Coach Seating?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
Spoiled and never been in Coach seating (just sleepers). Going to try it on the SWC from KC to CHICAGO Thursday. Is there a "preferred" area of seating that any of you travelers like? Any seats with extra leg room or anything like that? Will I have an outlet to charge things or watch a movie?

Spoiled and never been in Coach seating (just sleepers). Going to try it on the SWC from KC to CHICAGO Thursday. Is there a "preferred" area of seating that any of you travelers like? Any seats with extra leg room or anything like that? Will I have an outlet to charge things or watch a movie?
If you're getting on in KC you may not have much of a choice. I don't think there's much a difference in a Superliner coach anyway; my biggest thing is trying to avoid a seatmate so I can spread out a little. There should be a pair of outlets at your seat, and they're more convenient than the ones in a sleeper.

Is it just a free for all scrambling of people racing to get a seat, or is there an attendant who directs you to a seat? I don't want to get separated from my kids.

If you do have kids, he or she should help you find seats together! Ask!
cool.gif
They may even ask a single passenger if he or she will move, so that you can sit together. Most passengers have no problem moving in this case!
biggrin.gif

If you do have kids, he or she should help you find seats together! Ask!
cool.gif
They may even ask a single passenger if he or she will move, so that you can sit together. Most passengers have no problem moving in this case!
biggrin.gif
Depending upon the age of your child(ren), the attendant will make sure you are together if at all possible. I travel with a toddler and sometimes a teenager as well. The attendant always asks someone to move if necessary so the toddler is with me. Singles have been very pleasant about moving, and in one case when the seat occupant was away from his seat, the attendant simply moved his belongings to another seat to free up two seats together. I ride in business class, but I imagine you would get the same attention in coach, so not to worry.

It seems a lot of the Superliner coaches now have outlets at each seat.

As for seats with extra legroom, the ones right behind the stairwell area have extra space. Also, the first row up front, though it is right by the noisy door.

:hi: Try not to sit by the Stairway, the Light shines on you and people go up/down all night! Also the front and back seats in the Coaches that are hooked to other cars have people going in/out the doors at all hours, the last car on the train (called the railfan window )doesnt have this problem! The seats with the Full windows are also better, its also easier to sleep in a window seat when you have a seat mate! Have a great Trip! :)

If I wanted a peaceful night in a Superliner coach, I'd definitely choose the lower level. You sit in one of two short rooms, separated by the entrance aisle, luggage rack and stairway. I don't know the numbers, but with only about a half-dozen rows each, there's less of a chance of a noisy neighbor. There's no car-to-car traffic, and no end doors opening and closing. You feel less sway down there, too. It's all good!

When I rode the SWC we had assigned seats. Then again I rode it from CHI to FLG and back. idk about a small trip like KC to CHI...but I preferred the front half of the last car. Less people traveling through, and no distractions from people walking back towards the staircase. :)

Does the outside of the coach cars SAY Coach? How will I know which part of the train to get on? Are they at the very end of the train or somewhere in between?

Is it just a free for all scrambling of people racing to get a seat, or is there an attendant who directs you to a seat? I don't want to get separated from my kids.
It's a free-for-all cattle call style boarding process. However as a group you'll be allowed to bump single travelers to make room for everyone in your party. This is one of the reasons I ride in a sleeper compartment whenever possible. That way I can't be pushed around and forced into an aisle seat next to an obese blob with no arm rest to keep their blubbery fat folds from pooling around me.

Does the outside of the coach cars SAY Coach? How will I know which part of the train to get on? Are they at the very end of the train or somewhere in between?
The coach cars will say coach and you'll be directed to the specific car for you by the conductor and attendants.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do say COACH on them. An easy way to tell is that they have more windows than the sleepers, and on the SWC the coaches are usually at the rear of the train.

An easy way to tell is that they have more windows than the sleepers
I am pretty sure the sleepers and coaches have the same number of windows. Now some of the sleeper windows may be covered over, maybe that is what you mean. But there are 11 slots on each side, I believe.

The SLII sleepers seem like they may have a small window in the middle on one side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back