Chicago Union Station discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Greyhound station in Chicago now closed, as was rumored might happen?

It is not closed, but fully operating. However, Greyhound is also using Union Station as a stop for many buses, and even has a desk with agent on the concourse. Oddly, the bus I rode to Chicago recently passed the Greyhound station right by to, first, stop at Union Station before returning the three blocks back to its own Greyhound terminal.

As I assumed, the concourse area by the the tracks remains open nightly until the last commuter train has long left (around 12:45 A.M.) and is accessible via the river side entrances at Adams and Jackson.

IMG20240413223843.jpg

Entrance at Adams/Chicago River

IMG20240413223856.jpg

The Adams entrance is undergoing construction but remains available.
IMG20240413223827.jpg

IMG20240413223952.jpg
Entrance at Jackson/Chicago River
At Jackson there is a crosswalk (seen at distance) which leads to a CTA bus stop directly across the street, making access to downtown, the various L lines, hotels and attractions easy.

IMG20240413224019.jpg
Opposite angle (a bit blurry, apologies) of the entrance at Jackson/Chicago River.

Along Jackson there is an elevator entrance, which offers access to both the mezzanine/food court level and the south platform area.
IMG20240413224353.jpgIMG20240413224332.jpg

Ramp from Jackson to elevator

IMG20240413224430.jpg

Elevator entrance along Jackson, between Canal and Chicago River (also designed pickup/dropoff point for ride shares/taxis.)

IMG20240413224220.jpg
Elevator access at Mezzanine/Food Court level

Of course, if you're not taking the elevator, there will be an escalator from the entrance to the mezzanine/food court level.
IMG20240413224202.jpg

Looking towards the food court from Jackson side

After walking through the food court, we're again at the Mezzanine of the Adams entrance.
IMG20240414002354.jpg

Here, we'll continue down another escalator to the north atrium and platforms.

IMG20240414002323.jpg

As you can see, there are some benches in this area for commuters awaiting trains.

IMG20240413223720.jpg

There is, currently, no active construction in the atriums for the north or south platforms. Most scaffolding is in the hallway between the concourse and the Great Hall.

IMG20240414002251.jpg

North platform atrium. Also the waiting lounge for Hiawatha Amtrak service. The roped off area north of Metra platforms 13/15 is solely for Amtrak passengers and trains, typically heading north.

Let's walk off to the left and around the corner, through the corridor under construction.

IMG20240413224907.jpg

After passing by the Metra area (shown in a previous post from a few days ago) and the Great Hall off to our right, we come to the Amtrak baggage area.

IMG20240413224938.jpg

And the Greyhound counter, directly across from it

IMG20240413225007.jpg

Continuing around to the south platform atrium.

IMG20240413225038.jpg

Hey, we've arrived at the south platforms! The Metra platforms are pictured near us. The Amtrak ones are at the far end.

IMG20240413225100.jpg

Only one more train going Southwest tonight!
IMG20240413225157.jpg

Or, perhaps, your train has just arrived downtown and you want to get back up to the food court or street level at Jackson from the south atrium. Here are your escalators.

IMG20240413224626.jpg
Though the street is closed to vehicular traffic on Canal, the sidewalk is open and the concourse entrance on the east side of the street remains open.

IMG20240413224555.jpg

Entering here, you'll go down an escalator to the concourse.

IMG20240413224655.jpg

You can also take the elevator, which is working.
IMG20240414002157.jpg

Elevator from Canal St. entrance at concourse/platforms level.

IMG20240413224746.jpg
Stairs and escalator from concourse to Canal St. entrance, with elevator in distance at left.

IMG20240414002200.jpg

Need a snack? There are vending machines between the escalator and elevator, in the area where Amtrak ticketing used to be.

IMG20240413224741.jpg

Ah, and we have arrived at the entrance for Amtrak train boarding, straight ahead after stepping off the down escalator from Canal.

IMG20240414002137.jpg
Stairs/escalator to Canal St entrance/exit

IMG20240413224739.jpg
View looking north from center of concourse area.

I hope all of this helps in your time through town, be it just a layover while transfering trains or a longer visit; especially for travelers who are new to Chicago Union Station or anyone who hasn't been here and visited in awhile.

I haven't covered every entrance or exit in detail, nor pictured all the nooks and crannies, or historic highlights. I'm sure there are some other questions which are still unanswered. I'm happy to help assist in offering directions or finding your way around. And as some of my friends on this forum can attest (or, perhaps, warn you about) you might even get my personal tour of downtown should we ever meet. (Just remind me, please, what time your train leaves and when you need to be back at the station. As a local, I tend to have a "commuter" mentality of assuming you can still step aboard a minute before departure; so if you'd like to return to CUS 45 or an hour early I need to know.)

Welcome to the Great City by the Great Lake! Where every train comes to, but none pass through.

