Chicago Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't planning any marathons just curious. I'll get my use out of my pass for sure...

Thanks for the info though I definitely have a lot to think through. I'll probably be sticking to the Els but I might do a little Metra too.

EDIT: Also any suggestions for a points run? I've done CHI-JOI and back once during a layover.
For a points run, the Hiawatha is usually a decent choice. Either all the way to MKE, or hop off at Glenview and take Metra back.

Wasn't planning any marathons just curious. I'll get my use out of my pass for sure...

Thanks for the info though I definitely have a lot to think through. I'll probably be sticking to the Els but I might do a little Metra too.

EDIT: Also any suggestions for a points run? I've done CHI-JOI and back once during a layover.
For a points run, the Hiawatha is usually a decent choice. Either all the way to MKE, or hop off at Glenview and take Metra back.
Or even Glenview by Amtrak both ways with a meal or snack nearby (places with a view of the tracks include Grandpa's, Glenview House, or the ice cream stand in season) during the layover. Homewood also makes a nice points run and allows Amtrak one way/Metra the other flexibility with the additional feature that you'll see two different Chicago terminals (Millennium Station or Van Buren St. for Metra vs. Union Station) and different scenery each way: through Grant Park and past Soldier Field on Metra, via St. Charles Air Line on Amtrak.

Back