Chicago Union Station layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTownDog

Train Attendant
If the stars align perfectly and all trains are on time, I will have approximately 5 hours between trains in CHI. Is there anything to do, or sights to see in the vicinity of the train station, or close enough that I can get back before the CZ departs at 2PM?

I do NOT travel light, so I will have a ginormous suitcase or two, which will complicate things unless Amtrak has a secure holding area for connecting train luggage, Any ideas, suggestions, or tips are greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm sure this has been discussed on the Forums nefore, I was unable to find a thread specific to CHI station. Thanks!

Jeff

If the stars align perfectly and all trains are on time, I will have approximately 5 hours between trains in CHI. Is there anything to do, or sights to see in the vicinity of the train station, or close enough that I can get back before the CZ departs at 2PM?
I do NOT travel light, so I will have a ginormous suitcase or two, which will complicate things unless Amtrak has a secure holding area for connecting train luggage, Any ideas, suggestions, or tips are greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm sure this has been discussed on the Forums nefore, I was unable to find a thread specific to CHI station. Thanks!

Jeff
If you are in a sleeper (roomette or bedroom), you can leave your baggage at the Metropolitan lounge for free (though you should tip the red cap).

The Willis Tower (Sears Tower) is very close.

Depending on the timing and time of year, a river tour may be lots of fun.

If food is what you crave, Giordonos (sp?) Pizza if a train fan favorite. Original Chicago deep-dish pizza.

MANY MANY MANY other attractions (fantastic museums, parks, shopping, etc...) are just a short cab ride away if not within walking distance.

What types of attractions are you looking for?

Hi,

There are luggage lockers in the waiting area at Chicago. Or, if you have a sleeper ticket, you may leave your luggage in the metropolitan lounge. The Sears (now called Willis) tower is just nearby if you fancy that. There is a bus service (151?) from outside the station that will take you to the Michigan Avenue (lakefront) millenium park, or another to Navy Pier. Michigan Avenue is interesting to walk, from the Bean sculpture past the gothic Chicago Tribune building down to the Watertowers. You can buy a bus pass for $6. There is also a water taxi from near the Trib building back towards Union Station, together with waterborne sightseeing tours from the same spot. Near the Trib building also is the world famous Billy Goat tavern and grill: BILLY GOAT TAVERN AND GRILL

Ed :cool:

PS I am not sure, but if it is possible for you to CHECK your luggage onto the first train, it might be transfered automaticaly in Chicago to the Zephyr?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff
I have the same dilema for a trip from Cleveland on the CL with a layover in CHI before an EB departure. I know Chicago well, but I would rather have an afternoon to blow than a morning and early afternoon.

Sorry but what train are you coming into Chicago on?
Steve

I'm arriving from WAS on the Capitol Limited, estimated arrival 8:45AM. I do have a Roomette booked on the CZ, scheduled to depart at 2PM. The date will be August 28 which is a Saturday. I'm interested in seeing the highlights.

That being said, I have an even longer layover in WAS, arriving at 7:46AM on the Silver Meteor from Orlando, and departing on the Capitol Limited at 4:05PM (Roomette accom.), on Friday August 27.

Thanks again!

I'm planning a trip with a similar layover between SW Airlines (from Denver) and an evening departure on the Cardinal. So I appreciate advice on this question, too. I'll offer an interesting website I just found on Chicago landmarks: http://egov.cityofchicago.org/Landmarks

As far as your layover at WAS. I would go to the Capitol Building or any other of the attractions in DC and arrive at the Station around 245 300pm. Since you have a roomette go to Clubacela! Free drinks, snacks, and priority boarding. Just listen for announcements. When you arrive at CHI the Cap has a history of being about an hour and a half late but goto the Metropolitan Lounge and leave your bags there. Same in DC. The attendant will ask for your ticket and will ask if you are leaving at any point and will give you a pass so when you return you just "flash" it so the attendant(s) see it.

Steve

Jeff
Try the Art Institute of Chicago. You can eat there too.

As far as your layover at WAS. I would go to the Capitol Building or any other of the attractions in DC and arrive at the Station around 245 300pm. Since you have a roomette go to Clubacela! Free drinks, snacks, and priority boarding. Just listen for announcements. When you arrive at CHI the Cap has a history of being about an hour and a half late but goto the Metropolitan Lounge and leave your bags there. Same in DC. The attendant will ask for your ticket and will ask if you are leaving at any point and will give you a pass so when you return you just "flash" it so the attendant(s) see it.
Steve
For WAS, I also suggest the tour of the Bureau of Printing and Engraving (where they print the paper money). It's very near a Metro stop (near the Washington Monument). It's interesting to see a room with 16 palettes of uncut $100 bills. IIRC, Each palette had $32 million worth of bills, so the room had $512,000,000 in it. No samples given though. Darn.

