Coast Starlight Consists

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Question: Does the Starlight use Superliner 2 sleepers? What is the difference between Superliner 1s and 2s? Also, how long are Starlight consists?

Superliner I and II sleepers run in what amounts to one nationwide pool that doesn't discriminate by type. They are not assigned to specific trains.

Superliner Is were refurbished in the 2000s and have redesigned restrooms, brighter LED hall lighting (which I personally dislike), faux wood wallpaper in the aisles. The HVAC vents have internal control louvers that are operated by a lever and are often broken. And weird, European designed trucks. The roomettes have a narrow, almost useless closet.

Superliner IIs were not refurbished, have their original restrooms, original carpet on the aisle walls (a design choice I never understood), and the roomettes have a nook with strap instead of the useless narrow closet. Their HVAC vents have louvers on the outside that can be directly manipulated and usually work. They have more standard American style trucks.

The newer Superliner IIs appear older cosmetically than the 20 year older but refurbished Superliner Is.

The standard consist for the Starlight last I saw was Baggage, transdorm, business class coach (?!), 2 sleepers, diner, Sightseer, 2 coaches. That is shorter than the "traditional", pre-plague summer consist which had 3 sleepers and 3 coaches.

Last edited:
The standard consist for the Starlight last I saw was Baggage, transdorm, business class coach (?!), 2 sleepers, diner, Sightseer, 2 coaches. That is shorter than the "traditional", pre-plague summer consist which had 3 sleepers and 3 coaches.
It's always sad to see the Starlight so short. I loved it's consist when it consited of a P42, Dash-8, Baggage, Transdorm, 3 sleepers, parlour car, diner, business, SSL, and 3 coaches

It's always sad to see the Starlight so short. I loved it's consist when it consited of a P42, Dash-8, Baggage, Transdorm, 3 sleepers, parlour car, diner, business, SSL, and 3 coaches
And that parlour car was the place to be... so nice for sightseeing... and conversation with other rail enthusiasts. And the wine tastings were so much fun! Oh... how I miss that Parlour Car!

I’ve seen these “Pepsi Cans.” In fact, one pulled the Pennsylvanian out of Philadelphia when I rode it home to Elizabethtown I believe back in 2012. Any chance one will be on The Starlight?

Attachments

• 94E8196B-82DA-4095-BDF8-F457FE577291.jpeg
    94E8196B-82DA-4095-BDF8-F457FE577291.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Question #2–My parents and I are assigned Car 1131. I’m assuming that is the 2nd Sleeper. Where is that car in relationship to the SSL and Diner?

I’ve seen these “Pepsi Cans.” In fact, one pulled the Pennsylvanian out of Philadelphia when I rode it home to Elizabethtown I believe back in 2012. Any chance one will be on The Starlight?
Slim to none. They were kind of regulars in the 1990s, but not since.

99% chance of P42s.

1131 is one car away from the diner, two away from the SSL.

Diner
SSL
Coaches.

That is not the Pepsi Can! At least, not a true one. Picture is below of a true one.

Slim to none. They were kind of regulars in the 1990s, but not since.
They were regularly assigned to the Starlight up until 2017/2018, weren't they?

1629001560593.png

That is not the Pepsi Can! At least, not a true one. Picture is below of a true one.

They were regularly assigned to the Starlight up until 2017/2018, weren't they?

View attachment 23954
I know I saw a lot of Pepsi Cans in the 90s. Don't recall ever having them on the Starlight since. They've also been out of that livery for a long time.

I know I saw a lot of Pepsi Cans in the 90s. Don't recall ever having them on the Starlight since. They've also been out of that livery for a long time.
Both my Starlight's in 2017 had them. And by scrolling through this video I see a large amount have a dash-8. 1629006853401.png

Back