Clickity-Clack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
I believe someone on here said that there is a different feel to riding trains today than 50 years ago, specifically mentioning that todays traveler wont hear the "clickity-clack" sound of the rails. Is this because todays cars have more suspension? Or because there arent as many gaps in the rails? Just curious.

Clickity clack is caused by a train traveling on jointed rail that is connected together with rail joints. When a railroad lays continuosly welded rail, the train runs with a smooth sounding sing. Most Class I railroads use continuosly welded rails on their mainlines, which Amtrak primarily runs over. There are many sections throughout the country where Amtrak runs over welded rails, but they're scattered around the country and on many different railroads. The sound of the train ride doesn't have anything to do with the wheels or trucks. However, the quality of ride, like bumpiness, has everything to do with a combination of track quality and condition of wheels and trucks, and specifically where in the coach/sleeper you ride.

It's because most tracks that passenger trains run on are what we call welded track. Instead of bolting together the ends of each piece of track, which is what caused that clickity clack as the wheels bounced over the joint, we now weld together those ends.

That makes for one continuous smooth rail eliminating the clickity clack. It also reduces wear and tear on the track and the wheels on the cars and engines.

Now a days one only finds stick rail (the bolted kind) in yards, near switches, or on track with very low speed limits.

While the 'clickety-clack' is gone from most areas, the two sounds that I remember from riding the train, and am looking forward to hearing again, are the 'whoosh' when you pass an approaching train as well as the 'ker-thump' as you go across a grade crossing. Two sounds unique to train travel.

Guest_racer1735 said:
While the 'clickety-clack' is gone from most areas, the two sounds that I remember from riding the train, and am looking forward to hearing again, are the 'whoosh' when you pass an approaching train as well as the 'ker-thump' as you go across a grade crossing. Two sounds unique to train travel.
Not to mention the whistle blowing for grade crossings . . . the noise you hear when the door at the end of the car opens . . or the phrase "sleeper or coach" as you sit down to eat in the diner. Those are some of my favorites.

Guest_racer1735 said:

And then there is the hissing sound the brakes (or something) made when the train was being being backed into the station. (for stub end stations)

That would be the air being dumped as they test the back up hose before they begin to back in. As they make the move small amounts of air are released from the system as they use the built in whistle to blow for crossings.

I'm taking my 5-year old son on his first (and hopefully not last!) train trip. Catching the Cardinal at Crawfordsville, IN to Chicago...spending the day in the Windy City, then taking the Texas Eagle to Ft. Worth. We have a roomette...err, Standard Bedroom, on the trip to Fort Worth. Taking the train down and flying back (due to time constraints).

racer1735 said:
I'm taking my 5-year old son on his first (and hopefully not last!) train trip. Catching the Cardinal at Crawfordsville, IN to Chicago...spending the day in the Windy City, then taking the Texas Eagle to Ft. Worth. We have a roomette...err, Standard Bedroom, on the trip to Fort Worth. Taking the train down and flying back (due to time constraints).
Have a good trip! :)

racer1735 said:
Hope you have fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back