coach vs. roomett seating comfort

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
first time on amtrak, riding the sunset limited, hou to nol just nine+ hours

wondering if the coach seats are more comfortable, I understand the roomett seats do not recline or have foot / leg rests, seems like they would not be as comfortable.

Opinions , comments from other users appreciated

Mike

Mike,

Frankly IMHO, a lot would depend on the price of the roomette. Yes, you are correct that the roomette seats don't recline in the normal sense, although you can sort of make them recline. And there is no foot rest or calf rest.

On the other hand, you can take you shoes off and put your feet up on the facing chair in the roomette. You have some privacy if you want it, as well as bathrooms that don't see as much traffic. Finally of course, your meals when taken in the dining car are included in the charge for a roomette. You also get free coffee, tea, juice, and water in the sleeper.

If you go coach, then while you gain the foot rest, calf rest, and a better recline, you may also gain a seat mate since seating is 2 & 2.

Personally my feeling would be, if the roomette is less than say $150 more than the coach seat, you'd find me booking the roomette. Of course that's just my personal preference.

Mike,
Frankly IMHO, a lot would depend on the price of the roomette. Yes, you are correct that the roomette seats don't recline in the normal sense, although you can sort of make them recline. And there is no foot rest or calf rest.

On the other hand, you can take you shoes off and put your feet up on the facing chair in the roomette. You have some privacy if you want it, as well as bathrooms that don't see as much traffic. Finally of course, your meals when taken in the dining car are included in the charge for a roomette. You also get free coffee, tea, juice, and water in the sleeper.

If you go coach, then while you gain the foot rest, calf rest, and a better recline, you may also gain a seat mate since seating is 2 & 2.

Personally my feeling would be, if the roomette is less than say $150 more than the coach seat, you'd find me booking the roomette. Of course that's just my personal preference.
just figuring out how replys work, thanks alan, part of decision solved, traveling with friend, so much for feet on other seat.

Actually, there's enough room on the other seat that I think you and your friend could strike a deal: He can put his/her feet on yours, if you can put yours on hers/his.

It really is more comfortable in a roomette. No, the seats don't recline, but you don't have people bumping into you as they walk down the aisle, there's more room, etc., etc., etc.

Welcome aboard Mike,

Sort of a tough call here to me...

At first, I was like, "Coach of course!" Superliner Coaches are very comfy, with excellent seat to seat spacing, reclining pitch, and width, MUCH better than your average airline seat.

However, in looking at your itinerary, I see where SOME dates on the Sunset are charging only $76 for a Roomette from HOU to NOL. Since you're travelling as a pair, the free breakfast and lunch for two would go a good way towards absorbing some of that cost.

As for comfort, yes, you can kick off your shoes and share a bit of your roommate's seat to rest your feet, but I tend to find it less comfy than reclining in a coach seat.

Given the Sunset's less than gleaming rep. for being on time though, it might be nice to have that room though, in case you come into NOL later than planned.

The key consideration here for me is the word Privacy.. Its really nice to draw the curtain or close the door and have your own little world with the scenery going past. Coach passengers are prone to sprawling all over the seats, feet hanging in the asile, and overall a bit messy compared to days gone by.. Not to mention Cell phone converstations, games, computers, ect that are somewhat distracting to a good trip. I know its todays new world, but I liked the calmer old one.

The key consideration here for me is the word Privacy.. Its really nice to draw the curtain or close the door and have your own little world with the scenery going past. Coach passengers are prone to sprawling all over the seats, feet hanging in the asile, and overall a bit messy compared to days gone by.. Not to mention Cell phone converstations, games, computers, ect that are somewhat distracting to a good trip. I know its todays new world, but I liked the calmer old one.

I just got back today from Miami to Jax. Myself and my wife had a roomette going and coming and loved it. The room cost us $67 and the 2 meals we ate would have cost $45 so that made the room cost a wopping $22. In the roomette you can lay flat on the 2 bunks or I put my feet on the closed toilet and my wife put her feet in my seat because it was wider. Next trip we will go with roomette again. You also have electric plug free water,coffee,news paper,pillows blanket and a little better service.

first time on amtrak, riding the sunset limited, hou to nol just nine+ hourswondering if the coach seats are more comfortable, I understand the roomett seats do not recline or have foot / leg rests, seems like they would not be as comfortable.

Opinions , comments from other users appreciated

Mike
If you would like to SEE both accomodations, then I would recommend to visit my new website, where you actually can be right in the roomette or coach seats and have a look around ( 360/180).

Amtrak Superliner in Virtual Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back