City Of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TishaNola

Train Attendant
I am taking my first trip aug6th on the crescent and im very excited..

But my daughter and I decided to take The City Of New Orleans to Chicago For my birthday in October. We are going to go spend the day in Chicago and go to the american girl doll store.

Then reboard the train that night and head back ! to New Orleans

We opted to get Sleeper room both ways I know that the roomette is different on the city of new orleans/ vrs the viewliner on the crescant.

Anyone know how the meals work on the city of new orleans.

board nol 1:45 pm - 15-OCT-11;arrive chi 9:00 am

Return trip

Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI) to New Orleans, LA (NOL)

15 OCT-; 8:00 pm - 16-OCT-; 3:32 pm

We will be in Chicago on a Sat. from 9am - 8pm

We will be researching the best way for us to get to the American girl doll store that day

Also it would be cool if anyone knows any other things that we might enjoy while we are in Chicago . Remember we will be getting around with public transportation.

Not having been on the CONO, I'm not sure, but I do not believe they serve lunch northbound, but you will get dinner and breakfast. Southbound, they (I believe) board early, and they do serve dinner. You also get breakfast and lunch.

Have you BOTH signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) yet?
huh.gif
If not, send me a PM (Private Message) with BOTH your email addresses (each account needs a separate address) for a referral!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having been on the CONO, I'm not sure, but I do not believe they serve lunch northbound, but you will get dinner and breakfast. Southbound, they (I believe) board early, and they do serve dinner. You also get breakfast and lunch.

Have you BOTH signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) yet?
huh.gif
If not, send me a PM (Private Message) with BOTH your email addresses (each account needs a separate address) for a referral!
i signed myself up for the agr but not my daughter and realized tonight i realized we need to get her a separate account since i cant use my number for both of us. ill pm you the email address we will use for her im going to call and get her ticket for the aug 6th put on her own agr and the one for oct 15th put on as well

so you should be able to get extra rewards :)

Use your AGR # and refer her yourself, that way YOU get the referral bonus. you have to travel within 90 days of signing up,though so you may want to wait until your trip falls into that frame of time

Tisha did email me, and when the referral said "that email is already in use", I explained that she needs a separate email addy for her daughter, and then told her to refer her daughter herself (and get the points)! I am not THAT greedy!
laugh.gif

But my daughter and I decided to take The City Of New Orleans to Chicago For my birthday in October. We are going to go spend the day in Chicago and go to the american girl doll store.

Then reboard the train that night and head back ! to New Orleans

I've been wanting to make this trip, almost did in May for event I went to, but Amtrak cancelled the trip due to flooding in IL. I had to find other transportation which was quicker, but not nearly as exciting!

When arriving in Chicago, you'll have access to the Metropolitan Lounge, where you can leave your excess luggage for the day, then pick it up before boarding the train back to NOL.

The American Girl Doll store is at 835 N Michigan Ave, north of the river. You'll need to take the Red line and get off at the Chicago St stop. Michigan Ave is 3 blocks east of there, then the store is 2 blocks north.

Sorry, I wasn't in Chicago long enough to really explore. so don't know much about attractions. I did ride on the Orange line from Midway and the purple line from the Library stop to Evanston.

:hi: Dont know where the Doll Store is but CHI has tons of stuff to do! We've had tons of threads on CHI Activities during Layovers, please Read the old Trip Reports and threads, itll give you ideas for food,actvities, local transportation etc.

As to the difference in the rooms, Superliner vs. Viewliner, of course the Superliner is a bi-level Train but theres no window in the top bunks like on a Viewliner! :( Please look @ the neat video posted on here about Superliners!) . In most peoples opinion the Upstairs rooms are preferred, #2-#10 Roomettes (the SCA has #1)for sightseeing, walking to Diner a (CCC on this Train)/Sightseer Lounge. etc. Bedrooms A-E are upstairs also.There is one restroom upstairs, the Shower and the other Restrooms are downstairs along with Roomettes #11-#14 and the Family and H Bedrooms!

the_traveler already explained the meals in the diner(CCC, and the food and OBS are usually good on this Train!), there isnt a lot of scenery on this route since its nightime until Memphis going South, the Delta in Mississippi is still like being on the Moon but the trip into/out of New Orleans isnt bad!The Corn Fields in Illinois as the sun comes up wont thrill you but the early arrival into CHI is good!

Any specific questions, please ask! A fun trip with your daughter, as a father and grandfather it thrills me to see this! :wub:

Meals on the CONO

It has been a number of years since I rode the CONO but wnen I did NO LUNCH was served leaving NOL and from CHI as sleeper pax we boarded early from the ML to a wind & cheese tasting but NO DINNER.

Triisha - your daughter, how old is she? I ask because some are saying that minors are not allowed in wine tastings - but she can still board early and check out your bedroom.

ENJOY

Anyone know how the meals work on the city of new orleans.

board nol 1:45 pm - 15-OCT-11;arrive chi 9:00 am
Tisha,

I was on the northbound CONO a few days ago, and you are correct that they did not serve lunch after leaving NOL. I suggest that you get something before you leave -- I had a decent hot dog in the station -- and then get an early reservation for dinner. The dining car folks will come around to take dinner reservations not too long after the train leaves. As I'm sure you know, when you are traveling with kids, it's always a good idea to take snacks along just in case. The sleeper will generally have bottled water, juice and coffee, and you can get other food in the cafe on the bottom level of the lounge car.

Meals on the CONO

It has been a number of years since I rode the CONO but wnen I did NO LUNCH was served leaving NOL and from CHI as sleeper pax we boarded early from the ML to a wind & cheese tasting but NO DINNER.

