Chicago METRA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago would definitely benefit from RER-type service. It would be possible to provide run-through commuter trains through Union Station. The infrastructure is already there. BNSF trains could continue north on the Milwaukee line. The Southwest service trains could be extended west and north. The Joiliet Commuter trains could also provide run-through service. Ideally, the trains should run at 30-minute headways during off-peak hours.

Chicago would definitely benefit from RER-type service. It would be possible to provide run-through commuter trains through Union Station. The infrastructure is already there. BNSF trains could continue north on the Milwaukee line. The Southwest service trains could be extended west and north. The Joiliet Commuter trains could also provide run-through service. Ideally, the trains should run at 30-minute headways during off-peak hours.
I think Union would really have to be rebuilt before this could truly happen. It probably would or could eliminate the need for Olgivie and LaSalle Street as well, even if some of the trains only ran through to the yards.

It wouldn't be cheap, and would require electrification, but Metra could have a Loop tunnel linking all the lines for through service.

The plan for a tunnel north-south under Clinton Street has been around for years. The Metra Electric and NICTD run below grade and essentially in a tunnel under Millennium Park. The hard part (other than the $$$) is connecting the two with east-west tunnels.

The southern link could go under the Eisenhower Expy./Congress Pkwy., or maybe a bit farther south. The northern link would probably have to be more or less due east from the tracks coming into Union Station from the north. In other words, under or near Kinzie St. or Fulton St./Wacker Dr. I'm no engineer, so I have no idea if the Chicago River and existing tunnels would unduly complicate matters.

I don't picture all Metra trains on a more frequent electrified regional system using this Super-Loop. Some would still terminate/originate at the existing terminals. And the rolling stock would have to be different to accommodate smaller crowds getting off (and simultaneously boarding) a continuing train vs. one large crowd getting off at a terminal. But it would add a lot of capacity.

Make no small plans!

It wouldn't be cheap, and would require electrification, but Metra could have a Loop tunnel linking all the lines for through service.

The plan for a tunnel north-south under Clinton Street has been around for years. The Metra Electric and NICTD run below grade and essentially in a tunnel under Millennium Park. The hard part (other than the $$$) is connecting the two with east-west tunnels.

The southern link could go under the Eisenhower Expy./Congress Pkwy., or maybe a bit farther south. The northern link would probably have to be more or less due east from the tracks coming into Union Station from the north. In other words, under or near Kinzie St. or Fulton St./Wacker Dr. I'm no engineer, so I have no idea if the Chicago River and existing tunnels would unduly complicate matters.

I don't picture all Metra trains on a more frequent electrified regional system using this Super-Loop. Some would still terminate/originate at the existing terminals. And the rolling stock would have to be different to accommodate smaller crowds getting off (and simultaneously boarding) a continuing train vs. one large crowd getting off at a terminal. But it would add a lot of capacity.

Make no small plans!
Not be argumentative, but simply pedantic (oh no I'm turning into the Tim Traveller) - MED actually runs at grade and the ground was raised around it - I can't find the picture online readily showing how Grant Park and the area around the Field Museum were raised up with spoil from the Chicago Tunnel System construction (in fact the tunnel to the Field Museum was built at grade from Central Station with an elevator and buried - diesel fumes from the yard would sometimes penetrate the museum).

It would add capacity and make quicker dwell times at each station - MED already does that with it's three downtown stations, but the tunnels would have to be VERY deep to go under the existing tunnels and foundations that are in the loop and carefully avoid the deep tunnel system (storm drainage system), however, I think that is mostly immediately under the river in the loop/downtown area. It'd be like the Elizabeth Line in that regard with extremely deep stations.

My personal take is rebuilding Union for run through makes more sense for a more affordable and in service sooner service. Another advantage would be allowing Amtrak services to run through as well (the non-electrified ones that is).

Anyone have any Metra riding experience if so good? B(ad?
Anything more specific you want to know? I ride on a regular, but not daily, basis. It's a good system, has become more bike friendly recently. Would like to see better non-rush frequencies.

Rode everyday in the before times, now once or twice a week. My line* has the most frequencies and best on-time performance. Not happy about new fare structure and elimination of the ten-ride ticket and forcing people to the app. But on-train and in station staff are generally good.

*owned and run by Metra, with only one grade crossing on mainline (private driveway) - branches have lots of crossings and one runs in the median like light rail or an interurban. All high-level platforms as well.

Rode everyday in the before times, now once or twice a week. My line* has the most frequencies and best on-time performance. Not happy about new fare structure and elimination of the ten-ride ticket and forcing people to the app. But on-train and in station staff are generally good.

*owned and run by Metra, with only one grade crossing on mainline (private driveway) - branches have lots of crossings and one runs in the median like light rail or an interurban. All high-level platforms as well.
I am not happy about the ten-ride ticket going away either. My general riding these days has been once a week out to Glen Ellyn for class at College of DuPage so the ten-ride was perfect for me. All the fare deals now you have to own a smartphone to get.

Where is that grade crossing on the ME mainline? I don't think I ever knew about that.