Of course there is that small museum called the Smithsonian!

Jeff
Try the Art Institute of Chicago. You can eat there too.

It's spring!! take a walk around the park!- you can mug at the webcam by the Art Institute-- grab a bite-- :rolleyes:

Now that this topic seems to be winding down, I'll ask what to me seems to be an obvious question: why does Amtrak schedule such long layovers in Chicago? (Longest layovers are 7:10 from CL to CZ and 7:08 from TE to LSL.) It seems that recent late arrivals have been much less extreme than before.

It appears to me that Amtrak is driving away the non-tourist, through-Chicago business, which would generate more revenue than it would cost occasionally to deal with very late arrivals.

At their hubs, transit operators use a "timed transfer" of about ten minutes. Why not a standard timed transfer for Amtrak at Chicago of about three hours, with chronically late arrivals assigned a somewhat earlier arrival?

A multi-hour layover in CHI allows me to sit in the Metro Lounge and get my Internet fix prior to boarding :D

Now that this topic seems to be winding down, I'll ask what to me seems to be an obvious question: why does Amtrak schedule such long layovers in Chicago? (Longest layovers are 7:10 from CL to CZ and 7:08 from TE to LSL.) It seems that recent late arrivals have been much less extreme than before.
It appears to me that Amtrak is driving away the non-tourist, through-Chicago business, which would generate more revenue than it would cost occasionally to deal with very late arrivals.

At their hubs, transit operators use a "timed transfer" of about ten minutes. Why not a standard timed transfer for Amtrak at Chicago of about three hours, with chronically late arrivals assigned a somewhat earlier arrival?
It's not that Amtrak is deliberately scheduling such long layovers to deal with late trains. It's far more complicated than that. And there are some connections that are less than 3 hours, like the Builder to the Cardinal.

Factors that affect how long a layover might be are; how many trains can Amtrak handle arriving & departing at the same time in Chicago, schedules of the various trains at major cities along the way and the other end point, cleaning the inbound train in time for its outbound departure, and of course what windows was Amtrak able to get from the freight hosts.

I have a question reagarding one of the OP's original questions: isn't it possible to check your luggage all the way through? We will be catching the Lake Shore Limited from Boston, connecting to the Empire Builder to Portland, connecting to the Cascades to Eugene ... will we need to collect our luggage at any point? I know that not all stations have checked luggage .... just hoping that we won't need to collect, and re-check in our luggage. I know that when we caught the CS to Portland from San Francisco, to connect to the EB we did not need to collect our luggage in Portland ... of course, this was when they connected in Portland ... I know they no longer have a same day connection there ... we did love the Metropolitan Lounge, though!!

Here's my suggestion:

Check your bags and then walk up the main staircase in Union Station's Great Hall. You'll find yourself on South Canal Street. Turn left and walk north about a half block until you reach Adams Street, cross Adams (there's a CVS drugstore on the corner) and then turn right and cross Canal. Walk east until you reach the river, then turn left and walk along the elevated riverfront for about two blocks until you come to 2 North Riverside Plaza. It's a tall 1930s-era building with a CVS on the ground floor. Just past the CVS is the entrance to Chicago Water Taxi; descend the stairs to the river level to board the boat.

For a $2 fare, ride the Water Taxi to Michigan Avenue. Along the way, you'll pass a number of recognizable buildings including the Merchandise Mart and Marina City before the boat docks between the Trump Tower and the Wrigley Building right next to the North Michigan Avenue Bridge. Walk up the stairs and turn right and you'll find yourself on Lower North Michigan. A block north is Billy Goat Tavern. Climb the stairs and you'll find yourself on upper North Michigan Avenue. Depending on how much time you have, you can stroll along North Michigan and do some shopping or have an early lunch in a restaurant.

To return, catch the Water Taxi again at Michigan Avenue -- or just take a regular taxi back.

Chicago Water Taxi information.

Here's my suggestion:
Check your bags and then walk up the main staircase in Union Station's Great Hall. You'll find yourself on South Canal Street. Turn left and walk north about a half block until you reach Adams Street, cross Adams (there's a CVS drugstore on the corner) and then turn right and cross Canal. Walk east until you reach the river, then turn left and walk along the elevated riverfront for about two blocks until you come to 2 North Riverside Plaza. It's a tall 1930s-era building with a CVS on the ground floor. Just past the CVS is the entrance to Chicago Water Taxi; descend the stairs to the river level to board the boat.

For a $2 fare, ride the Water Taxi to Michigan Avenue. Along the way, you'll pass a number of recognizable buildings including the Merchandise Mart and Marina City before the boat docks between the Trump Tower and the Wrigley Building right next to the North Michigan Avenue Bridge. Walk up the stairs and turn right and you'll find yourself on Lower North Michigan. A block north is Billy Goat Tavern. Climb the stairs and you'll find yourself on upper North Michigan Avenue. Depending on how much time you have, you can stroll along North Michigan and do some shopping or have an early lunch in a restaurant.