Triisha - your daughter, how old is she? I ask because some are saying that minors are not allowed in wine tastings - but she can still board early and check out your bedroom.

ENJOY
There is no Wine Tasting on the CONO, as was said Dinner is served since the Train leaves @ 8PM. Last time I rode the CONO my SCA had a Dinner Rez all ready for me, once I put my stuff away in the room went straight to the Diner(CCC) and had an excellent Dinner as we rolled out of CHI, followed by the Best Bourbon Pecan Pie EVER!!!! :wub: (and it is made in CHI, not NOL!! :eek: :lol: )

Thanks Jim, I feared that my info was out of date :blush: . Gotta ride more! :eek:hboy:

Meals on the CONO

ENJOY
There is no Wine Tasting on the CONO, as was said Dinner is served since the Train leaves @ 8PM. Last time I rode the CONO my SCA had a Dinner Rez all ready for me, once I put my stuff away in the room went straight to the Diner(CCC) and had an excellent Dinner as we rolled out of CHI, followed by the Best Bourbon Pecan Pie EVER!!!! :wub: (and it is made in CHI, not NOL!! :eek: :lol: )

But the Bourbon is made in Kentucky!

Meals on the CONO

ENJOY

But the Bourbon is made in Kentucky!
Tom: So that's the Secret! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Meals on the CONO

ENJOY
My daughter just turned Nine.

:hi: Dont know where the Doll Store is but CHI has tons of stuff to do! We've had tons of threads on CHI Activities during Layovers, please Read the old Trip Reports and threads, itll give you ideas for food,actvities, local transportation etc.

As to the difference in the rooms, Superliner vs. Viewliner, of course the Superliner is a bi-level Train but theres no window in the top bunks like on a Viewliner! :( Please look @ the neat video posted on here about Superliners!) . In most peoples opinion the Upstairs rooms are preferred, #2-#10 Roomettes (the SCA has #1)for sightseeing, walking to Diner a (CCC on this Train)/Sightseer Lounge. etc. Bedrooms A-E are upstairs also.There is one restroom upstairs, the Shower and the other Restrooms are downstairs along with Roomettes #11-#14 and the Family and H Bedrooms!

the_traveler already explained the meals in the diner(CCC, and the food and OBS are usually good on this Train!), there isnt a lot of scenery on this route since its nightime until Memphis going South, the Delta in Mississippi is still like being on the Moon but the trip into/out of New Orleans isnt bad!The Corn Fields in Illinois as the sun comes up wont thrill you but the early arrival into CHI is good!

Any specific questions, please ask! A fun trip with your daughter, as a father and grandfather it thrills me to see this! :wub:
On the way there we have

<Seat(s)/Room(s)>

1 Superliner Roomette / Car 5800, Room 008

then on the way back we have .

<Seat(s)/Room(s)>

1 Superliner Roomette / Car 5900, Room 005

Both Sleeping cars are next to the CCC (Cross Country Cafe - a combined cafe and diner). Although some people say they don't like Roomette #8 due to the noise of the end door opening and closing (Rooms #9 and #10 are even closer), I personally have never heard and excess door noise in any room - even #9 or #10! Room #5 is a good room. Both are on the upper level.

Both Sleeping cars are next to the CCC (Cross Country Cafe - a combined cafe and diner). Although some people say they don't like Roomette #8 due to the noise of the end door opening and closing (Rooms #9 and #10 are even closer), I personally have never heard and excess door noise in any room - even #9 or #10! Room #5 is a good room. Both are on the upper level.
On the northbound City of New Orleans, the #5800 car is at the end of the train and it is not next to the CCC. It has the Sightseer lounge and two coaches between the car and the CCC. I'm not sure if that is the same arrangement on southbound #59.

I did not realize that! I thought the Dining Car or CCC was always next to the sleepers!
I am told that the train is arranged that way because at Chicago it turns into the Eagle, and on the days that there are through LAX cars, they get tacked onto the front of the train between the CCC and the Transdorm, Coach adjacent to CCC and Sleeper adjacent to Tansdorm. They can do this car shuffling even while parked at Chicago platform if needed.

On the northbound City of New Orleans, the #5800 car is at the end of the train and it is not next to the CCC. It has the Sightseer lounge and two coaches between the car and the CCC. I'm not sure if that is the same arrangement on southbound #59.

Wasn't that way when I last rode it northbound. In fact it was the same consist as the day before I arrived on southbound. They just turned it and no cars were changed. When did they start putting the sleeper on the rear end?

I did not realize that! I thought the Dining Car or CCC was always next to the sleepers!
I found that puzzling as well, but jis told me that the City of New Orleans trainset is turned at CHI for the same-day departure of the Texas Eagle. With the need to have a through cars to LAX three days a week, the set is arranged to allow for the split at SAS. Apparently that is also done on the days the split is not made.

My daughter (teen) and I hope to go to the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) for the Sky Deck when we have a layover there in November.

I found that puzzling as well, but jis told me that the City of New Orleans trainset is turned at CHI for the same-day departure of the Texas Eagle. With the need to have a through cars to LAX three days a week, the set is arranged to allow for the split at SAS. Apparently that is also done on the days the split is not made.
I have ridden the CONO in both directions at least 10 times and haven't seen a Sleeper on the rear yet??? I do know that the Eagle/CONO is a run thru consist sometimes, hadley and I have discussed this on various threads, but the fact that a sleeper is carried on the rear is news to most of us! :eek: I know jis knows his stuff but even though I'm not from Missouri I need someone on the scene to verify this is the case everyday! Jay are you there??? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back