Christmas morning shooting on the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is standard especially with small departments. It’s a conflict of interest to have the local police investigate themselves. I won’t speculate about what happened, but, if the article above is to be believed, this points to a bigger issue. Amtrak employees let all sort of people on to trains who don’t belong there. On my loop trip this summer, I encountered threatening people in obvious psychiatric distress on the Zephyr and the Builder (that guy was also toasted) and nothing was done about either. People tried to tell the coach attendant on the Builder and nothing was done at all. Nevertheless, what a Christmas tragedy.

We don’t know the whole story but not good optics. Is it normal to take the shooting investigation away from local police within a couple hours of the event?

“The Attorney General’s Office will be taking over the investigation.”
Not at all unusual with officer involved shootings, at least in California.

It could be that the man who got shot on the Starlight was threatening a police officer with a weapon. Lethal force is justified but only if there is an imminent threat to someones life.
Also, AFAICT it was the middle of the night in a poorly-lit car (because of nighttime lighting settings)...

The witness in the story said he heard 8-10 shots. For crying out loud, in a dark enclosed train car with however many passengers, is it necessary or reasonable to unload a gun that many times?
I'll not question 1 shot and maybe 2 but after that under those conditions of a crowded train, there needs to be some detailed explanation given. Not that I expect any beyond very general CYA type stuff.

Rural police in general are poorly paid and trained. On top of that I would assume officers with the least seniority get stuck working on a major holiday like Christmas. Optics don’t look good for Amtrak or the police but the benefit of the doubt has to be given. Hopefully this force has body cams.

I ave a friend who lives in Mt. Shasta. It is about 3200 people, or twice the size of my closest town, which decided a few years ago that it could no longer afford a city police force, and now relies on our county sheriff. My friend says the force is small, and I would bet there was no body cam. It is not normal for them to deal with a shooting, either by a policeman or a civilian. This will be hard on them.

The presence of arms or even the type of arms are not the only threat factor that comes into use of force decisions. There are a few factors I can think of specific to passenger train cars that would weigh in and remember this is made in a few seconds (if that).

My main question would be how did this person get on the train? Did he have a ticket? What were his other interactions with crew? Obviously, they were of a nature that made the crew call for police response.

An unarmed man. Okay. They succeeded.
Given the information available, that seems an inappropriate statement. Nothing has been confirmed at all. We have an account on the internet of a presumed witness who doesn’t claim to have seen the alleged escalation. Did perpetrator pull a shank, shiv, knife? The streets are cold, it isn’t beyond imagination that a presumed vagrant would have such a thing for self defense. These weapons are more deadly than guns at less than 21 feet. Did the guy pull a gun? Did he reach for and possible get control of the officer’s gun, taser, or other weapon? In a confined space the decision needs to be made in milliseconds rather than seconds. Should the officer have waited for backup? In Siskiyou County would help have come in moments or hours at that time on Christmas? What was the relative risk of engagement versus inaction. How was the second victim shot? Officer missed? Bullets entered/exited perpetrator? Perpetrator had control of the weapon? Was the perpetrator high? Sometimes it takes many rounds to put down intoxicated persons because of the disruption to pain sensors. I’ll grant that the cop was trigger happy is certainly a possibility needing investigation, but in light of what little evidence we do have that theory seems less likely than certain others. It seems something went really bad during the attempt to force the man from the train. If the officer decided to use deadly force, he should have shot until the perpetrator ceased to be a threat. In any case, the fact is that we know next to nothing, and we should abstain from any rush to judgment about the merits of the case until facts are established.

Given the information available, that seems an inappropriate statement. Nothing has been confirmed at all. We have an account on the internet of a presumed witness who doesn’t claim to have seen the alleged escalation. Did perpetrator pull a shank, shiv, knife? The streets are cold, it isn’t beyond imagination that a presumed vagrant would have such a thing for self defense. These weapons are more deadly than guns at less than 21 feet. Did the guy pull a gun? Did he reach for and possible get control of the officer’s gun, taser, or other weapon? In a confined space the decision needs to be made in milliseconds rather than seconds. Should the officer have waited for backup? In Siskiyou County would help have come in moments or hours at that time on Christmas? What was the relative risk of engagement versus inaction. How was the second victim shot? Officer missed? Bullets entered/exited perpetrator? Perpetrator had control of the weapon? Was the perpetrator high? Sometimes it takes many rounds to put down intoxicated persons because of the disruption to pain sensors. I’ll grant that the cop was trigger happy is certainly a possibility needing investigation, but in light of what little evidence we do have that theory seems less likely than certain others. It seems something went really bad during the attempt to force the man from the train. If the officer decided to use deadly force, he should have shot until the perpetrator ceased to be a threat. In any case, the fact is that we know next to nothing, and we should abstain from any rush to judgment about the merits of the case until facts are established.
Certainly, most of us would never want to be in the position of a police officer who must make life and death decisions within milliseconds. I don't envy their job in any way. As you say, the investigation will ultimately determine the answers to most if not all of these questions and perhaps if anything could have been handled differently.

I second waiting for the facts to come out.
I second waiting for the facts to come out.
Hopefully there are enough witnesses and a vibrant enough local press (not a guarantee nowadays) that the truth does find the light of day. I don’t want to be a conspiracy nut but I am also not naive enough to just take the police report, which is a shame it has come to that, but the truth in not always the official report either.

8 - 10 shots? If I was near the perp it would be veery upsetting. Was he armed?
Multiple shots seem to be the current law enforcement practice. I am not in the law enforcement field and do not want to "Monday morning quarterback" the situation, but to me this makes no sense. I call it "spray and pray" shooting. That is multiple shots hoping that you manage to get a couple on target. In close quarters above all else, trying to avoid "Friendly fire" casualties would appear to be critical, therefore care in aim should be most important, and along with it minimize the number of shots fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back