CIN to BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I have made many multi-train trips over the last 20+ years with hardly ever a problem. But now, I am a tad concerned about an AGR trip I have booked. I am taking a loop trip CLE-CHI-WAS-BOS-CLE in September using trains 29, 50, 66, and 449. I am using an AGR trip from CIN to BOS on my account and BOS to CLE on my wife's.

My concern, after reading several posts and comments about missed connections is with the CIN-BOS segment. The problem is with the Cardinal. I've used it several times but can't recall ever arriving within an hour of the published arrival time. I have no problem with that whatsoever being in a roomette. Recently it has had a few very late arrivals, a couple of which would have caused a missed connection with train 66.

From what I've read and thought about, if that would happen, my reservation on train 66 would be cancelled since I was not on it to show the conductor the ticket when the train left WAS. Is that correct? I know I should have gotten two separate reservations but didn't think of it at the time of booking with AGR. But, to do that, wouldn't I have had to book two AGR redemptions instead on one and used alot more points than the 15000 I used?

I have alternate plans to get to BOS if the connection is missed. However, if my reservation on 66 was canceled by Amtrak, it seems I'd lose the points involved in that reservation as well as have to pay, or make another redemption for my alternate plans.

I know there is an over 4 hour layover scheduled in WAS for the connection, but I always like to be prepared.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Well, I think actually that if you are on a SINGLE reservation, and the arriving train that you are on is late, they will automatically re-book your next train for you, and email you a change of reservation (to the address they sent the original reservation). That is what happened to me last winter when my late EB was going to miss my CHI connection to Lincoln Service. If they reserved it as a connecting train, the connection is guaranteed. It's only if you do it as two separate reservations that you are on your own dime if you miss.

If missing your connection in WAS coud cause you to have to stay overnight, they would even take care of your hotel, but I am not familiar with the schedules of WAS connections (except to be aware that they put you on the 66 from the Cardinal in WAS if you are going past NYP).

Personally, I would not worry. I've taken 50 many times aand connected to 66. I know it's late more it used to be, but I've had plenty of time to wait in the CA. In fact they have to kick me out for closing time!

If 50 was so late to miss 66, they would automatically rebook you to the next train. That train is #190, which departs WAS at 3:15 am. #190 arrives in BOS in time for #449 - you could also connect at BBY.

You could also be rebooked from WAS- NYP on #190 as Dave said, and then on #49 from NYP-CHI instead of #449 from BOS- Cleveland (if rooms are available!)

Another option if you're worried about the connection in WAS is to take the Cap Ltd #30 to WAS, (if rooms are available)then #66 to BOS and #449 BOS-CLE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for your responses. It's not a big deal, just wanted to make sure what I was thinking was OK. I mentioned I had a couple alternative plans if train 66 was missed and they were the exact ideas offered. As to the option of taking train 49 out of NYP, that may even be a little better. My wife would board our roomette on the 449 in BOS. My plan would be to take a coach reservation to Albany and then transfer to the roomette occupied by my wife. I'm sure the conductor while leaving BOS would understand what would be happening.

If I did that, I wonder if I'd get some points reimbursed since I'd lose the business class reservation segment from NYP to BOS.

Suggestion: Book the Room on #49 from NYP to Cleveland and have your wife ride Coach from BOS- ALB on #449! Its a nice ride through the Berkshires to Albany, but there is no Diner on the #449 just a Cafe Car where she could have lunch! You could enjoy the ride up the Hudson ( left side) while she enjoys the Berkshires, Win! Win!

This way your room on #49 will be on the back of the Train close to the Diner! The #449 Sleeper out of BOS is hooked up @ the Front when the switching is done in ALB and its 8 cars walk to the Diner from the Boston Sleeper!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I did that, I wonder if I'd get some points reimbursed since I'd lose the business class reservation segment from NYP to BOS.
Probably not, since a CIN-NYP redemption is the same number of points as a CIN-BOS redemption. If getting points

refunded was that easy, you'd see everyone booking beyond their intended destination but in the same zone, then

truncating their trip and asking for a partial refund. Neat trick if you can get it to work. :p

The only possibility for a partial refund of points would be if by missing the connection in WAS, you were downgraded

to coach on the next train. That's pretty unlikely, though. There would almost always be a business class seat on 190.

Also, you can not book 49 just between NYP and ALB. However, you can book 449 from BOS to ALB.
The easy workaround is to book NYP-SDY on 49 for literally the same price as a NYP-ALB ticket (based on what NYP-ALB costs on the

Empire Service trains).

Considering that this is really just the back-up plan, I wouldn't recommend cancelling the 449 redemption and rebooking on 49. It sounds like

there's a 100% chance that the OP's wife will be starting in BOS, and there's probably a 90% or more chance of the OP making it to BOS on

his originally scheduled itinerary. Whereas by rebooking the redemption on 49 out of NYP, there's a 100% chance that the OP's wife will have

to buy a coach ticket from BOS to ALB.

The only possibility for a partial refund of points would be if by missing the connection in WAS, you were downgraded

to coach on the next train. That's pretty unlikely, though. There would almost always be a business class seat on 190.
In any case, I would be amazed if any downgrade in service got a refund of points. Everytime it's happened to me I've gotten a voucher from Customer Relations, not a points refund from AGR.

Not to say that it's impossible. The only definite rule with AGR is that every rule has exceptions, including the rule that every rule has exceptions.

Back