Chicago to Joliet and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked fares from Chicago to Joliet and back, and it was 5 dollars each way. I could still earn my 100 points each way, and with the spring promotion have this doubled for a total of 400 points for a 10 dollar round trip. I think I will be making a couple of quickies in the next two weeks.

Dangit, why can't they have promotions this sweet around where I live? Why do I have to live on the route where they don't need them? BLECH!

This is a newbie question of the first degree, so I apologize in advance for my idiocy.

Can you not buy the ticket and pick it up at a machine and then not take the ride (but get the points)?

Or is it really true that when they lift our ticket, they really send them back and somehow match up ticket numbers with people and credit points that way?

This is a newbie question of the first degree, so I apologize in advance for my idiocy.
Can you not buy the ticket and pick it up at a machine and then not take the ride (but get the points)?

Or is it really true that when they lift our ticket, they really send them back and somehow match up ticket numbers with people and credit points that way?
The short version is that the conductor collects the tickets onboard, then those tickets are entered into a database. If the ticket does not show up in the database, no points are awarded.

I see.
I figured it was a "stupid n00b" question, but had to ask.

Thanks!
Around here , no stupid questions, only stupid answers!!!
The only stupid question is the one not asked because it's too stupid!
What if......oh nevermind :p

The short version is that the conductor collects the tickets onboard, then those tickets are entered into a database. If the ticket does not show up in the database, no points are awarded.
If one really wanted to cheat the system they could always just hack the AGR database.......not that encourage that here.

peter

Right now I have a triple point promotion, so I've been taking the Texas Eagle between Dallas and Fort Worth for 9 dollars each way. Thats 300 points or only 9 dollars!
I still win. Er, I mean, I hear you can get as many as 7 one-ways between GDL and LAX, or 11 between ANA and SNA, for 3 dollars, or 2.70 if you use one of the discounts. So I've heard. :)

I just checked fares from Chicago to Joliet and back, and it was 5 dollars each way. I could still earn my 100 points each way, and with the spring promotion have this doubled for a total of 400 points for a 10 dollar round trip. I think I will be making a couple of quickies in the next two weeks.

I think I have you beat ;)

STL to ALN - $2 each way (Lowest Bucket)

3:00P from STL to ALN arr 3:46P

go to Fast Eddie's drink beer and eat shrimp and burgers

return 6:22P arr STL 7:21P

And I get the 15% Senior discount from Amtrak (not Fast Eddie's, DARN IT!!)

New Station ?????? I know nuttink :unsure: :wacko:

In early May we left/arrived from STL Amshak, but nice Amtrak :)

New Station :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ?????? I know nuttink :unsure: :wacko:
In early May we left/arrived from STL Amshak, but nice Amtrak :)
So if you tell me . . . you have to kill me

:rolleyes:
Lean over, I'll whisper it to you - and my knife is against your ribs. DERN IT - you leaned over right into my knife. You're dead - do I still have to tell you? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Back