Claiming Bags at ORL and WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak839

Lead Service Attendant
We're headed to ORL on 97 later this week. If we decide to check bags to Orlando, how long would we have to wait to claim them? I know Orlando handles a lot of bags because it's such a popular destination. We'll have a bedroom suite on 97, so our other option would be to utilize that storage area on top of the bathroom. Checking bags would be the preferred option, but the family wants to get the rental car and head over to Disney as quickly as possible, without waiting 20-30 minutes for our bags.

What about for the return trip on 92 into WAS? How bad is the wait at WAS to claim bags?

Although I have never checked my bags to Orlando, Orlando is my home station. My guess is that it will take approximately 10-20 minutes to get your bags after arriving in Orlando. The bags are retrieved outside the northern section of the station. If the sleepers are in the rear of the train, baggage claim will be very close to where you detrain.

My guess is that it will take longer in WAS since the bags have to travel a longer distance to the baggage claim area.

It is a bit cool today, but it is sunny outside in Orlando. :)

When I checked two bags to ORL last March it took about 15 minutes after the train departed. But bags were started to be claimed around 5 minutes after arrival. It depends on where you get on and how many Checked Bags there are. You can expect to wait as long as 15 minutes.

Don't forget to use Clubacela in WAS! Since you'll be in a sleeper! ;)

Thanks, guys! We'll probably check the bags to Orlando and carry them with us to DC.

We never forget to make use of ClubAcela! :) I always feel so classy being in there, it's a great way to kick off the trip.

It is bright and sunny here too. But it is a cold 26F.
It is 60 degrees and still sunny at 4:53pm. The forecast for the rest of the week is highs in the 60's with some rain on Tuesday. I do not think there are many places in the country with a better forecast (in my opinion). :giggle:

When I checked two bags to ORL last March it took about 15 minutes after the train departed. But bags were started to be claimed around 5 minutes after arrival. It depends on where you get on and how many Checked Bags there are. You can expect to wait as long as 15 minutes.
Just to add, that at ORL, the bags are handed out by the porters right on the north end of the platform. So, they start to hand them out pretty much as soon as they finish getting all of them out of the baggage car. There is usually a line of passengers waiting by then, so how long it takes to get your bags is really dependant on where you are in the line.

While waiting, it helps if you can spot your bags, and then when it is your turn, you can direct the porter more quickly to them.

We're headed to ORL on 97 later this week. If we decide to check bags to Orlando, how long would we have to wait to claim them? I know Orlando handles a lot of bags because it's such a popular destination. We'll have a bedroom suite on 97, so our other option would be to utilize that storage area on top of the bathroom. Checking bags would be the preferred option, but the family wants to get the rental car and head over to Disney as quickly as possible, without waiting 20-30 minutes for our bags.

What about for the return trip on 92 into WAS? How bad is the wait at WAS to claim bags?
Baggage claim has always been pretty quick for us at ORL. To be honest, I've never seen them overwhelmed offloading - maybe two or three cartloads. We go in the Winter so maybe it's heavier in the summer.

Can't tell you about WAS - we use PHL.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 60 degrees and still sunny at 4:53pm. The forecast for the rest of the week is highs in the 60's with some rain on Tuesday. I do not think there are many places in the country with a better forecast (in my opinion). :giggle:
Hey pennyk,

If this will help console you with your temps in the 60's, the wind-chill in beautiful Mt. Pocono this morning was minus 19. For the life of me, I cannot imagine my forebears experiencing this and actually imagine settling the area. But I had another blessing when I awoke early Sunday morning to find that the parsonage furnace decided to stop working....

Blessings!!

Dave

Hey pennyk,

If this will help console you with your temps in the 60's, the wind-chill in beautiful Mt. Pocono this morning was minus 19. For the life of me, I cannot imagine my forebears experiencing this and actually imagine settling the area. But I had another blessing when I awoke early Sunday morning to find that the parsonage furnace decided to stop working....

Blessings!!

Dave
I cannot imagine below zero weather. It is warmer today - Sunny and in the high 60's.

I can't say for ORL, but at WAS, baggage claim is via an airline style belt. (Located pretty much opposite the CA and information booth). It took me about 20-30 minutes to get my bags!

Wow, a balmy 26F? Its hovering around zero here. :help:
I got you both beat! This morning (at least when I woke up at 8 AM). it was -6ºF!
ohmy.gif

I can't say for ORL, but at WAS, baggage claim is via an airline style belt. (Located pretty much opposite the CA and information booth). It took me about 20-30 minutes to get my bags!

I got you both beat! This morning (at least when I woke up at 8 AM). it was -6ºF!
ohmy.gif
Traveler,

Got to hand it to you. Our low air temp was minus 4. This is my first winter in Mt. Pocono, but I don't recall signing up to be a polar bear. Luckily, I have a southbound train reserved for next Tuesday.

But let's keep our plight in perspective. pennyk had to deal with the 60's today :)

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

ohmy.gif
Traveler,

Got to hand it to you. Our low air temp was minus 4. This is my first winter in Mt. Pocono, but I don't recall signing up to be a polar bear. Luckily, I have a southbound train reserved for next Tuesday.

But let's keep our plight in perspective. pennyk had to deal with the 60's today :)

Dave
Dave and Dave,

I do not envy either of you. I did not have any trouble dealing with the 60's today (because I was dressed for the 60's), but when it reached 70, I had to take a layer of clothing off (which fortunately was able to do without being uncomfortable). :lol:

Stay warm.

Hey pennyk,

Blessings!!

Dave
I cannot imagine below zero weather. It is warmer today - Sunny and in the high 60's.
Don't tease us.

when it reached 70, I had to take a layer of clothing off (which fortunately was able to do without being uncomfortable). :lol:
What layer?
huh.gif

I can fantasize, can't I? That will keep me warm in this 6º (as of 4:42 PM) weather!
mosking.gif
She's just teasing us Traveler. It's just plain mean. Let's not fall prey to her teasing. :) It will only remind us of this sad weather-state that we are subject to.

I'll make you all feel better...-21 when I woke up this morning. And that wasn't counting wind!

Hey pennyk,

Blessings!!

Dave
Don't tease us.
This morning (when it was in the 40's), I wore 4 shirts and a cotton hoodie. When I left the gym a few hours later, I was wearing 2 shirts and a hoodie. Around noon I removed one shirt and the hoodie, now I have the hoodie back on. (if you must know how a Floridian layers). BTW - It is supposed to really rain a lot tomorrow - 80% chance of rain. Rain jacket might be my top layer tomorrow.

Eagle628, I cannot imagine 21 below. That must be close to a record. Brrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back