Chicago to Raleigh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Was just trying to get options for CHI to RGH and Arrow was showing an error for dates in December. But it worked fine for WAS to RGH.

What are the options for this route? Is the Cardinal an option? Some sort of transfer, where? Or thruway? Connecting in WAS is okay, but just wondered what else there is.

Thanks!

I'm trying the same thing for you and looks like it won't let you book a through trip to RGH. Looks like it won't let you connect to the Silver Star in WAS since it leaves at 3 PM and the Capitol gets to WAS at 1:10. Did you try the multi-city option?

Yeah, multi-city worked but that's not gaurenteed, right?

Was just wondering if there was a thruway or something from Charlotte or wherever the Cardinal intersects with the main line.

Rob

I think you need to do multi city trip, CHI to WAS, WAS to RGH

#30 and #91

no guarnteed connection.

Yeah, multi-city worked but that's not gaurenteed, right?
Was just wondering if there was a thruway or something from Charlotte or wherever the Cardinal intersects with the main line.

Rob
When I was planning a trip to Florida(that didn't happen :( ), It wouldn't let me connect to the Star in WAS from PGH on the Capitol either. if you do multicity, the connection is not guaranteed.

Hmm, last train of the day south... seems kinda dicey. But then again I can think of worse places to be stranded. ;)

Rob

Cardinal gets to washington too late in the for a connection and it runs through Charlottesville. But either way no connection possible.

You can catch the Cardinal and take the thruway bus from Charlottesville to Richmond. I still can't seem to get amtrak.com to give me that route though.

Even though the connection is not guaranteed, I've had luck with getting a hotel room anyway. Sometimes the agent doing the booking doesn't look closely at your reservation to tell. OTOH, since Amtrak requires an hour connection time between train, this SHOULD be a guaranteed connection and I think they should accomedate you anyway. Its not like your trying to make a 15 minute connection.

Interesting it does appear to work to take the Cardinal to Charlottsville, thruway to Richmond - Staple Mills, then Silver Star from there to Raleigh. But it won't show on Arrow. Weird...

assuming the roads aren't icy, that might just work...

I guess the question is, is it worth it to take the Card over the Cap this time of year? (December)

Capitol Limited to Silver Star was an advertised connection - up until about 5 years ago, or so. If it won't show up in Arrow, then you have to piece together your overall trip yourself - as you are doing.

The trouble with Arrow is that it doesn't really tell you this, nor does it offer a suggestion of how to continue. More or less, it simply states that you can't go from Chicago to Raleigh.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

I guess the question is, is it worth it to take the Card over the Cap this time of year? (December)
For scenery, the Cardinal is pretty good with the short nights Eastbound, it's westbound where you miss it all. That's providing it's not late. Which it will be.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see the cardinal's OTP .

Hello

I tried it and it says the train from Chicago to DC is about 17 hours and 30 minutes...

Why is that?

Hello
I tried it and it says the train from Chicago to DC is about 17 hours and 30 minutes...

Why is that?
Trains don't follow a direct route (like a vehicle on a highway) and make frequent stops at stations. There are also times they have to pull into a siding to allow freight traffic to pass along with "slow orders" in some areas. Considering it's approx. 700 miles from Chicago to DC, that averages out to around 40 mph. That seems about right when you consider the route, scheduled station stops, slow zones, and sidings.

Southbound you have two alternatives if you are meeting someone in Raleigh with a car. You could connect to the southbound Silver Meteor and get off in Rocky Mount, NC, about an hour east of Raleigh. Or you could connect to the southbound Crescent and get off in Greensboro, NC, about an hour west of Raleigh. But on the return leg, either of these routings will mean an after-midnight departure northbound.

Southbound you have two alternatives if you are meeting someone in Raleigh with a car. You could connect to the southbound Silver Meteor and get off in Rocky Mount, NC, about an hour east of Raleigh. Or you could connect to the southbound Crescent and get off in Greensboro, NC, about an hour west of Raleigh. But on the return leg, either of these routings will mean an after-midnight departure northbound.
If you get off the Crescent in Greensboro at 1 am you can wait for the morning and take train #80 to Raleigh around 8 am

I know you're just trying to help, but the OP posted back in 2009!

These threads live forever and are searched by people with current needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back