Last edited:
Oh, I almost forgot the Madison Ave entrance to the north commuter platforms. Many passengers use these staircases (no elevator or escalator) to directly access their trains, as well as a semi protected underground walkway to get to the concourse and South platforms/trains. It is also sort of a shortcut direct link between Ogilvie and Union Stations.

IMG20240413223136.jpg

Just west of the Chicago River, and the south side of Madison Ave, roughly kiddie corner from the Ogilvie commuter station.

IMG20240413223214.jpg

North platforms with Milwaukee District trains boarding

IMG20240413223259.jpg

After walking through the food court, we're again at the Mezzanine of the Adams entrance.

Here, we'll continue down another escalator to the north atrium and platforms.

As you can see, there are some benches in this area for commuters awaiting trains.

View attachment 36475

There is, currently, no active construction in the atriums for the north or south platforms. Most scaffolding is in the hallway between the concourse and the Great Hall.

Nice photo journaling on these posts, but this one looks like you're sitting at a counter with some huge coffee mugs....

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post but here goes. We are coming in from Aurora(Ill) train to get on the Amtrak to DC. Do we just stay in Union Station & find the Amtrak area or do we need to exit the building to find a different entrance for Amtrak? Thanks so much. This is all new to us.

Excellent photo documentary - only improvement would be to do this in an video/audio mode.

As I recall - - - - -
That Madison Avenue entrance - interesting in that you go down stairs (only*** no mechanical assist
elevator/escalator) to the end of the north track platforms - thence about a two block long walk
between two track platforms about the length of a total Empire Builder #7 consist to arrive at the
north track concourse and waiting room.
This short cut only for some of the Metra trains - ? Amtrak Hiawatha and the Builder on non adjacent tracks -
Danger crossing to those !
While the area is ventilated - when locomotives are in motion exhaust emissions are present ! UGH !

Excellent photo documentary - only improvement would be to do this in an video/audio mode.

As I recall - - - - -
That Madison Avenue entrance - interesting in that you go down stairs (only*** no mechanical assist
elevator/escalator) to the end of the north track platforms - thence about a two block long walk
between two track platforms about the length of a total Empire Builder #7 consist to arrive at the
north track concourse and waiting room.
This short cut only for some of the Metra trains - ? Amtrak Hiawatha and the Builder on non adjacent tracks -
Danger crossing to those !
While the area is ventilated - when locomotives are in motion exhaust emissions are present ! UGH !

There's really no passenger crossing between tracks on the north platforms. You need to walk all the way into the concourse area along one platform to get out onto another platform. Further, in order to board Amtrak trains heading north, passengers generally have to enter through the Amtrak area at the center of the concourse, rather than directly from the north atrium. Though, on occasion, if the Hiawatha is on a track at the opposite end of the north tracks, you can.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post but here goes. We are coming in from Aurora(Ill) train to get on the Amtrak to DC. Do we just stay in Union Station & find the Amtrak area or do we need to exit the building to find a different entrance for Amtrak? Thanks so much. This is all new to us.

See that photo of the south atrium concourse and platform gates? That's where you'll arrive on the Metra train. Your Amtrak train will depart from the same side, just a few tracks down. You'll probably want to wait in the Great Hall for your train to be called (or the Metropolitan Lounge, also located in the Great Hall, if you have sleeping accommodations.) So, when you get off the Metra train and reach that atrium turn left. Follow the hallway which naturally bends to the right around the corner (area currently under scaffolding) to the Great Hall, which will be on your left. You can't miss it!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I have some mobility issues and can't walk long distances or do a lot of stairs.

In that case, I might make a slightly different suggestion. Amtrak has an assisted boarding waiting area. Now, if you're in sleeper, I might still stick with the directions I gave to the Great Hall and Met Lounge. (There's even a ramp which will allow you to avoid stairs, though you've obviously had to use a few for your commuter train.) You can get a redcap from there to take you train side once your boarding is called.

But, it would be about the same distance to the assisted boarding area. So...instead of turning left in the south concourse atrium towards the Great Hall when getting off the Metra train, turn right or walk straight ahead (depending how close to center your train arrival track is) and walk down the hall towards the center concourse. Once you're there, just to the right is the Amtrak boarding area doors. (Pictured in a previous post along with the area, generally.) Through those doors and to the left is the assisted boarding waiting area. This would save you extra steps from the Great Hall when your boarding is called.

Quick question - is it possible to stay on the trains levels rather than going up to the lounge? And is there any seating there?

We'd be coming in on the Texas Eagle, catching the Blue Water. It's only about 3 hours, and both myself & my daughter are train enthusiasts who kind of just want to hang out & watch all the train traffic after maybe a quick run to the sleeper lounge for snacks & bathrooms if needed. Is there a good, mobility friendly place to do that?

Quick question - is it possible to stay on the trains levels rather than going up to the lounge? And is there any seating there?

