Clockwise or Counterclockwise? Which way to go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
At present we are thinking of going CCW - in Jan 2013 go from STL via CHI to Toronto for a day maybe at the Stratcona Hotel then take the Canadien to Vancouver and the ferry to Victoria and stay at the Empress. After a few days there we will take a ferry to SEA, and then the CS to EMY for a few days in SF at a hotel to be determined later. Then we will catch the CZ for a ride thru the Rockies and home. :)

I am planning on going with either my wife :wub: or Jim Hudson :angry2: . If its Jim I will probably cancel the trip :help:

Question, should we go widdershins or ...

At present we are thinking of going CCW - in Jan 2013 go from STL via CHI to Toronto for a day maybe at the Stratcona Hotel then take the Canadien to Vancouver and the ferry to Victoria and stay at the Empress. After a few days there we will take a ferry to SEA, and then the CS to EMY for a few days in SF at a hotel to be determined later. Then we will catch the CZ for a ride thru the Rockies and home. :)

I am planning on going with either my wife :wub: or Jim Hudson :angry2: . If its Jim I will probably cancel the trip :help:

:lol: Rich: Nice Trip! :wub: As I always say, follow the Sun! Id say that Toronto to Vancouver is the way to go on the Candian, Go West young man,Go West! How are things going in Missouri? Seems like yesterday we were rolling West heading to SEA for the Gathering! Hope yall can Snag a Good Deal on the Canadian!! :cool: Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go clockwise. Westbound on the CZ, you're guaranteed daylight through the Rockies and Sierras.

On the CS,you are guaranteed daylight for the Cascades between SF and Seattle on the northbound.

On the Canadian eastbound, you are guaranteed daylight for all the Rockies past Jasper.

Westbound on the Canadian, you definitely miss most of the Rockies, esp. in January with less daylight.

Southbound on the CS, you'll get darkness shortly after Albany, missing the Cascades and Shasta are completely.

Eastbound on the CZ, you should get most of the Sierras but only some of the Rockies.

What ever you do, Rich, do not ask Pennyk!!

What ever you do, Rich, do not ask Pennyk!!
It seems like lately, I get no respect. :lol: :lol:

In December, I did it counter-clockwise. I had already taken the CZ westbound, so decided to take it eastbound. I followed Jim's advice and did the Canadian westbound. Because we were significantly delayed, I was able to see some scenery that normally occurs in darkness, however, we missed Jasper, since we arrived around 10:30pm.

I went from ORL to NYP to TWO (Maple Leaf) to VAC to SEA to MTZ (Coast Starlight) to CHI (California Zephyr) to WAS (Capitol Limited) to ORL. I got a great price on the Canadian and used points to get home from SEA. To me, it was the deal of the century!!!

Dave, if you are reading this... just because I dress "funny" does not necessarily mean I am "funny" in the head. :lol: :lol:

I do ask Penny because she is an intelligent young lady.

Her not knowing right from left is just something one has to allow for :giggle:

I'd say go counter-clockwise. Going west on the Candian is better than east, IMO, and the southbound CS is less likely to get delayed. Of course, you could take gthe TE (LAX) back home.

How are you getting from Chicago to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back