Closest Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is NEXUS?
It is a Trusted Traveler program for US-Canada border crossing. It is run jointly by the US and Canada, so it gives advantages, such as dedicated lanes, going into both the US and Canada. You have to be approved and interviewed by both US Homeland Security and Canada Border Services Agency.

In context of this discussion, the Whirlpool Bridge is essentially a dedicated NEXUS lane both directions, while the Rainbow Bridge doesn't have NEXUS lanes at all.

Quite a few people living near the border have NEXUS membership, it is very useful and drastically cuts down on long border waits. The longest I ever waited as a NEXUS member was 20 minutes at the Peace Arch crossing coming back into the US on the Sunday after (US) Thanksgiving. The regular lanes had a 90 minute wait.

It also gives Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check privileges. While technically available to anyone, from a practical standpoint it only makes sense for people living relatively close to the US-Canada border, since the joint interviews that are required are only available at locations where both US CBP and Canadian CBSA are available, and those are mostly border posts, although they used to have CBSA folks in Seattle to conduct interviews and they have a NEXUS service location at Vancouver airport.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

Correction on the 2 Stockton Stations:

They are actually about a Mile and a Half apart, with a Bus connecting the two Sations for some Trains.( lots of Thruway Busses operate @ the Santa Fe Station)

The old SP Station South of Downtown only serves ACE Trains to/from San Jose.

The Ex- Santa Fe Station on the West side serves the San Joaquin Trains.

I had a look at it on the San Joaquins interactive map. One is the San Joaquin Street Station (SKN - the old ATSF station) on the route to Oakland. The other is the Robert J. Cabral Station (SKT - the old SP station). You can't book SKT for a train ride now because the direct train service to Sacramento has been discontinued for the time being.

https://sjjpa.com/amtrak-san-joaquins-covid-19-service-adjustments/
  • Train Service Suspensions: Due to reduced demand, Amtrak San Joaquins trains 701, 702, 703, 704, 714, and 717 will be suspended. We’ve reduced trains with lowest ridership to mitigate the effects on riders still needing to utilize service for essential travel. The suspensions eliminate all direct train service to Lodi and Sacramento. Lodi and Sacramento will continue to be served by Thruway Busses to/from all operating trains.

But I found this showing a ride in 2019 with train 701 from SKT.

I also checked on a map, and it's about 1.1 miles driving between the two stations in an L. So it's probably less than a mile between them in a straight line.

When it comes to adding/removing stops to/from existing routes, would distance between stations be a deciding factor in most cases? For example, one station stop I would like to see added to the Empire Builder is Chinook, MT (in order to serve Blaine County, which is currently skipped over completely, unlike its two neighboring counties), and there is an existing station building there, but the distance from that station building to the nearest in-service station of Havre, MT is about 22 miles, so I wonder if Amtrak would reject adding this stop on the basis of it being that close to an existing station...

When it comes to adding/removing stops to/from existing routes, would distance between stations be a deciding factor in most cases?
I would think so. Although I believe that adding stations on long distance routes requires the local community/government to fund/organize it. That's how Leavenworth, WA was added as a stop and it's about 23 miles from Wenatchee.

I would think so. Although I believe that adding stations on long distance routes requires the local community/government to fund/organize it. That's how Leavenworth, WA was added as a stop and it's about 23 miles from Wenatchee.
That's right on the money as far as I know current Amtrak policy. The local community would have to organize, lobby for it, and provide funds for necessary improvements. At the very minimum that would include building an ADA compliant platform.

22 miles would be far enough for Amtrak not to just veto it at the start, but it would be totally up to the state and the local community to make it happen. So how much does Chinook, MT want it?

I am on the north side of Denver. Denver Union Station (DEN) is 17.4 miles and 21 minutes (no traffic issues) from home. Fort Morgan, CO (FMG) is 63.7 miles and 59 minutes drive time. Even though DEN has one heck of a station with multitudes of amenities you still have to find pay parking and then a couple of blocks walk to the station. I prefer to use FMG. The drive is not bad and never any traffic like getting into downtown Denver. No parking issues and you park right next to the platform (25') and it is free! Pay parking in Denver can be up to $1300 for a 7 day trip! Then walking from the garage to the station with mobility issues is another matter. I will spend the extra gas money and cruise to FMG whether traveling east or west on the CZ. Other option for me is to go 7.1 miles to remote parking (at Denver International Airport) and pay about $8.00/day. Then take the RTD "A Train" from the terminal into Union Station downtown about a 30 minute ride.

I am on the north side of Denver. Denver Union Station (DEN) is 17.4 miles and 21 minutes (no traffic issues) from home. Fort Morgan, CO (FMG) is 63.7 miles and 59 minutes drive time. Even though DEN has one heck of a station with multitudes of amenities you still have to find pay parking and then a couple of blocks walk to the station. I prefer to use FMG. The drive is not bad and never any traffic like getting into downtown Denver. No parking issues and you park right next to the platform (25') and it is free! Pay parking in Denver can be up to $1300 for a 7 day trip! Then walking from the garage to the station with mobility issues is another matter. I will spend the extra gas money and cruise to FMG whether traveling east or west on the CZ. Other option for me is to go 7.1 miles to remote parking (at Denver International Airport) and pay about $8.00/day. Then take the RTD "A Train" from the terminal into Union Station downtown about a 30 minute ride.
Yikes, who manages the parking?

Have you considered parking at one of the RTD stations? Commerce City on the N line seems closest to you in Brighton. They seem to have lots of parking.

$2/day if your car is registered inside the RTD service area (which Brighton is part of); $4/day if it isn't. Can park for up to 30 days.

I realize the N line just opened recently, during the pandemic, so this might not have been an option last time you travelled.

Have you considered parking at one of the RTD stations? Commerce City on the N line seems closest to you in Brighton. They seem to have lots of parking.

$2/day if your car is registered inside the RTD service area (which Brighton is part of); $4/day if it isn't. Can park for up to 30 days.

I realize the N line just opened recently, during the pandemic, so this might not have been an option last time you travelled.
I am at the NW corner of DIA on 120th near Chambers (I can see the BNSF Brush Sub and CZ at MP527 from the window) so the airport is easier straight down Tower. There is the option to go a bit further down Tower to the 61st Avenue Station for the A-line and avoid the commercial lots. But also being near I-76 for a straight shot up to FMG. It is convenient since you park right at the platform. And with some mobility issues saves some steps. Appreciate the idea!

Wish Sound Transit in the Seattle area was like that. Officially they don't allow even overnight parking at the Park and Rides. While you can usually keep a car over one night, if it is there more than a few days it will get towed.

Back