CL eastbound 9 hours late on 2/28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
We boarded car 3000 on the Capitol Limited in Chicago last Sunday. Lots of lightning around Toledo, midnight. After a most restful sleep, I woke at 7:30 expecting to be a few hours from Harper's Ferry. A terrific rain storm had come through I guess between Toledo and Cleveland, and flooding was spectacular. Shortly after Cleveland, my SCA told me we were already 6 hours late. That explained the great sleep - we traveled for many hours at less than 15 mph. The trip through the mountains during the day was nothing less than spectacular. Ohio, Cumberland and Potomac Rivers were rushing along with great rapidity, and the water flowing from the mountains made this train, while so late getting into Washington, the finest train ride ever. Going slow while the lines were checked along our route was a blessing. Amtrak gave a beef stew dinner - nothing fancy but the price was right. All the attendants were very helpful. I imagine they wanted to get home after a long day at the office, but sister and I loved it. My sister commented she never saw so much water - and we live near the ocean. Thanks Amtrak for a great ride from Philly to Dallas and back.

Now planning a trip to Los Angeles from Philly and can't decide on CZ or SWC. Which trip is best in summer and should we do it eastbound or westbound - if we can't do both ways?

We boarded car 3000 on the Capitol Limited in Chicago last Sunday. Lots of lightning around Toledo, midnight. After a most restful sleep, I woke at 7:30 expecting to be a few hours from Harper's Ferry. A terrific rain storm had come through I guess between Toledo and Cleveland, and flooding was spectacular. Shortly after Cleveland, my SCA told me we were already 6 hours late. That explained the great sleep - we traveled for many hours at less than 15 mph. The trip through the mountains during the day was nothing less than spectacular. Ohio, Cumberland and Potomac Rivers were rushing along with great rapidity, and the water flowing from the mountains made this train, while so late getting into Washington, the finest train ride ever. Going slow while the lines were checked along our route was a blessing. Amtrak gave a beef stew dinner - nothing fancy but the price was right. All the attendants were very helpful. I imagine they wanted to get home after a long day at the office, but sister and I loved it. My sister commented she never saw so much water - and we live near the ocean. Thanks Amtrak for a great ride from Philly to Dallas and back.

Now planning a trip to Los Angeles from Philly and can't decide on CZ or SWC. Which trip is best in summer and should we do it eastbound or westbound - if we can't do both ways?
Nice post.....you made chicken salad out of chicken bleep :lol:

Sounds like a nice trip. :) With the exception of the late train. :eek: What train did Amtrak put you on? :eek:hboy: If you can do one way to LAX do the CZ and connect to the Cardinal and do it Eastbound! The Card goes through the New River gorge in the morning (if ontime) and is great for viewing! We did it westbound during June and luckily still had some daylight! :D But I want to ride the Card east! I can dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back