Chief on the ground?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
Does anyone know anything about the Southwest Chief going on the ground in Kansas City on Saturday? According to this website 3 put a sleeper on the ground over the weekend. Anyone have info?

I just checked the train's website, and they had nothing about the Chief. The Canadian derailed up in Canada yesterday, and was reported in Trains within 24 hours. So if there nothing about the Chief in there, I would hesitate to believe other sources unless it is like CNN or something.

Car did not go on the ground. There was a fire (might have been electrical, I'll double-check) in the car. Car was set out. Fortunately for the passengers, there was a deadheading sleeper in the consist, which was put into service.

***Update.

There was a fire in a lower-level electrical cabinet. I don't know the extent of the damage. The car was deadheaded on train 304 to Chicago the next day, and my impression is that it should be repaired in relatively short order. However, I could be wrong on that.

Back