Coast Starlight / Empire Builder connection @ PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking to do a LD trip with my Dad in January. It would be Coast Starlight-Empire Builder (LAX-PDX-CBS). The connection to the eastbound EB @ PDX looks pretty tight. Should we be concerned about making this connection? Any other thoughts on this route combo?

Yes, I would be concerned. This connection is often missed resulting in bus connections as far as Klamath Falls to beyond the Columbia River Gorge in Washington State. When I rode in June, we were on time in Klamath Falls but lost 2 hours due to freight traffic so the Empire Builder had already left. Connecting passengers were told to go the ticket counter in Portland station for alternate arrangements. If you want to do this route, I highly recommend an overnight in Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many times, I have easily made this connection.

If the CS is not too late, they will probably hold the EB for those connecting. I was on a late CS (beyond K-Falls), and they bussed the connecting passengers from Albany to Portland up I-5 and held the EB for the buses. If very late, they may bus you from K-Falls to Pasco.

In any case, as long as you made a guaranteed conn reservation, Amtrak will take care of you. They may even put you up in a hotel in Portland (on their dime) and send you out the next day. But if you have a room on the EB, it may or may not be available on the next day’s train! (You could be downgraded to coach.)

The safe bet is spending the night in Portland. I have seen the EB held when there are quite a few passengers making the connection. This past summer we were just 20 minutes late getting into PDX, so the connection was made easily. You can check the percentage of being late and by how much, but that doesn't help the day you travel. Any number of events could or not occur affecting the CS arrival time. You have to decide if you want to chance it or do you want to play it safe.

I'd take a night in Portland which I did a year ago. I did that in Seattle last July also - both times for CS to EB connection. Incorporate that overnight into your trip.

I’m taking this same trip and did opt to spend the night in Portland. I’ve never been there and this will give me about 24 hours to sleep and explore.

Just missed the Gathering by several weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I would also recommend a night in Portland (or Seattle) when connecting from the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, mainly for peace-of-mind. You're going on vacation--don't give yourself too many things to worry about.

If you're worried about the connection, I'd suggest just going in the other direction.

I prefer to do that just for the free walk about time in Portland.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Do you have any recommendations for a hotels/restaurants in Portland?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Do you have any recommendations for a hotels/restaurants in Portland?
The Hotels around the Airport on the Red Line are usually the cheapest with those being downtown generally expensive.
I suggest you Google up Hotels in Portland on search engines like trivago,kayak or trip advisor. Some of the National chains can have good deals depending on the time of year and what's happening in Portland.

There's tons of food trucks in Portland,Pizza joints etc. and the Pearl District downtown has all kinds of pubs,cafes,clubs etc but most are pricey and trendy. Again, Google is your friend here.

During the recent AU Gathering in Portland,,we liked a place called PotBellys across from Pioneer Square.

We did this in April and booked two nights in Portland rather than trying to make the connection (plus my DS wanted to see the 4449). Worked out for the best as the CS was running late and they took everyone connecting with the EB off and put them on buses.

Then when we boarded the EB two days later we were about an hour late leaving as we were waiting on the CS to arrive.

I stayed a week in June at the Embassy Suites downtown and enjoyed it very much. It is is within a short walking distance to station or short taxi ride. Also is next to the VooDoo donuts(a Portland must do) and all the food trucks. and right near the light rail. Easy to get around Portland. Here are just some of the photos I took in and around Portland. The hotel in the photos is the Embassy Suites.

I'll also recommend the Embassy Suites downtown in Portland. I and several other AU members stayed there during the Gathering. It's a historic hotel building that has been renovated--almost all the rooms are suites.

I had a nice seafood dinner at Jake's Famous Crawfish, which is a few blocks from the hotel.

I stayed at the Portland Courtyard City Center at 550 SW Oak St. when I went to the Gathering. It was clean and nicely furnished, and the staff could not have been nicer. There is a gentleman at the concierge desk named Hal who was extremely helpful. There are food trucks just a block away, and an office building across the street that has a convenience store with real donuts (not the tourist-trap stuff), plus other take-out type restaurants for the business crowd.

The prices there can vary by a couple hundred dollars either way, so check way ahead and try different dates if your trip dates are not fixed yet.

(Do not eat at the "diner" attached to the hotel, though--overpriced, and you can get a really good breakfast at one of the food trucks for $5 to $7! It was called Stump Roasters or something like that.)

I stayed at the Portland Courtyard City Center at 550 SW Oak St. when I went to the Gathering. It was clean and nicely furnished, and the staff could not have been nicer.
I enjoyed the Portland Courtyard City Center as well, but I didn't think it was a great value back then and I can only imagine how much it costs now that Marriott has absorbed all of the Starwood chains as well. No wonder hotel alternatives like youth hostels and Airbnb are becoming so popular.

May I ask what a 'food truck' is, haven't come across that before
It's literally just a truck or van that serves food, same as you can find all over the world, but now they're considered trendy and cool. The meals are often made fresh but baked goods and items with a longer prepping time will generally be made the day before in a traditional kitchen. Here in San Antonio food trucks aren't anything special. In fact they generally overprice and under deliver compared to conventional stationary restaurants. However, in locations such as Portland proper food trucks are an art unto themselves. Many of them have surprisingly tasty and eclectic food at very fair prices.

May I ask what a 'food truck' is, haven't come across that before
Chris pretty much covered this Jamie. Portland does have an amazing assortment of food trucks,as does Austin.
As Chris said, it's luck of the draw with some being absolute tourist/trendoid rip offs ans others being fantastic.

I had lunch today @ Peruvian one located in an old school bus that was good as anything I ever had in Peru and the bill for 2 was $15!!!

When y'all come to Austin I'll take you there if interested!( taco wagons,bar-b-q and chicken fried steak joints are Austins other real food places IMO).

Airport Radisson!!! Killer free breakfast buffet & shuttle to airport where you connect to the Red Line on your way to PDX! (you do have to change light rail trains to get closer to Union Station) I'll let others chime in on that!

almost all the rooms are suites
Almost?
default_huh.png

Ever notice the name of the chain? Embassy Suites! Every guest room is at least a 1 bedroom suite!

almost all the rooms are suites
Almost?
default_huh.png
Ever notice the name of the chain? Embassy Suites! Every guest room is at least a 1 bedroom suite!
Now you have me wondering if there isn't at least one orphaned room that isn't really a suite and is only sold as an add-on to another room or to opaque purchase customers, or during special high volume periods.

The suites are designed for business purposes. You could close off the bedroom and meet with a client in the other part. Not sure this would be comfortable for everybody.

I will vouch for the restaurant at the courtyard. Always decent food and service. I don't like to stand and eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Steve, which Courtyard restaurant? If it's the one in Portland (not owned by the hotel, I believe), I was too tired to look for something the first morning so went there. They gave me one slice of burned toast with my breakfast, which cost twice as much as the delicious one I got from the food cart the other days. (And the food cart person boxed that up for me, with all the condiments and fork and napkins, and I took it back to my room and ate it in comfort there.)

Back