To return, catch the Water Taxi again at Michigan Avenue -- or just take a regular taxi back.

Chicago Water Taxi information.

Great ideas on the water taxi and the Goat. The Billy Goat is of legend (Saturday Night Live fame).

Other fun establishments in the area are the House of Blues (Sunday gospel brunch) http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/clubvenues/chicago/

and Dick's Last Resort. http://www.dickslastresort.com/domains/chicago/

I have a question reagarding one of the OP's original questions: isn't it possible to check your luggage all the way through? We will be catching the Lake Shore Limited from Boston, connecting to the Empire Builder to Portland, connecting to the Cascades to Eugene ... will we need to collect our luggage at any point? I know that not all stations have checked luggage .... just hoping that we won't need to collect, and re-check in our luggage. I know that when we caught the CS to Portland from San Francisco, to connect to the EB we did not need to collect our luggage in Portland ... of course, this was when they connected in Portland ... I know they no longer have a same day connection there ... we did love the Metropolitan Lounge, though!!
Since the OP didn't tell us what station he's leaving from, much less what station he's traveling to, we can't really know if it is possible for him to chack his bags through. If both stations do have checked bags, then yes he could check them through.

As for your question/trip, as long as you make sure to tell the redcap in Boston when you check your bags and show them your tickets to Eugene, your bags will be handled by Amtrak all the way. You won't need to pick them up at any point and recheck them. But again, make sure that you show all tickets and specify that you're traveling to Eugene. If you only show the first ticket to Chicago, then the Redcap might only check your bags to Chicago. They should put EUG tags on all of your bags.

As for the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, that connection was broken for a few years and they were bussing people instead. But that connection has now been restored back to Portland, unless there is a problem.

Since the OP didn't tell us what station he's leaving from, much less what station he's traveling to, we can't really know if it is possible for him to chack his bags through. If both stations do have checked bags, then yes he could check them through.

As for your question/trip, as long as you make sure to tell the redcap in Boston when you check your bags and show them your tickets to Eugene, your bags will be handled by Amtrak all the way. You won't need to pick them up at any point and recheck them. But again, make sure that you show all tickets and specify that you're traveling to Eugene. If you only show the first ticket to Chicago, then the Redcap might only check your bags to Chicago. They should put EUG tags on all of your bags.

As for the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, that connection was broken for a few years and they were bussing people instead. But that connection has now been restored back to Portland, unless there is a problem.
I was so glad when the Klamath Falls-Pasco bus bridge from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder ended. Since then, I have never had any problems with my Portland connection eastbound. Watching the CS' on time performance, I know that there have been some infrequent days in has missed the EB connection. Someone on the board said that when that is predicted, they proactively bus passengers connecting using the old bus bridge.

It's not that Amtrak is deliberately scheduling such long layovers to deal with late trains. It's far more complicated than that. And there are some connections that are less than 3 hours, like the Builder to the Cardinal.

Factors that affect how long a layover might be are; how many trains can Amtrak handle arriving & departing at the same time in Chicago, schedules of the various trains at major cities along the way and the other end point, cleaning the inbound train in time for its outbound departure, and of course what windows was Amtrak able to get from the freight hosts.
Nobody suggested that Amtrak is scheduling trains deliberately for long and inconvenient Chicago connections, but they have had about four decades to bring convenience to the mess of arrivals and protracted departures. During this period, freight carriers have modified their schedules many times, giving Amtrak many opportunities.

If Amtrak had a plan for optimized connections from the first, they could have insisted on incremental improvements for their schedules as those carriers changed their own operations.

Successful businesses learn how to adjust their operations to suit the customers' needs, and they get more customers as a result.

Nobody suggested that Amtrak is scheduling trains deliberately for long and inconvenient Chicago connections, but they have had about four decades to bring convenience to the mess of arrivals and protracted departures. During this period, freight carriers have modified their schedules many times, giving Amtrak many opportunities.

If Amtrak had a plan for optimized connections from the first, they could have insisted on incremental improvements for their schedules as those carriers changed their own operations.

Successful businesses learn how to adjust their operations to suit the customers' needs, and they get more customers as a result.
For discussion's sake, let's assume that the goal was to have all long distance trains that connect west bound in Chicago with the Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Southwest Chief arrive no more than two hours from their departure, and that the EB, CZ and SWC arrive in Chicago to connect with the CL, LSL and all other CHI departing LD trains within two hours of their departure. It would seem to me that would be a scheduling, capacity and logistical disconnect (though passengers would love the shorter connections). Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back