Chicago Union Station Overnight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the station is closed for a few hours during the night.

If it's a guaranteed connection, ask Amtrak for a hotel voucher.

If it's not a guaranteed connection, use the app Hotel Tonight (or Hotwire, etc) to find a hotel near the station. It's really easy to get Uber or a cab in that area.

If you're concerned about missing the 6:00 Wolverine back to Michigan, check with your conductor and/or the Amtrak customer counter. More often than not, they use a bus or van to get people back to Michigan (depending on the number of passengers).

It depends.

Technically, the station is closed overnight. However, if you arrive on say the EB and it doesn't arrive until 4 am, they will probably let you stay in the Metropolitian Lounge until morning. However, you can not expect to get off say the CZ that arrives at 7 pm or just arrive "from work" and "find out" you missed the Cardinal that left an hour before, and expect to stay in the station overnight.

If it's not a guaranteed connection, use the app Hotel Tonight (or Hotwire, etc) to find a hotel near the station. It's really easy to get Uber or a cab in that area.

If you're concerned about missing the 6:00 Wolverine back to Michigan, check with your conductor and/or the Amtrak customer counter. More often than not, they use a bus or van to get people back to Michigan (depending on the number of passengers).
There wouldn't be a hotel voucher because there's a thru-way bus already scheduled......but it doesn't leave until 10, meaning wouldn't get to Kalamazoo until 3am. I don't wanna ask anyone to pick me up that late....and cabs, including Uber, are a joke at that time of night, so I'm thinking of parking in the Arcadia ramp.....(but for 14 days it will cost a fortune!)

... if you arrive on say the EB and it doesn't arrive until 4 am, they will probably let you stay in the Metropolitian Lounge until morning.
That exact thing happened to me in Dec 2013. It was a 4am arrival, and they opened up the Metropolitan Lounge for ALL the connecting passengers (coach, too) that were catching early morning trains. They pretty much left us to our own devices until the regular morning staff arrived, but at least we had comfy chairs and rest rooms.

They would have given us hotel vouchers, in fact they had originally booked us for an afternoon connecting train (assuming we'd want to spend a good part of the day sleeping). But since we arrived in a roomette, and had enough warning of the untimely arrival to get to bed quite early the evening before, we opted to change to the first Lincoln Service out of CHI.

There wouldn't be a hotel voucher because there's a thru-way bus already scheduled......but it doesn't leave until 10, meaning wouldn't get to Kalamazoo until 3am. I don't wanna ask anyone to pick me up that late....and cabs, including Uber, are a joke at that time of night, so I'm thinking of parking in the Arcadia ramp.....(but for 14 days it will cost a fortune!)
Yes, in that case, it would be cheaper to spend the night in Chicago and then take the 7:20 (?) Wolverine home the next morning. I've been able to get hotels, near the Loop, for around $80/night using the Hotel Tonight app.

Even if I parked in the Arcadia ramp, I wouldn't want to walk in that area alone at 3 a.m. It's become pretty sketchy, even when there are pedestrians around.

Yes, in that case, it would be cheaper to spend the night in Chicago and then take the 7:20 (?) Wolverine home the next morning. I've been able to get hotels, near the Loop, for around $80/night using the Hotel Tonight app.

Even if I parked in the Arcadia ramp, I wouldn't want to walk in that area alone at 3 a.m. It's become pretty sketchy, even when there are pedestrians around.
A hotel is probably what I'll do. There's still a better than 50/50 chance I'll make the 6pm train....just planning ahead just in case.

For an inexpensive overnight check out http://www.ChicagoParthenonHostel.com

A short cab ride from CUS in Greektown at: 310 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60661

312-258-1399

Not extremely plush, but reasonably safe and clean. Beats spending $250 elsewhere.

I would rather use Uber then a cab. Cab drivers sometimes drive very aggressive. For instance I was in Harrisburg back in February at the NS Harrisburg Division office. The cab driver was doing 85mph on the stretch of highway we had to take. I choose to take Uber back to the Amtrak station and the guy drove the speed limit and took a way that avoided all the traffic in the area. I'd rather use Uber then a cab any day of the week.

For an inexpensive overnight check out http://www.ChicagoParthenonHostel.com

A short cab ride from CUS in Greektown at: 310 S. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60661

312-258-1399

Not extremely plush, but reasonably safe and clean. Beats spending $250 elsewhere.
Or you can just walk west on Jackson blvd. :p Greektown is relatively safe because it is a university area.
I checked and it's less than 1/2 mile.....would definitely walk instead of the cab.....thanks.

I have stayed in both Hostels and like the HI @ 24 East Congress Parkway much better than the Greektown one! Great little cafe with wonderful Cuban sandwiches in the lobby and breakfast in the hostel is included in the price!

Really helpful and friendly staff as well as a diversity in clients that is amazing! Wonderful experience! Except for the one in Sacramento its my favorite in the US!!/

Its located a block from Lake Michigan, State and Michigan Avenues are just around the corner and the L and Bus lines run right past the Building!

Its walkable in nice weather from Union Station, but buses and cabs will take you to/ from it easily!

Google up both places and read reviews, check out the amenities and locations, prices etc and make your choice! You really can't go wrong @ either for the price!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed in both Hostels and like the HI @ 24 East Congress Parkway much better than the Greektown one! Great little cafe with wonderful Cuban sandwiches in the lobby and breakfast in the hostel is included in the price!

Really helpful and friendly staff as well as a diversity in clients that is amazing! Wonderful experience! Except for the one in Sacramento its my favorite in the US!!/

Its located a block from Lake Michigan, State and Michigan Avenues are just around the corner and the L and Bus lines run right past the Building!

Its walkable in nice weather from Union Station, but buses and cabs will take you to/ from it easily!

Google up both places and read reviews, check out the amenities and locations, prices etc and make your choice! You really can't go wrong @ either for the price!
Thanks....I will check out this one too! Will definitely be using one or the other when I miss the 6pm Wolverine. By the way, I have missed the Wolverine but the thruway bus was right there and we left immediately....arriving in Kalamazoo at 10, which was fine. It's the 3am arrival now that is a BIG problem..... .

Cab drivers sometimes drive very aggressive.
About 30 years ago I hailed a cab in midtown Manhattan at 3:30 pm on a weekday, told the driver that I had a 4:15 flight out of LGA, and offered him $25 extra if he got me to the airport on time. He drove like a bat out of hell, and I made my flight. True story and I lived to tell about it. (Back in those days, getting through security was fast.)

I saw a nice free parking lot at the station in Niles last month. I stopped in the morning for a picture before driving the rental car back to Galesburg.
I looked it up and yes, it says there are 50 safe parking spots there that can be used for long-term parking for Amtrak riders....wow would that be nice. I found a way to park almost free during a short 5-day trip in January....parked at local grocery store, took city bus from there to Amtrak station for only $1.50.

Next week trip will be 14 days tho......a little too long to leave it there. Plus, what this thread is about......if I miss my 6pm connection to Kalamazoo and take the thru-way bus home, it won't get here until 3am.......(no city buses running then, that's for sure.) Plus just checked with parking garage across from station.....there are no discounts for long-term parking.....a straight $9.70 a day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back