Coast Starlight Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually just did business class on Sunday from Oakland to Los Angeles, it was FANTASTIC. Only like 8 other people in the entire coach, wifi worked great, 2 waters, and the vouchers as advertised, train arrived like 35 minutes early into LA....one person actually complained that they were early...people complain when its late, they complain when its early, JESUS!

I walked back to the regular coaches just to see...YUCK, it was packed, smelled, and people sleeping all over the seats and food smells and feet smell everywhere. Sorry, but the clientele on Amtrak coach is heading downhill. It wasn't like this 20 years ago.

I really hope they dont get rid of business class!
Huh, Amtrak is supposed to be available to EVERYONE. It's a mode of transportation. And I have ridden in coach a couple of times and take offense at this statement.
Air travel was different 20 years ago too.

I too was offended.

On long distance Amtrak trips I usually book a coach seat for part of my trip, and a roomette for part of my trip.

I've not had a bad experience riding in Coach.

Coach passengers can't shower, but most coach passengers riding a long distance maintain an acceptable level of cleanliness.

Most long distance coach passengers don't spend more than 24 hours on the train.

And I suspect the food smells and feet smells comment was embellishment.

A majority of Amtrak's passengers ride in Coach, and every US citizen is a part owner since Amtrak is supported with Federal money.
I think it is fair to say a lot of things have changed in the past 20 years. Some big, some small. I can agree also that some folks may do coach on one part and a sleeper on the other. It happens more often then not. And you're spot on by saying that Coach Pax don't have access to shower facilities. While I would say it's a fair guess that most coach pax spend less then 24 hours in coach there could be some folks going the entire way in coach simply cause they can't afford a room for the trip. Just my 2 cents.

Now that the forum's social workers have begun chiming in with stuff having nothing to do with the OP's original question, I've taken the liberty of emailing this question to Amtrak: "Arrow currently shows the last day for Business Class on the Coast Starlight will be 31 August 2016. Will it be continued past 31 August 2016?" Will post Amtrak's reply.

Carry on!
Social workers? So if someone said something that offended you on AU and someone can relate to your situation you wouldn't want them to say, hey I understand where this person is coming from?

This a new one on me: an accommodation but no price.

bcCSL.png
Freeness! :) It's possibly that things are going through a reclassification process. e.g. Price hikes or more seats being added. Anything is possible at this rate and we won't know for sure for a little bit of time to come if I had to take a guess. Since that shows September.

Business Class on the Coast Starlight LAX to SEA is now available past 31 Aug 2016, but only until 30 Sep 2016 - so far. But for SEA to LAX it's available until 2 Oct 2016. I think I may have made those AmSnag queries in the middle of Arrow being updated.

[Edit] And just to deepen the mystery, received this from Amtrak at 3:52 pm: "Thank you for your email regarding Business Class on the Coast Starlight. The pilot program is scheduled to end on August 31, a decision has not been made as of yet whether the program will be extended. Please check with us periodically."

Last edited by a moderator:
when I make a coach reservation, I always mention that I am handicapped and would like lower level seating,,, which is always provided,,, often She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are the only passengers there,, granted the view is somewhat diminished but one can always go to the lounge for a 12 foot view fix

Business Class on the Coast Starlight LAX to SEA is now available past 31 Aug 2016, but only until 30 Sep 2016 - so far. But for SEA to LAX it's available until 2 Oct 2016. I think I may have made those AmSnag queries in the middle of Arrow being updated.
It's only a guess, but the "extra" two days of BC service Southbound from SEA probably reflects the return of BC equipment to LAX in revenue service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back