Chicago Union Station discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

I think the CTA blue line from O'Hare will be terminating at LaSalle in September, due to engineering work...

I wonder if alighting at Jackson, and boarding the 126 bus on Adams, will therefor be the best route to Union Station?

Hi Folks,

I think the CTA blue line from O'Hare will be terminating at LaSalle in September, due to engineering work...

I wonder if alighting at Jackson, and boarding the 126 bus on Adams, will therefor be the best route to Union Station?
According to this link (below) Clinton will be open in August (IMD is Illinois Medical District - a complex of three hospitals on the near west side).

https://www.transitchicago.com/cta-announces-plans-for-forest-park-blue-line-branch-rebuild/

Hi Folks,

This is always the best route to Union Station, imho. (There are also other bus routes along Adams, all of which will get you to Union Station easily.) That said, the L will begin running to UIC/Halsted again tonight, including the Clinton stop.

I guess this means the direct connection to the St. Charles Air Line is not included :(
As the article says, this money is only for head house and platform ADA improvements and building new entrance/exits. It also includes repurposing of the old Mail Platforms for use as high level platforms for eastern trains, and some corridor trains and underground pedestrian walkways from the head house to the Mail Platforms..

Would the tracks leading to the St. Charles airline be on the east side or the west side of the tracks leading out of Union Station? IIRC the tracks on the east side which includes Amtrak's maintenance yard are owned by Amtrak. The tracks on the west side are the yard for Metra. I am assuming that Amtrak would be the one to give up two tracks. How would this impact their yard activities?

Would the tracks leading to the St. Charles airline be on the east side or the west side of the tracks leading out of Union Station? IIRC the tracks on the east side which includes Amtrak's maintenance yard are owned by Amtrak. The tracks on the west side are the yard for Metra. I am assuming that Amtrak would be the one to give up two tracks. How would this impact their yard activities?
The last diagram I saw, the ramp was between the throat of Union Station South approach and the Metra Yard.

The last diagram I saw, the ramp was between the throat of Union Station South approach and the Metra Yard.
That makes sense. There is more room for the tracks to climb and then curve to the east.

The main station in Zurich, Switzerland has an amazing number of new flyovers to improve the flow of train traffic. I had a hotel room overlooking the tracks and there was always something moving.

News is beginning to trickle out about Amtrak not getting the full ask for CHIP this year. If you have a subscription to Crains you can read the link. If you can’t the main take away is there’s a dispute with 1, possibly 2 class 1s(UP??!) about the supplemental yard space Amtrak requires. Buttigieg also noted Amtrak can apply again in early 2024 for the next round of funding.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/pol...lack-us-funding-chicago-union-station-upgradeIMG_3622.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably BNSF, which like UP runs a commuter service under contract with Metra (but minus UP's petulant drama). BNSF has its own yard for commuter trains just west of Amtrak's yard.
They could but the ramp isn’t on their property, that’s the only aspect of the project that would affect BNSF.IMG_3681.jpeg

Back