Circular Trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris J.

Lead Service Attendant
Hiya all - i hope everyone had a good christmas and new years.

What's the view on taking a circular trip like this ..

Chicago - Washington (Capitol), Washington - NY - Boston (Acela), Boston - Albany - Chicago (Lake Shore Limited).

I think the Capitol and Lake Shore cover the same ground east of Chicago, but I think one way at least is in the dark. The other options are the Cardinal rather than Capitol, but as discussed before I might be better off on the Capitol this time.

Just thinking about options at this stage.

Cheers

Chris

I think the Capitol and Lake Shore cover the same ground east of Chicago, but I think one way at least is in the dark.
Yes, both the Capital Limited and the Lake Shore Limited use the same tracks between Cleveland and Chicago, and the eastbound run on that section is in the dark.

I think that is a good plan, and the best direction. For the Lake Shore return, the portion where it crosses the Berkshires (between Boston and Albany) can be slow, and the portion from Albany to Chicago can be VERY late! Don't make plans for something in Chicago within a few hours of your scheduled arrival!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have more time, I would do Chicago to Los Angeles, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle. Then the emire builder to Chicago. Then the Lake Shore ltd to New York. Catch the acela up to Boston and then back to NYC and then Chicago. I did this trip a few years back. Of course time for hotel stops along the way.

Bill

I think the Capitol and Lake Shore cover the same ground east of Chicago, but I think one way at least is in the dark.
Yes, both the Capital Limited and the Lake Shore Limited use the same tracks between Cleveland and Chicago, and the eastbound run on that section is in the dark.

I think that is a good plan, and the best direction. For the Lake Shore return, the portion where it crosses the Berkshires (between Boston and Albany) can be slow, and the portion from Albany to Chicago can be VERY late! Don't make plans for something in Chicago within a few hours of your scheduled arrival!
Oh, i've read about the Lake Shore Limited's OTP (or lack thereof). I'll probably be flying back out of Chicago, but the day after the Lake Shore's arrival - that way I don't need to worry about late arrival causing me to miss the flight, and also gives me a little time to look around Chicago.

Whats the scenery like across the Berkshires?

If you have more time, I would do Chicago to Los Angeles, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle. Then the emire builder to Chicago. Then the Lake Shore ltd to New York. Catch the acela up to Boston and then back to NYC and then Chicago. I did this trip a few years back. Of course time for hotel stops along the way. Bill
Sounds like a trip! I'm trying to not go over the top as it's my first trip to the US (and so my first amtrak trip). I was discussing it with a friend over a few ;) beers and he seemed interested in seeing the US from the train and car, so hopefully this will be my first trip of many.

Chris

Having pondered,considred, researched and checked prices, i've now booked both flights and the two long distance trains of my trip.

Found a good price on a flight to Chicago, and I've booked the Capitol (Chicago to Washington) and the Lake Shore Limited (Boston to Chicago). I plan to book the NEC trips in the next week, once i've figured out the final details. Aim to go Acela Business Washington to New York and Acela First New York to Boston.

Thanks to everyone for their help in planning this trip, and I'm looking forward to my US visit and Amtrak experience. I will try to get some photos on the way and will do a trip report afterwards.

Cheers

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back