I am not happy about the ten-ride ticket going away either. My general riding these days has been once a week out to Glen Ellyn for class at College of DuPage so the ten-ride was perfect for me. All the fare deals now you have to own a smartphone to get.

Where is that grade crossing on the ME mainline? I don't think I ever knew about that.
Way down in like U Park or Olympia Fields somewhere.

Metra buying battery-powered trainsets

https://x.com/Metra/status/1760378688380473349?s=20

Metra charged into a greener future today when the Board of Directors approved a contract to buy zero-emission, battery-powered trainsets. Metra will be one of the first in the nation to operate this innovative technology.

“This purchase demonstrates Metra’s commitment to cleaner power, to quieter trains, and to thinking outside the box as we plan for our future,” said Metra CEO/Executive Jim Derwinski. “We are excited to bring this technology, and its efficiency, flexibility, and reliability, to Chicago and to our riders.”

https://metra.com/newsroom/metra-buying-battery-powered-trainsets

Does anyone know why the Metra Stadler Flirts will have a "PowerPack" car? The Akku (battery) model in Europe doesn't have the extra car, but runs the same advertised range?

Does anyone know why the Metra Stadler Flirts will have a "PowerPack" car? The Akku (battery) model in Europe doesn't have the extra car, but runs the same advertised range?
May have something to do with what the customer has specified. One reason customer may specify a power pack car is it could be to have an expanded fleet in the future where some are BEMUs and other are DEMUs. The power pack car makes it possible to shuffle equipment around compatibly between the two types of MUs. Just speculating.

Metra will run hourly service seven days a week to and from O'Hare Transfer during the Democratic National Convention, Aug. 12-30. Tribune article. Metra press release. This is in addition to, and a stark improvement from, the North Central Service of seven round-trips weekdays only. Since the airport people-mover is back running and ends at the car rental facility right next to O'Hare Transfer, this sounds like a viable alternative to taxi/rideshare getting caught in traffic and the slow and less than salubrious Blue Line. With the $5 fare from O'Hare via Blue Line vs. the $3.75 Metra fare, it's cheaper too.

I hope this is a roaring success that results in permanent O'Hare shuttle service, if Metra has the rolling stock to spare for a regular operation and the freight railroads hosting part of the service (especially CN) could be convinced to continue it. The fact that it's running for over two weeks seems to me to be a good sign on both of those points.

Metra will run hourly service seven days a week to and from O'Hare Transfer during the Democratic National Convention, Aug. 12-30. Tribune article. Metra press release. This is in addition to, and a stark improvement from, the North Central Service of seven round-trips weekdays only. Since the airport people-mover is back running and ends at the car rental facility right next to O'Hare Transfer, this sounds like a viable alternative to taxi/rideshare getting caught in traffic and the slow and less than salubrious Blue Line. With the $5 fare from O'Hare via Blue Line vs. the $3.75 Metra fare, it's cheaper too.

I hope this is a roaring success that results in permanent O'Hare shuttle service, if Metra has the rolling stock to spare for a regular operation and the freight railroads hosting part of the service (especially CN) could be convinced to continue it. The fact that it's running for over two weeks seems to me to be a good sign on both of those points.
Especially if more protests block the O'Hare access road....

What I remember from the last convention (or the one in the 90's) was that the CTA cleaned all the stations around United Center and very few conventioneers took transit - they were taken by shuttle bus from their hotels.

An added bonus, if hourly service between downtown and O'Hare were to be added all day, is that this could effectively provide a very real rapid transit sort of service to a part of the city which hasn't seen such frequent and regular rail transit availability in decades. So if, for example, clocker service was established at all stops between Union Station and Elmwood Park on the Milwaukee West branch, with alternating trains serving the western burbs (Bensenville and beyond) and O'Hare, then it could well see a regular and heavy passenger traffic increase, as it now becomes viable and reliable transit speeding up immensely an otherwise long commute downtown and elsewhere. I would even imagine a lot of airport and airline service employees would make regular use of it.

A lot of the city does not (but once did*) have rail service, so that would be great. I know that Metra is gradually trying/planning to move to a more regional model than commuter model with more mid-day trains (when, of course, they could drastically increase ridership with more evening service) than just heavy rush hour service.

*Either streetcar or mainline commuter

A lot of the city does not (but once did*) have rail service, so that would be great. I know that Metra is gradually trying/planning to move to a more regional model than commuter model with more mid-day trains (when, of course, they could drastically increase ridership with more evening service) than just heavy rush hour service.

*Either streetcar or mainline commuter

* Or L..as this area once had, long ago

As to frequent evening service, I think a lot of people (even transit planners) don't realize how many people actually "go out" at night and want to be able to get home easily. Alas, CTA cutbacks going back 20 years (and incrementally since) gutted a lot of not only owl service but regular routes after 10. I've seen so many people, since and STILL, who can't comprehend how or why there is no bus for the last leg of their journey. I've advised so many people over the years how to, possibility, get to (or close) where they are going via another route still running. And neither do such cuts take into account shift workers, who may need service at 11 or till midnight.

