Chicago layover...things to do....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
We will have several hours to kill in Chicago the first part of February...couple things I would like to do is see the SkyDeck in Willis Tower and have a slice of Pizza at Giordianos...both appear to be fairly close to CUS, but the wife can't walk to far, especially in cold weather....would it be feasible to take a cab that short distance, or would I just make the driver mad? Is the bus service safe? Any other things to see/do that are close by?

bus service is reliable and close (several routes right outside the Great Hall) The art museum isn't that far from the depot, the cultural center is another good stop. Those are the first things that pop into my head...

Wrigley Field is probably too far away (it really depends on how much time you have), and, nonetheless, in early February, there won't be anything going on up there.

Odds are, you would make the cab driver mad if you wanted to go from Union Station to the Sears Tower. However, it and Giordanos are so close, walking really shouldn't be a problem at all (though that really depends on how far your wife considers "too far"). From stepping outside the station, the typical person could walk there in two minutes or less.

Most of the area immediately around CUS is office buildings, etc., so anything other than the Willis Tower will require a cab or the bus if a lot of walking in cold weather isn't feasible. There IS a Garrett's Popcorn close, and I wouldn't miss that!

The Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and Field Museum are close to downtown. The Adler is probably the safest bet if you don't want to do a lot of walking. They have shows and such that are pretty interesting. It's one of my favorites. It's close to CUS, so I don't think a cab would be outrageously expensive.

Navy Pier is also relatively close and they have some cool indoor attractions.

This site is easy to use, and will give you door-to-door directions for public transportation to all the sites in Chicago:

http://www.transitchicago.com/default.aspx

Wrigley Field is probably too far away (it really depends on how much time you have), and, nonetheless, in early February, there won't be anything going on up there.

Odds are, you would make the cab driver mad if you wanted to go from Union Station to the Sears Tower. However, it and Giordanos are so close, walking really shouldn't be a problem at all (though that really depends on how far your wife considers "too far"). From stepping outside the station, the typical person could walk there in two minutes or less.
I've taken short trips by Chicago taxi many times. If it's an extremely short distance I'll let the driver know up front I'll tip accordingly. If a driver still refused to take me that distance, I'd telephone the City of Chicago at 311 immediately with the guy's cab number. However, I've never had trouble with a short run in-city. I have had occasional problems wiith drivers at O'Hare who seem to think that every fare must mean downtown Chicago.

I dont think so. Took the red line from Addison to Harrison in about 20 minutes and Harrison is South of the loop lines.

I've taken short trips by Chicago taxi many times. If it's an extremely short distance I'll let the driver know up front I'll tip accordingly. If a driver still refused to take me that distance, I'd telephone the City of Chicago at 311 immediately with the guy's cab number. However, I've never had trouble with a short run in-city. I have had occasional problems wiith drivers at O'Hare who seem to think that every fare must mean downtown Chicago.
I virtually never take cabs in Chicago. However, some relatives were visiting me once by train, and wanted to take a cab from Union Station to my condo (which is less than a ten-minute walk away). The cab driver seriously told them it would be easier to walk. I wound up walking over and meeting them half way.

I dont think so. Took the red line from Addison to Harrison in about 20 minutes and Harrison is South of the loop lines.
It's about ten minutes to get from Union Station over to the Red Line (or slightly less to the Brown Line, then ride around and go up to Fullerton/Belmont and transfer to Red), and the same in reverse. Plus the running time to/from Addison, and you're talking an hour in travel time, round trip, just to go up there. And, when you get there, there's still nothing to do in early February.

I'd save a Wrigley Field visit for when it's warm out.

How long is your layover?

Agreed with some others that Sears (Willis) Tower is a relatively short walk, albeit a bit chilly as you'll need to go over the Chicago river.

What day will you be in town? Because various museums have free days, especially in the winter. You can use this as a guide, but double check w/ the museum to confirm:

http://www.chicagohotblog.com/chicago-museum-free-days

The Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art are the closest to downtown. I'd recommend a cab - probably $7 each way from Union Station and for 2 people, the bus will cost you $4 each way and take a lot longer.

Good luck!

There are not many restaurants immediately in center city around Union Station in Chicago. Pizza and Starbucks are the only things that we could find. However, one area that is near the station that is seldom mentioned has some GREAT food. Its Greek Town. Greek Town is just a few blocks west of Union Station. You can eat a fantastic meal at the Greek Islands (our favorite) for a very economical price. The West Side neighborhood is chock full of good restaurants to eat at (all prices) and has some really excellent pastry shops where you can get a box of delights to take with you on the train.

Greek Town in Chicago is on S. Halstead Street Three or four blocks West (direction away from central city) The Greek Islands is at 200 S Halsted Street which is 2 blocks South on Halstead. In total it is only a short 5 or 6 block walk ( about 15 minutes) or a $4 taxi ride.

If you don't like Greek food don't worry there are eating places there that offer great soups sandwiches pizza and American fare. There is also a big supermarket there called Dominicks that has just about everything including a Starbucks Coffee bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back