no prob making the LSL?

Jack
If the Cubs aren't home, try the White Sox. You can take the Orange line and get pretty close to the ball park.

White Sox are home that night, but I am boarding the train fri night.

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Navy Pier. I think it's over rated and I haven't talked to anyone who thought it was worth going there.

If you like the arts, some of the theaters are within walking distance of CUS. Check out "Broadway in Chicago".

Or museums. We have some good ones. My favorite is the Chicago Historical Society Museum.

Then there's Lincoln Park Zoo - or even Brookfield Zoo can be reached by train.

Or just walk along the lake front. I like the Montrose Harbor area, but not sure how you'd get there from CUS. I don't know if some of the big leisure yachts are out of winter storage, but if they are, they're fun to look at - and dream about.

Ride Metra

Ride the EL/Subway

Go to the Navy Pier

Lunch at Giordanos

Jack
If the Cubs aren't home, try the White Sox. You can take the Orange line and get pretty close to the ball park.
You can ride the Red Line to Sox/35th Street which is adjacent to the park.

For riding the Metra out and back, I like the Fox Lake line. It departs from Chicago Union Station, and goes through interesting scenery in the Lake Country of Illinois.

For the SouthShore Line, check their schedule to see how far you could get and still catch an appropriate return train. But remember, SSL stops East of the Loop, and CUS is West of the Loop. Somehow you have to cover the difference on your own... (walking, the El, bus, or taxi are possibilities).

Another pleasant activity is the Water Taxi. Starts on the Chicago River right across from CUS, transfer at Navy Pier and you can ride out on Lake Michigan to the Museum Campus. Then either ride back again, or walk a few blocks to the El. Views are spectacular for the entire trip.

Or ride the Brown Line on the "L" out to Kimball and back (counter-clockwise around the Loop)... a pleasant tour of the City through several different areas.

Ride Metra

Ride the EL/Subway

Go to the Navy Pier

Lunch at Giordanos

Jack
You can ride the Red Line to Sox/35th Street which is adjacent to the park.
You can also take the Green line to 35th Street/Bronzeville/IIT which is 2 blocks east of Sox/35th on the Red line. However if you're into things like throwback baseball caps and jerseys go to Sox/35th and walk west on 35th past New Comiskey Park and under the railroad embankment to a store called Grandstand (corner of 35th and Wallace.) The selection is mind (and paycheck) blowing. Chicago's professional athletes are known to stop in either to purchase items or for autograph signings. When I went I ran into at the time White Sox player Nick Swisher who was picking up a custom Bears jersey.

The Cubs offer tours of Wrigley Field on non-game days. You can check their website and see if they're offering a tour when you are there. It was $25 last season and was a lot of fun.

How about the archetectural tours on the river departing from nay pier? is that fun? how is the best way to get there from CUS?

Grab the X28 down to the Museum of Science and Industry. Or walk or ride over to Metra Electric and head down to 55-56-57th street station (yes, it's called that) walk two blocks East and there you are at MSI. You could easily waste two days there, but my family and I have done it in two one day trips (one the year after the next). They have a great HUGE Model railroad there that simulates the run from Chicago to Seattle and a bunch of scenery in between.

no no, you're doing it all wrong. :) What you do is stay up all night on the train talking to the interesting characters in the lounge car, then you sleep on the floor at Union Station all day so you are well rested to spend the night up talking in the lounge again.

Grab the X28 down to the Museum of Science and Industry. Or walk or ride over to Metra Electric and head down to 55-56-57th street station (yes, it's called that) walk two blocks East and there you are at MSI. You could easily waste two days there, but my family and I have done it in two one day trips (one the year after the next). They have a great HUGE Model railroad there that simulates the run from Chicago to Seattle and a bunch of scenery in between.
Yeah, but the Museum of Science and Industry has this

zephyr_wide.jpg

The most interesting train ride is the South Shore line, hands down. It is the last interurban. If the City is on time, you would have no problem doing this trip. It is about 2 hours 30 minutes each way, with a half hour lay over. You could work in a ride around the loop, and Giordano's is on the way back to Union Station.

If you are a railfan, then do the south shore. Forget baseball and other touristy stuff IMHO. LOL Since this is a RAILFAN forum, then the first choice is always to ride trains. LOL.

Check the schedules on line. By carefully looking at the CTA maps online you can plot out your loop ride too. Good luck.

Yeah, but the Museum of Science and Industry has this

zephyr_wide.jpg
Yeah and they have a little guided tour with robotic "Passengers" who tell you more about the exciting first run of the Zephyr very cool.

I once had a long layover like that and I managed to squeeze in Giordano's, Sears Tower (sorry, can't call it by its new name) skydeck, walked down to the Boeing company store in the HDQ, and did a r/t on the Hiawatha to MKE. It was a nice day. I might have went to Harry Caray's for a cold one too, not sure.

I once had a long layover like that and I managed to squeeze in Giordano's, Sears Tower (sorry, can't call it by its new name) skydeck, walked down to the Boeing company store in the HDQ, and did a r/t on the Hiawatha to MKE. It was a nice day. I might have went to Harry Caray's for a cold one too, not sure.
I have a 9 hour layover connecting from the CL to er... the CL :lol: :lol: I really wanted to RT on the Hiawatha to kill some time and get another Amtrak miles, but my friend already thinks I'm nuts for us doing a trip on the same train back to back so he fails to see the logic of getting off another Amtrak Train to get on another Amtrak Train with the goal soley being riding the train.