We'd be coming in on the Texas Eagle, catching the Blue Water. It's only about 3 hours, and both myself & my daughter are train enthusiasts who kind of just want to hang out & watch all the train traffic after maybe a quick run to the sleeper lounge for snacks & bathrooms if needed. Is there a good, mobility friendly place to do that?
Unless current construction changes things the train arrival/departure level is virtually on the that same level.
Albeit about 3-4 steps or sloping ramp up to Metro Lounge Great Hall level.
The concession food court is one level above that.
And one more level to the street surface level.

There is not a great deal if any seating available except for the waiting gate trackside areas -
maybe after the renovation construction there will be more.
In the Great Hall and Metro Lounge there is seating available but during prime time and holiday times
this could be a problem - folks should not tie up seating with baggage hats coats the same as traveling
on the train. Handicap mobility impaired senior seating seems to be lacking - hope the renovation
construction improves that.

Scenic train watching is nothing to write home about in the dark hallows of CUS -
the Roosevelt Roads bridge over the south CUS tracks would be the best but not
with limited time connections - see Google Map Link for this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8675676,-87.6362898,867m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu
Map is zooom and panable - - - - -
Image is centered on the Roosevelt Bridge - some 6 long blocks south of CUS -
Take Clinton 6 blocks south and then 3 blocks east to the bridge overlook.

Weather may play a factor in your planning this excursion ?

"up to the lounge?" Are you referring to the Chicago Metro Lounge? If so, it is two levels. Normally, one would enter or leave on the lower level, which is where the bathrooms, snacks, luggage storage room and about 2/3 of the seats are located. It is level with the Great Hall, about 3 steps up from the platforms, but there is a long ramp from the Great Hall/Metro Lounge level down to the platform level, where the Amtrak coach and local commuter rail waiting rooms are located, as well as the doors out to the tracks.

You can't see the tracks from either the Hall or the Metro Lounge lower level, and can only see the ends of the trains through the windows in the doors at the platform level. I don't think they let passengers out onto the platforms except when they are boarding. I don't think there is anywhere on the upper level of the Metro lounge to look out over the tracks and watch the trains, but maybe someone knows for sure. The only thing I can think of is to exit the station at street level and walk north (EB. Wisconsin and Commuter Rail trains) or south (most Amtrak and commuter trains) a couple of blocks and look down from the street.

Few Amtrak stations, in my experience, have good places for train watching.

It is not closed, but fully operating. However, Greyhound is also using Union Station as a stop for many buses, and even has a desk with agent on the concourse. Oddly, the bus I rode to Chicago recently passed the Greyhound station right by to, first, stop at Union Station before returning the three blocks back to its own Greyhound terminal.
Thanks. I didn't think Greyhound's Chicago station was closed yet, but of course there have been rumors.

"up to the lounge?" Are you referring to the Chicago Metro Lounge? If so, it is two levels. Normally, one would enter or leave on the lower level, which is where the bathrooms, snacks, luggage storage room and about 2/3 of the seats are located. It is level with the Great Hall, about 3 steps up from the platforms, but there is a long ramp from the Great Hall/Metro Lounge level down to the platform level, where the Amtrak coach and local commuter rail waiting rooms are located, as well as the doors out to the tracks.

You can't see the tracks from either the Hall or the Metro Lounge lower level, and can only see the ends of the trains through the windows in the doors at the platform level. I don't think they let passengers out onto the platforms except when they are boarding. I don't think there is anywhere on the upper level of the Metro lounge to look out over the tracks and watch the trains, but maybe someone knows for sure. The only thing I can think of is to exit the station at street level and walk north (EB. Wisconsin and Commuter Rail trains) or south (most Amtrak and commuter trains) a couple of blocks and look down from the street.

Few Amtrak stations, in my experience, have good places for train watching.
The CUS Metropolitan Lounge is on the same level as the Great Hall. The Jackson street (street level) entrance is CLOSED - Emergency Exit Only. That Jackson St entrance 2nd story level is the only view to the outside.
Private Note: the 2nd floor Lounge is nice quiet spot of respite away from busy bustling main floor - it is accessible by elevator - no concessions - large restroom - comfortable furniture unlike the basic seating main floor.

Only views of the trains are the front/tail end from the north/south concources. Two blocks north street side to the Ogilvie Station is not much of an improvement to watch train movements although some tall buildings do have a view of the entrance/exit of Ogilvie unlike CUS where everything is underground.

As I previously posted one of the best viewing points is the Roosevelt Rd Bridge looking directly down to the Amtrak Chicago Yard.

The CUS Metropolitan Lounge is on the same level as the Great Hall.
The Jackson street (street level) entrance is CLOSED - Emergency Exit Only.
That Jackson St entrance 2nd story level is the only view to the outside.
Private Note: the 2nd floor Lounge is nice quiet spot of respite away from
busy bustling main floor - it is accessible by elevator - no concessions -
large restroom - comfortable furniture unlike the basic seating main floor.

Do you mean Canal St? I'm not familiar with any exit directly from the lounge (even emergency only) to Jackson.

Back