Chicago Union Station Waiting Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kal-tex

Train Attendant
We usually travel through Chicago as part of a long-distance trip that involves sleeper accomodations - hence we have access to the Metropolitan Lounge. Last week, however, we took a day trip to Chicago. Of course there was no problem with our arrival - off the train, through the station, out the door, and into a cab. Later that day, as the time of our departure approached, we headed to the station - about an hour before our scheduled departure time. Every seat in the waiting area was occupied, and there were long lines at each of the gates. There were about 75 people in the line for our train - and this an hour before departure! I realize that space is limited, but is there any consideration being given to easing the situation somehow? It seems a shame that the Great Hall sits empty while hundreds of passengers must stand and wait! (I know! I know! The Great Hall is too far away from the gates.) Are there any other options?

We usually travel through Chicago as part of a long-distance trip that involves sleeper accomodations - hence we have access to the Metropolitan Lounge. Last week, however, we took a day trip to Chicago. Of course there was no problem with our arrival - off the train, through the station, out the door, and into a cab. Later that day, as the time of our departure approached, we headed to the station - about an hour before our scheduled departure time. Every seat in the waiting area was occupied, and there were long lines at each of the gates. There were about 75 people in the line for our train - and this an hour before departure! I realize that space is limited, but is there any consideration being given to easing the situation somehow? It seems a shame that the Great Hall sits empty while hundreds of passengers must stand and wait! (I know! I know! The Great Hall is too far away from the gates.) Are there any other options?
There are (were?) plans to move some functions (Metropolitan Lounge and, I think, restrooms and ticket counters) out of that area and into the Great Hall portion of the station to open up more space in the waiting lounges. But, I'm not sure what the status of those plans are.

I make the KAL-CHI day run fairly frequently and it's a common problem. One person will start standing in front of the gate (for whatever reason). Give it five minutes and there's a line. It's just silly; they'll pre-board all the seniors and business class people first anyway. There's absolutely no mileage in lining up. Once, I saw a different train get announced but someone thought it was their train and got in line--sure enough, we had a huge line for a train that wasn't even on the track yet. Part of the problem is that Amtrak doesn't do much to manage the south concourse except to keep people out of the forward lounge and track area. Communication down there is terrible.

They could, and should, do a better job of utilizing the space of the Great Hall. For how many years was that the MAIN waiting room, for hundreds of daily trains?

Move the Amtrak ticketing, and Met Lounge to the area's around the Great Hall, and make increase the space down on the concourse. Or, better yet, use the Great Hall for it's intended purpose....I really wouldn't care if they put nice comfortable chairs, couches, and TV monitors in there, as long as they could keep it to ticketed Amtrak passengers.

Maybe they rent it out too often to make that practical, I have no idea. But there is a TON of space at CUS, and not just on the main floor, which everyone sees.......

It seems as though there is plenty that could be done. Perhaps the ideal situation would be to remove the office building (222 S. Riverside, I believe) that is on top of the concourse area. But, as that is very unlikely, there are still many more realistic steps that could be taken to help reduce the congestion and open things up. As rrdude said, move more functions back into the Great Hall, so that more space is opened up in the concourse/Amtrak waiting lounges area. The Midwest High Speed Rail Association has such a proposal at www.downtownairport.com.

Does Amtrak own the station or do they rent space?

If they own it, they would probably loose rent revenue it they used more of their own space.

If, on the other hand, they rent their space, they would probably have to pay more for additional non-revenue-generating space.

Might either of these be part of the reason?

As someone who frequently has to change trains/wait in CUS I am following the updates on this story as they occur! When the Metro Lounge was being remodeled the temporary lounge was off the Great Hall where I believe a gallery is now located?

Frequently the Great Hall is not available for passengers and visitors to use as an "event" of some kind is being held (as the previous poster said I guess revenue is raised this way)and the benches are all removed and no access is available.

Of course during the commuter rush hours the station is hectic, even the escelators are running down to the platform levels and it's hard to get up to the food court!I frequently see the Amtrak waiting rooms jammed with people, no seats, long lines and has been mentioned poor information/communication with the gate attendants.

The Metro Lounge, as most know, can be very full in the afternoons while all the Western trains are arriving/departing, other times, ie in the mornings, it is almost empty!

If the ticket counters,info counters and all the various Amtrak "offices" could be moved to the Great Hall side, even upstairs in the case of lots of the non-passenger offices, this would allow expansion of the waiting rooms. The Lounge could even be moved upstairs, seems to work in the Eastern Stations, they lead you to the trains anyway, the present location is too small so this should open up more room for the coach passengers that have to wait in such crowded conditions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Amtrak own the station or do they rent space?

If they own it, they would probably loose rent revenue it they used more of their own space.

If, on the other hand, they rent their space, they would probably have to pay more for additional non-revenue-generating space.

Might either of these be part of the reason?
Amtrak owns Chicago Union Station. I don't think anyone is necessarily talking about removing rent-paying businesses to make way for Amtrak space, just reusing currently unused (or underused) spaces.

EDIT: I suppose if more functions are moved into the Great Hall, it probably could not (at least should not) be rented out for events as it currently is. That, I suppose, would reduce rental income. However, with more foot traffic through the Great Hall, perhaps it would be possible to rent some of the spaces in that area to permanent rent-paying businesses (restaurants, snack/gift/news shops, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree, the CUS waiting room and general boarding area (South) could be greatly improved. It's very disorganized, tends to be a "cluster" and is difficult for passengers to manuever with all the long lines at each gate. It would seem beneficial if each gate had it's own enclosed waiting area vs. one large room for all gates. The gates could then be better "controlled" when they call for the boarding of senior citizens/families prior to general boarding. This would most likely require more space, though.

I was traveling through CUS when the Metro Lounge was being renovated. I thought the temporary one they used off the great hall was very sufficient although I seem to recall that it had an air-conditioning problem.

I am curious about something brought up in a couple of the comments. When the announcement comes about boarding senior citizens and families with small children first, how do the waiting room attendants determine what constitutes a senior citizen? Do they check the tickets to see if there is a senior citizen discount stated on it? I'm quickly approaching 60 but in no way appear that old (so I've been told :lol: ). Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back