Chicago runs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
Other than the Hiawathas are there any convenient and reasonably priced runs out of Chicago? Amtrak oneway, Metra the other works as well. I would like to avoid the LD trains based on price as the rides will be done next week and I am guessing the buckets are not favorable for those.

If it isn't completely messed up due to track work, taking the Lincoln Service to Joliet and either returning the same way or taking Metra via the Heritage Corridor (same route as Amtrak) Rock Island line (different route; you'll end up at LaSalle) might fulfill your requirements.

Alternatively, the Quincy corridor trains to Naperville (Metra BNSF line) are another option.

Fair warning, I haven't actually done either of these, though I've priced it before.

If it isn't completely messed up due to track work, taking the Lincoln Service to Joliet and either returning the same way or taking Metra via the Heritage Corridor (same route as Amtrak) Rock Island line (different route; you'll end up at LaSalle) might fulfill your requirements.

Alternatively, the Quincy corridor trains to Naperville (Metra BNSF line) are another option.

Fair warning, I haven't actually done either of these, though I've priced it before.
Thanks, Joliet has a price and frequency advantage, I also looked at the Michigan routes and New Buffalo is tempting for some beach time between trains. The line seems to be taking construction delays, I think I'm going to book New Buffalo and add on/switch to Joliet if time allows or weather dictates.

I will do a lot runs of Chicago when I go down and visit my parents...

One of my favorite is the round-trip to Galesburg. I usually do #381 CHI-GBB and then #4 back. You leave in the mid-morning and you are back mid-afternoon. What I like is you have the Superliner equipment running back including the fact you are able to have a full lunch in the diner if #4 is running somewhat on-time into GBB and of course you have the Sightseer Lounge too. The 2 hours in GBB is enough to catch brunch or head down to the 3-story antique mall which has some RR memorabilia in it. (You can do this with #3 or #5 our and #382 back, minus the diner meal)

One of my favorites is also #21/321/421 down to LCN (Lincoln, IL) and #304 back. You leave early afternoon and are back my a reasonable early/mid evening hour. You have about 45 minutes in Lincoln if the train is running on-time... I'll usually head over to the town square and walk around. They have a decent little Mexican restaurant there on the square that I will usually catch some food. There is also an antique shop across from the station, but it doesn't seem to be much open anymore. I think the same old lady has owned it since the 1960's.

I do both these to get my "train fix" on between LD trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back