I have a 9 hour layover connecting from the CL to er... the CL :lol: :lol: I really wanted to RT on the Hiawatha to kill some time and get another Amtrak miles, but my friend already thinks I'm nuts for us doing a trip on the same train back to back so he fails to see the logic of getting off another Amtrak Train to get on another Amtrak Train with the goal soley being riding the train.
If your friend feels that way he probably isn't a true friend. :p

:lol: :lol: Well he's never ridden Amtrak outside of the NEC, granted he he's no slouch when it comes to riding. He's actually got me beat in terms of miles this year. :eek: I think I can convince him by the time the trip starts that 9 hours is a LONG time and we can cut it in half although thanks to this thread I might look at some METRA routes.

How about the archetectural tours on the river departing from nay pier? is that fun? how is the best way to get there from CUS?
Ron,

I enjoyed the Chicago Architecture Foundation river tour during one of my visits to CHI. This tour departs from the SE corner of the Michigan Avenue Bridge at Wacker Drive.

My hotel was on Washington, so I walked up to the bridge. From CUS, walk east to the Quincy L stop, and take a purple, brown or orange line train to Randolph. From there, walk east one block to Michigan Ave, and then north three blocks to Wacker Drive.

The tour was interesting and informative; definately worth taking :)

Mike

Ride Metra

Ride the EL/Subway

Go to the Navy Pier

Lunch at Giordanos

Jack
Well, of course there are endless possibilities to use your spare time in Chicago. I would suggest any of the other posters' suggestions with my favorite being the Museum of Science and Industry. I used to go there when I was a child and the model railroad amazed me. I hear its much bigger now. Another favorite is to try the pizza there. You can't pass through Chicago without a "Taste of Chicago" while you're there, depending on when you are traveling in July, if its in the beginning of the month, the biggest food fest in the city takes place, and you can grab a taste of the best of faire in Chicago food. Or if you want to be brief, a quick slice of pizza or a David Berg hot dog "with all of Chicago on it" will do. The Sears Tower may be a option, (i heard they changed the name) if you're into looking over the city during a clear sunny day----be sure to charge your camera's batteries!!!! I would even suggest a trip over to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for a financial experience if that interests you at all. Speaking of which, travel on down to the Merchandise Mart, and do a little window shopping, or grab a few souvenirs for the trip home. Or if you want to get really visitorial, do the movie set tour, thats places where movies have been filmed in Chicago...There's one building on Wacker Dr, I don't know the name of the building, but its just west of State st. where the movie The Negotiator with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey was filmed. Check out Chinatown, on the CTA's red line Cermak station, where just west of the station there is a fire station where the movie Backdraft was filmed. And even Union Station, where you'll be arriving and departing, where many movies have been filmed, most notable, The Untouchables with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery or even the old favorite, Silver Streak, where the locomotive blasts through Union Station "on its way to Marshall Fields".lol Well, those are just my suggestions. Whatever you do, have exceptional fun doing it and be sure to post here on what you did!!!

Ron,

I enjoyed the Chicago Architecture Foundation river tour during one of my visits to CHI. This tour departs from the SE corner of the Michigan Avenue Bridge at Wacker Drive.

My hotel was on Washington, so I walked up to the bridge. From CUS, walk east to the Quincy L stop, and take a purple, brown or orange line train to Randolph. From there, walk east one block to Michigan Ave, and then north three blocks to Wacker Drive.

The tour was interesting and informative; definately worth taking :)

Mike
How long does that one take and how much does it cost?

Ron,

Mike
This tour is 90 minutes, M-F $28, S,S, Holidays $32. The website has all the departure times.

And even Union Station, where you'll be arriving and departing, where many movies have been filmed, most notable, The Untouchables with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery or even the old favorite, Silver Streak, where the locomotive blasts through Union Station "on its way to Marshall Fields".lol
Actually as a fan of that movie (Silver Streak) I'm pretty sure that it was Central Station, which is much closer to the Marshall Fields store, than Union Station which is much futher away from the store.

And even Union Station, where you'll be arriving and departing, where many movies have been filmed, most notable, The Untouchables with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery or even the old favorite, Silver Streak, where the locomotive blasts through Union Station "on its way to Marshall Fields".lol
Actually as a fan of that movie (Silver Streak) I'm pretty sure that it was Central Station, which is much closer to the Marshall Fields store, than Union Station which is much futher away from the store.
Which I would believe would be another hollywood error since trains from LA never went near central station. LOL The other interesting thing is that the equipment was from the Canadian, and they never showed cars with sections. Now if I could have a night with Jill Clayburg in a roomette . . .

Ron,

Mike
This tour is 90 minutes, M-F $28, S,S, Holidays $32. The website has all the departure times.
That's a good tour. If it's a hot day, it's a lot cooler on the Chicago River.

Ok, Im the "said friend" what he fails to under stand is that after getting off the train I don't want to be stuck on anther train for another 3 hours, I would like to see and get around in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back