Chicago-New Orleans or New Orleans to Chi

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celtical

Train Attendant
Hello. I am debating which way to take the train. Chicago leaves at 8pm so that would leave the daylight hours of 7am till 3pm . The northbound out of New Orleans leaves at 1.45pm so the viewing would be good till maybee 8pm. I am leaning towards flying into New Orleans and taking the train back to Chicago- Buffalo. Any ideas. Plus I wil rent a cabin.

Celtical

Both northbound and southbound trains will offer views of the bayous and whatnot north of New Orleans. Both will also offer views of the Mississippi countryside, moreso on the southbound train depending on the time of year. Only the northbound train will offer any views of the Illinois countryside south of Chicago, particularly in the winter.

:hi: As someone who has ridden the City many times and Loves New Orleans, let me suggest the Southbound train if you can only take one! Gives you time in Chicago, you get to see the swamps/area around the Big Easy in daylight and arrive at a decent time! As has been said, not much scenery between Chicago and Memphis and its nightime and the snowy corn fields of Southern Illinois arent anything to write home about! Also there are three meals on the Soutbound trip included with the sleeper, Dinner out of Chicago, Breakfast (a good meal on Amtrak LD trains) and Lunch before rolling into Nawlins where you can have fantastic food,drinks, sights and times! Have a great trip, this train is Superliner equiped, the one from Buffalo to Chicago (Lake Shore Ltd) is single level!

IMHO opinion the best part of this route is covered in daylight in both directions. That is the segment between Hammond and new orleans. Another thing to consider is arrival and departure times in buffalo. The late morning arrival of the east bound Lsl is preferable.

Since you're in a sleeper, I'd agree that southbound is the way to go, for three reasons:

1. Three meals on board, instead of two;

2. The first-class waiting area in Chicago is much better than the one in N.O.; and

3. You're less rushed in the morning ... more time to shower, unwind with a cup of coffee, and so on.

Thanks for the above information from all. Yes, the Buffalo part of the trip leaves at midnight to Chicago. Where as the New Orleans to Chicago is a more decent time at around 1pm. I will have to decide soon I am leaving around April 7th and the fares are reasonable right now.

I travelled on the train from California to Detroit a few years back without a sleeper and it was one of the best trips I have had. The scenery in the South West

was just fantastic. The food was also quiet good. So hopefuly this trip will be just as good.

Celtical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back