CHOICES!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Hey,

I am planning a trip for the coming summer and I have narrowed it down to taking the Cap. Ltd. and SWC to Los Angeles and going down to San Diego and several Beaches along the surfline, or taking the Cap. Ltd. and the California Zephyr to San Francisco. I was pretty dead set on the SWC and LAX until my mom asked about the CZ. I hadn't really considered it. Anyways, now that this has been thrown into the mix, i was looking for some input.

I have ridden 3/4 before and spent a day in Los Angeles, but i have never been to San Diego or any of the West Coast Beaches.

I have never ridden 5/6 before, but have heard that there have been reliability issues in the past with the train. Also, I have never been to San Francisco. I like beaches, are there any in the area?

What would some of the Merits and drawbacks be of each of the itineraries?

Also, we would be returning home via Airplane...

Thanks,

Jon Parker

If you are looking to go in the ocean then San Diego is the place, not SF. Altough San Francisco is great place to visit.

The reliability issue on coast starlight has been resolved, more or less, if that was one of your questions.

Pros of the LAX/SAN choice include the weather and water will be warmer, and the Surfliner between LAX and SAN runs right along the beach at times! (Sometimes within 100-200 feet or so!)

Pros of the SFO route include IMHO the most scenic rail journey on Amtrak currently - especially Denver to Grand Junction and Reno to Sacramento! :) I don't know the beach situation.

BTW - If you don't mind traveling, there is a LONG way that you can take to go to San Diego from the CZ! :D You can get off in SAC, and go through Bakersfield to LAX and SAN. (But it is via bus from BFD - and at night! :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - If you don't mind traveling, there is a LONG way that you can take to go to San Diego from the CZ! :D You can get off in SAC, and go through Bakersfield to LAX and SAN. (But it is via bus from BFD - and at night! :eek: )
Or one can just overnight either in SAC or the Bay Area and then catch the CS the next day to reach LA. :)

The bus ride from BFD to Los Angeles is only about two and a half hours--not that bad. But even though it's a longer option, I would definitely recommend overnighting in SAC (or the Bay Area, even) and taking the Starlight the next day.

I would not opt for San Francisco if you like beaches and want to go into the water. My sister lives 1/4 to 1/2 mile from one in San Francisco. The beach side of SF gets more fog and clouds so air temps are not so hot. Plus, the water is rather chilly there too. San Franicsco is a great city, just not a beach one.

San Diego has glorious weather. Warm and sunny in the summer for the most part. I"d live there if I could afford the housing costs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either city but if you want to go into the water, choose San Diego.

DanO

Take the #5 to EMY tour SF, ride the cable cars, see the cable car musuem then take BART to the SF airport and fly SWA airlines to LA for $59 one way and then hang out in LA and San Diego, take the Surfliner trip, then you would get the best of both worlds then. The flight from SF to LA took less than one hour. We flew into Bob Hope Airport which was alot less stressful then LAX. But I have heard that LAX has a shuttle to LAUS.

Take the #5 to EMY tour SF, ride the cable cars, see the cable car musuem then take BART to the SF airport and fly SWA airlines to LA for $59 one way and then hang out in LA and San Diego, take the Surfliner trip, then you would get the best of both worlds then. The flight from SF to LA took less than one hour. We flew into Bob Hope Airport which was alot less stressful then LAX. But I have heard that LAX has a shuttle to LAUS.
Either works fine to get to LAUS--BUR has trains almost every few minutes to Union Station, and LAX has half-hourly Flyaway buses

If you have the time, the Coast Starlight run down the coast is definitely worth doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back