On this very Metra route (well, the MD West) I was once taken back to a suburban station after visiting friends in Hanover Park, to catch the last inbound train on a Saturday night. "Probably pretty empty train?" they mused. "Oh, no! Several cars will be full," I noted. They were shocked and wondered why or where people could be going that time of night. They had no idea that, aside from those headed back to the city, lots of young adults were going into town to party.

* Or L..as this area once had, long ago

As to frequent evening service, I think a lot of people (even transit planners) don't realize how many people actually "go out" at night and want to be able to get home easily. Alas, CTA cutbacks going back 20 years (and incrementally since) gutted a lot of not only owl service but regular routes after 10. I've seen so many people, since and STILL, who can't comprehend how or why there is no bus for the last leg of their journey. I've advised so many people over the years how to, possibility, get to (or close) where they are going via another route still running. And neither do such cuts take into account shift workers, who may need service at 11 or till midnight.

On this very Metra route (well, the MD West) I was once taken back to a suburban station after visiting friends in Hanover Park, to catch the last inbound train on a Saturday night. "Probably pretty empty train?" they mused. "Oh, no! Several cars will be full," I noted. They were shocked and wondered why or where people could be going that time of night. They had no idea that, aside from those headed back to the city, lots of young adults were going into town to party.
Very true; my line serves a dense inner city area plus fairly dense suburbs with people who are social. The bus in the evening back to my neighborhood can be absolutely packed but somehow Metra doesn't get that hourly service isn't enough - people would take the train even if it was half hourly or better yet every 20 minutes (or still better yet every 15).

Very true; my line serves a dense inner city area plus fairly dense suburbs with people who are social. The bus in the evening back to my neighborhood can be absolutely packed but somehow Metra doesn't get that hourly service isn't enough - people would take the train even if it was half hourly or better yet every 20 minutes (or still better yet every 15).

And it also needs to run after 12:30 A.M. The only way in and out of one of the most active areas of the city, which is a nexus of entertainment on the South Side, shouldn't have the 55th Street bus as the only route of access late night.

53rd, Hyde Park Boulevard, even Nichols Park were all hopping with a level of activity one might not even see in some downtowns of other cities last night. And there was some sort of festival going on right across the street from the Metra stop to boot

Many years ago, I had some business that required my staying at he Argonne national Laboratory outside of Chicago. Two times we wanted to go into downtown Chicago during the evening. One night we drove in, the other night, we drove over to the Westmont Metra station and rode in on the BNSF line. I sure preferred riding the train! Chicagoland is really spread out, and it was a lot of driving on crowded freeways. The only problem with Metra was that the service after 10 PM was a little skimpy, as others have mentioned. But I think there's potential business; that midnight train we took back to Westmont was pretty full.

Many years ago, I had some business that required my staying at he Argonne national Laboratory outside of Chicago. Two times we wanted to go into downtown Chicago during the evening. One night we drove in, the other night, we drove over to the Westmont Metra station and rode in on the BNSF line. I sure preferred riding the train! Chicagoland is really spread out, and it was a lot of driving on crowded freeways. The only problem with Metra was that the service after 10 PM was a little skimpy, as others have mentioned. But I think there's potential business; that midnight train we took back to Westmont was pretty full.

Weekends, especially, certain commuter lines in Chicago should run about as late as they do in New York.

There is, also, a need for later reverse commute trains, as several suburbs are entertainment centers. If the last inbound train leaves around 10 no one can get back to the city or other inner ring suburbs via transit. Suburban leaders have asked for such over the last decade. But, they're typically told the resources are not available to add that extra late night train. This needs to be rethought and properly planned.

Couple questions I have about Metra just out of curiousity.

How do flag stops work? I know you're supposed to notify the conductor or be visible on the platform, but Metra trains can be long and they have pretty frequent stops. What if you board and can't find the conductor in time for your stop?

Also, why do all Rock Island trains that serve Beverly Hills and Morgan Park stop at Blue Island? Is there just not enough demand for them to continue to Joliet or is it more for operational reasons?

Some Metra platforms (Like at Halstead) seem too short for the entire train, how do you know which car will be on the platform?

Some Metra stations have platforms have a crossing going through the platform (Like Western Springs), how does that work? Do the doors open on the entire train (including those on the street)?

Metra is such an interesting railroad with so many quirks (at least to me, someone who is used to Metrolink), would love to understand their ops a bit more.

When we lived in Roselle, we saw theater shows in Chicago several times per year on Saturday nights. Rarely was Metra an option. At that time, the MD-W had trains at 10:40pm and 12:40am. 10:40 was too early for most shows (many ended after 10:30pm) and we were not going to wait until 12:40am.

When we did, the 10:40 was always a little frustrating. It appears they had a 20 to 30 year old service plan which called for only opening two cars. When the train crew made their way from the gate to the train at 10:39pm, they’d discover crush loads in those two, open some more cars, but we wouldn’t depart until 10:42 or 10:43 as they waited for people to spread out. And this happened every single time.

Back