Chicago lodging

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
I am planning a Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans trip in June. There'll be a one night layover in Chicago. Any recommendations for a (preferably inexpensive) lodging near the Chicago station?

Hotwire has never failed me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inexpensive". There is a Holiday Inn near the station that runs about $150-175/night, depending on the time of year. The Ohio House Motel is smack dab in the Loop, very close to transit, and costs around $90/night. You can also check out Club Quarters (both the Adams and Wacker locations); they're close to Union Station (Adams is closer) and run about $125/night.

I am planning a Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans trip in June. There'll be a one night layover in Chicago. Any recommendations for a (preferably inexpensive) lodging near the Chicago station?
For a One Night Stay Consider the Hostel International on Congress right off Michigan and State which is the heart of the Loop! It's about 8 Blocks from Union Station towards the Lake to the East! It's Walkable in Nice Weather but Buses run from Union Station to within a Block and Taxis are Everywhere in Chicago!! Its next to the Unique Chicago Public Library, Close to Lake Michigan and next to the L!! It has Dorm Type Rooms and Private Rooms with and Without Bath(Good Hot Water!), a Laundromat and Prices Run $35-$90 (Private) a Night including Breakfast!! Great Restaurant in the Lobby with Wonderful Cuban Sandwiches! It's Clean, Safe and Attracts People of All Ages from All Over the World! Lots of AUers stay there , I have used it many Times during Layovers and it's One of My Favorites in the US! (Sacramento also has a Great Hostel!) Google it up, you it may be just what you Need! ;)

2 nice properties, the Holiday Inn and the Crowne Plaza, are within walking distance of the station, particularly if you're not going in the dead of winter. Even then you can walk it, although you will be cold for those couple blocks :) I've not stayed at the HI but it gets decent reviews, and has an outdoor pool in summer.... the CP is quite nice and has a few advantages including free internet, onsite dining (pricey) adjacent food marts/convenience stores (better deal) and also easy access to public transportation to get around downtown. Been meaning to try that HI, will report back if we do.

I stayed at the hostel on the edge of Greektown on Halstead St. It was a close walk to the blue line, a very short walk to Giordano's and reasonably priced. I meant to get the hostel closer to Michigan St but it was booked up. This one was very nice, quiet and w/ lots of good Greek restaurants within a block (one downstairs).

Dan

I dont think I'm familiar with a grrektown hostel. Can you offer any additional info about it?

I dont think I'm familiar with a grrektown hostel. Can you offer any additional info about it?
http://www.chicagoparthenonhostel.com/

It's a small doorway that I believe is between two Greek places. I walked by it when I was looking for it. Oops, there it is. No elevators. Bathroom down the hall. Clean room. Served my purpose fine for about $100 a night (two folks). It's just over half a mile walk/drive from Union Station. Neighborhood seemed very safe to me. There was a mini Walmart grocery store about 1/2 of a mile north of the hostel.

Dan

My last stay in downtown Chicago was the Hampton Inn on Monroe Street.

Clean, well appointed room and good breakfast.

It is called the Parthenon. Xmas day during my layover I walked over to check it out for future reference. I decided no thanks. I didn't like the general smell and I didn't like the shower I was shown. The room looked fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would second Sarah's thoughts on the Club Quarters hotel on Adams St, just a short walk to Union Station and a block to the EL, free water dispenser on each floor, nice rooms and plenty of places to grab breakfast in the morning next door and across the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is called the Parthenon. Xmas day during my layover I walked over to check it out for future reference. I decided no thanks. I didn't like the general smell and I didn't like the shower I was shown. The room looked fine.
I've stayed in Guest Quarters Hotels in Several Cities and I agree with the other Posters that like the Chicago Ones!

IMO The Hostel International. on Congress is MUCH Better in All Aspects than the Greektown One! In all Honesty Though, when it comes to Paying $90 for a Private Room for 2 I would prefer to stay in a Regular Hotel for a Similar Price! The Dorm Rooms @ $35 or So are a Much Better Deal Especially if you are Traveling by Yourself!

[SIZE=11pt]Speaking of the Greektown area, I just happened to run across a blog entry yesterday about the New Jackson Hotel. It’s cheap if that’s what you want, about thirty bucks a night. Never stayed there myself and I don’t recommend it unless maybe you are looking for a seedy adventure. I won’t link to the blog, Murder Motels, because of bad language issues, but a link to the hotel’s tripadvisor reviews will give you a feel for its amenities:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d123290-Reviews-New_Jackson_Hotel-Chicago_Illinois.html[/SIZE]

Now that looks like one of those 50 cent a night cat dumps from the 50s! Drunks, Hookers, Dope and the likely first stop from the bus out of the Penitentiary :)

I've stayed in Guest Quarters Hotels in Several Cities and I agree with the other Posters that like the Chicago Ones!

IMO The Hostel International. on Congress is MUCH Better in All Aspects than the Greektown One! In all Honesty Though, when it comes to Paying $90 for a Private Room for 2 I would prefer to stay in a Regular Hotel for a Similar Price! The Dorm Rooms @ $35 or So are a Much Better Deal Especially if you are Traveling by Yourself!
I would have stayed in a hotel for $90 if I could have gotten that. Best I could find was about $200 without using priceline or similar. For $100 I didn't mind going down the hall for a bathroom/shower visit. We were only in the room from about 10 PM until early AM (three nights). I enjoyed Greektown very much. Felt safe and looked like a ton of good restaurants. My son is not at all adventurous so we didn't sample any. Glad to hear the other hostel is better. I tried to get that one too but it was sold out for the dates I needed (early June). I booked it 4 months ahead of time which I guess wasn't enough--early Feb for early June visit.

I have stayed somewhat near the Hostel International and while it was closer to some sites I wanted to see, I did not mind getting to ride the blue line and other lines to get around the city. Both visits were equally enjoyable.

Dan

Based on our experience I have to second the motion on using Priceline. In the dead of winter especially it makes downtown Chicago surprisingly affordable. For winter as well as summer, avoid holidays or certain special events, and you can expect to pay well under 100$/night. The savings will more than pay for the cab ride from Union Station, which to most Chicago hotels is not usually more than 6-7 dollars, so 10 including the tip.

Thought I saw or someone told me that the New Jackson was closing (building supposedly sold, the longtime restaurant at street level has been gone for awhile already.) I always thought of it sort of as a flophouse where homeless and addicts would pay by the night, though, rather than anything I'd recommend to travelers. Still a few of those transient flophouses in town, serving that purpose. A few have taken to weekly rentals to try and step up the class of clientel just a bit. Be prepared to pay cash or show a paycheck stub to gain admittance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back