Classic Dome on a Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant
Hey all,

I came across this picture and am wondering whose dome that is.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=382397&nseq=1

I thought the only dome car Amtrak still owned/operated was the Great Northern "Ocean View" dome.

Normally I would assume it's just a private car, but since it's the first car and on a surfliner it seems unlikely.

Really would love to ride up the coast on one of those!

Cheers,

-sitzplatz17

IT's a private car. Although private cars are usually placed at the end of trains, there's no reason one can't be at the front, particularly since the one in this picture isn't an observation or open platform car.

As has been said its a Private Car, ex-Burlington RR, probably one of the Silver Domes (Lariat??)that is kept @ Union Station with the other PVs that are based there. You see these all the time on the West Coast Trains and occasionaly even going across the country!

Still no reson (except lack of funds/Congress would have a hissy fit probably, talk of "Land Cruises" etc. while they pour out the pork to hundreds of other things!!) that Amtrak couldnt Lease/maybe even Buy!! :help: a few of these jewels for the Cardinal, Adirondack,Starlight,Zephyr and Empire Builder!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been said its a Private Car, ex-Burlington RR, probably one of the Silver Domes (Lariat??)that is kept @ Union Station with the other PVs that are based there. You see these all the time on the West Coast Trains and occasionaly even going across the country!

Still no reson (except lack of funds/Congress would have a hissy fit probably, talk of "Land Cruises" etc. while they pour out the pork to hundreds of other things!!) that Amtrak couldnt Lease/maybe even Buy!! :help: a few of these jewels for the Cardinal, Adirondack,Starlight,Zephyr and Empire Builder!!! :cool:
While I have no objections to Amtrak owning a few domes (or even building a few new ones :wub: ) it seems to me they would have limited use on Superliner trains.

You could put them in the front or back (but they would still be obstructed on one side) and they would need to be connected to a transition car. So passengers could reach it.

Let's start with regular domes on the Card and Adirondack (obviously not all the way to NYP) and go from there :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

While I have no objections to Amtrak owning a few domes (or even building a few new ones :wub: ) it seems to me they would have limited use on Superliner trains.

You could put them in the front or back (but they would still be obstructed on one side) and they would need to be connected to a transition car. So passengers could reach it.

Let's start with regular domes on the Card and Adirondack (obviously not all the way to NYP) and go from there :cool:
The train is the Pacific Surfliner... the Superliners are the cars... the Amtrak dome "Ocean View" does sometimes spend time on the Pacific Surfliner though, as I've seen it added in to the 9-car Horizon fleet that is used during the Del Mar racing season... (I would know, I live 1/2 mile from the Del Mar Fairgrounds)... the scenery along the Surfliner really is great though; I think that even though it is a short distance corridor, the scenery from San Diego - Solana Beach, Oceanside - San Juan Capistrano, and north of Ventura is really wonderful... and now that the second SLO roundtrip will possibly be Surfliner consists as they will run all of the way through makes the now-to-be-floating-around Horizon consist a good contender for the Ocean View, at least when it is not being used somewhere else (i.e. Adirondack, Cardinal)... but everyone else is right, this is not an Amtrak dome

Ex CB&Q Coach Silver Buckle now the Silver Splendor a Diner Lounge Part of the LA RAil Group, and own by friend.

Ron

Honestly, a first class lounge on one of the Viewliner trains (if they get to the point that they're running 3-4 sleepers on one of them...the Lake Shore leaps to mind as the best candidate) would be a big improvement, too. Of course in that vein, couldn't a "low dome" in the vein of what the C&O was looking at for the "Chessie" in the 40s work, even in Penn?

Figures that it's a private car.

As I said, I was thrown off by the fact that it was on a corridor train rather than the usual long distance routes.

Thanks for the info though!

As for a lounge on the LSL or any other single level train, that would simply be fantastic.

jimhudson is right though, I can already imagine the ruckus congress would start about buying Amtrak a nice dome or lounge car.

798/799 to SLO often carry PV's / domes. cars are 'last' in consist one direction and 'first' travelling the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back