Chicago overnight stay question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uptheirons29

Train Attendant
Hello....i have my trip to Michigan almost finalized. Even got a free ride using AGR points from Chicago to Battle Creek on business class train...yaaayy :) OK, my question is, since this is my first cross country train trip ever, I have decided to stay in Chicago for one night after the Southwest Chief I will be on from LA stops ends the trip there. Is there a good cheap, basic, comfortable motel, hotel or even hostel in Chicago near or can be easily reached from Union Station that a single young 29 year old male Iron Maiden and train travel fan could stay in for one night and that you would recommend? :)

Hello....i have my trip to Michigan almost finalized. Even got a free ride using AGR points from Chicago to Battle Creek on business class train...yaaayy :) OK, my question is, since this is my first cross country train trip ever, I have decided to stay in Chicago for one night after the Southwest Chief I will be on from LA stops ends the trip there. Is there a good cheap, basic, comfortable motel, hotel or even hostel in Chicago near or can be easily reached from Union Station that a single young 29 year old male Iron Maiden and train travel fan could stay in for one night and that you would recommend? :)
:hi: Came to the right place bro! Google up the HostelInternational/Chicago. Excellent place, $35 a night including breakfast, centrally located,clean/easy to reacj via bus or cab, even walking if you dont have too much luggage! Ive stayed there several times, it's first rate! :)

:hi: Came to the right place bro! Google up the HostelInternational/Chicago. Excellent place, $35 a night including breakfast, centrally located,clean/easy to reacj via bus or cab, even walking if you dont have too much luggage! Ive stayed there several times, it's first rate! :)
can recc. the ESSEX INN, Mich av, great 2 star hotel, well above 2 star standard, check them out on trip adviser

Try priceline or hotwire. On priceline you choose the exact Chicago area, the star rating and you just bid what you wish to pay. On Hotwire the price is posted. On both you don't know the hotel name until you purchase. While you are not going to get anything in Chicago below $100 in summer we were able to score some very high end four star luxury accomodations for our trip there this past June for about $100 per night. Chicago lodging prices are highly seasonal. Walk in prices during peak season can get as high as $250-$300.

Well, thanks for the advice, guys. I plan to arrive in Chicago on October 1st and stay overnight until the 2nd before hopping on the Wolverine train going to Michigan. I checked out the Hostel site and it looks pretty good...plus it is interesting to me since I've never stayed in a hostel before....just own the Eli Roth movies with that title :lol:

But as for Hotwire or PL, the prices I saw for the Chicago area hotels were quite high for the 3 star ones for the most part....i really just want a place to sleep and clean myself up after the long coach class train ride, and to be able to see a little bit of the city as well. I will look up the Essex though....thank you so far for the suggestions, everyone :)

Hi,

I can add my vote to the Chicago Hostel option, having stayed there myself twice. Keep in mind that you are sharing a room with other people, but you do get central Chicago accomodation at a bargain price. You can also store your bags, to sightsee in the morning of the day you check out, if your train departs in the afternoon. One interesting thing is that you get to meet other solo travellers from around the world, and the hostel staff sometimes put on walking, booze, and culture tours in the evenings, which guests are free to join... or not!

Another option would be to get a hotel out of town near O Hare airport. Expedia shows hotels at the lower end on 1st Oct from around $60 a night. Downside is the travel out and back on the CTA blue line, takes around an hour each way, plus hotel shuttle bus time, so maybe not a realistic option for just one night, if you are also wanting to sightsee downtown.

The Hostel can get booked up at weekends, so it is worth reserving soon if you go with that option.

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Chicago is the hands down winner for "basic" and "cheap" accomodations in downtown Chicago. I'm 47 years old and stay there quite regularly. Go to Giordano's when you first arrive and then take the pizza back to HI. Store it in the frig and then eat it for lunch the next day. Breakfast is free at the HI. Also, check out Chicago Greeter. They have a free downtown tour M-F (I think) so you can do that for free as well. Make for sure you bring a combination padlock (not one with a key) and the lockers will fit a carryon bag. If I remember correctly you can catch the CTA #7 at Michigan and E. Congress to CUS. Enjoy your trip! PM me if you have any other questions.

Try priceline or hotwire. On priceline you choose the exact Chicago area, the star rating and you just bid what you wish to pay. On Hotwire the price is posted. On both you don't know the hotel name until you purchase. While you are not going to get anything in Chicago below $100 in summer we were able to score some very high end four star luxury accomodations for our trip there this past June for about $100 per night. Chicago lodging prices are highly seasonal. Walk in prices during peak season can get as high as $250-$300.
We just spent Wednesday night in Chicago (a final summer-vacation fling with our grandchildren - by train of course!). We Price-Lined our hotel, and we snagged a room at the Hyatt Regency for $70. Even better, they gave us a free upgrade to a Junior Suite when we checked in.

The holiday Inn is walkable from the station. Decent price, nice clean room! It was -4 when we were there so that made for more of a "nice run" from the station and to Giordanos and back!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back