Coast Starlight and the Tehachapi Pass - June 22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTOlson

Lead Service Attendant
Interesting tidbit from this week's Hotline:

Amtrak plans to detour the Coast Starlight on Sunday, June 22 in both directions between Los Angeles and Sacramento via Tehachapi Pass and the San Joaquin route (with no intermediate station stops) due to the need for Union Pacific to repair a bridge near Santa Barbara. Train 14 is expected to arrive Sacramento at 9 PM and hold for its normal departure, while train 11 should arrive Los Angeles early as well.
First, I feel sorry for the Starlight riders who are on the stops in between SAC and Union Station. I hope that Amtrak California's numerous services will be able to accommodate them. Please note the Hotline mentions that Surfliner rail service is affected as well.

Still, NARP says this is the first Amtrak train to traverse the Tehachapi Pass since 2005. I'm kinda curious about what it's like, especially because of the desire for train and high-speed rail connections between Bakersfield and LA.

Speaking of this Central Californian diversion, Union Pacific has indicated that it's not interested in parts of its right-of-way for the high-speed rail project, Hotline reported.

So, has anyone made this trip on the train? I've been through the Tehachapi Mountains via car, but not rail.

The fare is already up to $95!

That's going to be a very busy, and nerdy, train. :)

!!&%$#@!!!!

That's my mom's birthday. Committed to other activities, and no way out. Why me?

The potential bright spot is that with advance notice decent videos should become available.

Even so, can you say SUCKS? Knew you could.

Ugh! I'm off 2am on Sunday morning...I'm so tempted to book another ticket down there...of course, at this late stage, an airline ticket's gonna be $600 on top of the rail fare!

Wish I could go!

As with everything related to Amtrak, the Tehachapi Pass has been discussed before. In an earlier thread, PRR 60 colorfully describes how the last Amtrak expedition came to pass.

----

Oh and Train 14's normal departure time from SAC is 11:59 p.m. That means riders will likely have to dwell in SAC for around three hours.

That's a long time to be sitting in downtown Sacramento on a Sunday night. I guess you could walk around Old Sac, but I reckon the whole area is going to be pretty deserted.

I wonder how many railfans will take advantage of the journey -- a chance to cruise without passenger stops for nearly 11 hours and to experience a mountain pass rarely traveled by passenger trains.

Potential downsides -- the Central Valley isn't much to look at and smokers might not like the lack of stops. :D

Considering one can drive the LAX-SAC trip at 70-75 mph in about six hours, what factors do you think are behind the extra five hours for the train?

Point of reference, San Joaquins can make the SAC-BFD leg of the trip with stops in 5.25 hours. That would give Starlight more than five hours to go from LA to BFD. It does look like the Tehachapi Pass route is pretty darn windy and slightly off the direct route.

Anyway, I don't think I can afford the trip at this time, but I do hope others take advantage of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double post, but I've got two quick tidbits of info.

- Here's a great photo of the last Amtrak trip by Ben Wang. Notice the Beech Grove attached to the end of the consist.

- Second, here's the route I believe the train will take from LAX to BFD (the route is the solid blue line between the two cities):

20080607_bfd2lax.jpg

The map is from Caltrans' "California State Rail Plan" (PDF) (heading the Potential New Services chapter). However, a permanent LA-BFD rail extension doesn't appear to be in the cards at least in the short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting tidbit from this week's Hotline:
Amtrak plans to detour the Coast Starlight on Sunday, June 22 in both directions between Los Angeles and Sacramento via Tehachapi Pass and the San Joaquin route (with no intermediate station stops) due to the need for Union Pacific to repair a bridge near Santa Barbara. Train 14 is expected to arrive Sacramento at 9 PM and hold for its normal departure, while train 11 should arrive Los Angeles early as well.
First, I feel sorry for the Starlight riders who are on the stops in between SAC and Union Station. I hope that Amtrak California's numerous services will be able to accommodate them. Please note the Hotline mentions that Surfliner rail service is affected as well.

Still, NARP says this is the first Amtrak train to traverse the Tehachapi Pass since 2005. I'm kinda curious about what it's like, especially because of the desire for train and high-speed rail connections between Bakersfield and LA.

Speaking of this Central Californian diversion, Union Pacific has indicated that it's not interested in parts of its right-of-way for the high-speed rail project, Hotline reported.

So, has anyone made this trip on the train? I've been through the Tehachapi Mountains via car, but not rail.
I'm hoping that this is a one-day closure? I'm on the CS on the 26th and the thought of spending 3 hours in Sacramento late on a Sunday night is not high up on the appealing idea list.

I'm hoping that this is a one-day closure? I'm on the CS on the 26th and the thought of spending 3 hours in Sacramento late on a Sunday night is not high up on the appealing idea list.
I dunno . . . three extra hours to enjoy the PPC. As long as the wine is flowing, it would be OK by me!

Thanks to the OP for letting me know about the Tehachapi detour of the CS! :)

I used some of my AGR points, and am making a quick 10 day cross country trip! Just to ride the CS - both to go on the detour and try the PPC! B) And I'm staying on thru the SAC layover - I'm riding to PDX.

FYI - TRI is the border of the western zone and midwest zone. I am taking a 2 zone coach award :eek: (to cut down on costs) KIN-TRI and a 1 zone roomette award (via LAUS) TRI-PDX!

The strange thing about the roomette award was that I got room #7 (upper level). As soon as I got off the phone with AGR, I went back to the website to price my trip. THAT WAS THE LAST ROOMETTE ON #3! :p I know an award can be for the last room - but what surprised me is that the last roomette is on the UPPER LEVEL! :)

The strange thing about the roomette award was that I got room #7 (upper level). As soon as I got off the phone with AGR, I went back to the website to price my trip. THAT WAS THE LAST ROOMETTE ON #3! :p I know an award can be for the last room - but what surprised me is that the last roomette is on the UPPER LEVEL! :)
I'm not surprised at all. Usually the first roomette sold, assuming that someone doesn't ask for a specific one, is #2 directly opposite the attendant's room. The very next two room in my experience sold are on the lower level. Then I think they jump back upstairs to sell 9 & 10, then back downstairs to finish off the lower level. The highest priced rooms and therefore the last to sell are generally the rest of the upper level.

Thanks to the OP for letting me know about the Tehachapi detour of the CS! :)
I used some of my AGR points, and am making a quick 10 day cross country trip! Just to ride the CS - both to go on the detour and try the PPC!
What is the color of ENVY?

Traveler, can you cut the gloating to an absolute minimum? :D

Enjoy your whole journey, and PLEASE take pictures for posting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back