Coast starlight from lax to san luis obispo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcy

Taking 3 friends up to san luis obispo . First time for them on train. Would it be worth it to get a sleeper just to use the parlor car. Are you allowed to asked others in if ony one person has room . Thx

"Visitors" are not allowed in the sleeper cars. The Parlour car is billed as being for sleepr passengers but, how well this is enforced/what you can "get away with" is another thing.

For the "is it worth it part", only you can decide. It's a 5-1/2 hour trip by the timetable. You might look at a standard bedroom instead of a roomette...I believe you could get one for three people (not sure) and that way, all three of you would get lunch in the diner included.

I'm usually a sleeper car passenger but for LA to SLO, I'd probably just go Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner but that's just me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with FresnicPic's suggestion to take the Surfliner in Biz Class from LAX to SLO!

The alternative is to ride Coach on the Starlight since you have the Sight Seer Lounge Car and can pay to have lunch in the Diner ($10-$12 a head) which is still much cheaper than two Roomettes or Bedroom for 3 plus one in Coach( who wouldn't be allowed into the PPC) for the 5-6 Hour trip!

Agree with the suggestion to take the Surfliner in Biz Class from LAX to SLO!

The alternative is to ride Coach on the Starlight since you have the Sight Seer Lounge Car and can pay to have lunch in the Diner ($10-$12 a head) which is still much cheaper than two Roomettes or Bedroom plus one in Coach for the 5-6 Hour trip!

You could,as FrensicPic said, get a Bedroom for 3, (or Two Roomettes) which would include Lunch in the PPC, but one of you would still have to ride in Coach and wouldn't be allowed into the PPC,
Actually, 2 roomettes would cover all four of them vs 3 in bedroom. I'll let someone else do the cost/benefit analysis!

For Guest Marcy, you could request a pair of roomettes across the corridor from each other (if available).

Four Business Class seats on the Pacific Surfliner March 10, LAX - SLO would be $248 ($62/person).

Four adults and 2 sleeper berths on the Coast Starlight March 10, LAX - SLO are $328. ($82/person - lunch included in the dining car or the Pacific Parlour car)

Four Coach seats on the Coast Starlight March 10, LAX - SLO are $196 ($49/person)(add the most expensive dining car lunch - $72.50/person not including tip).

The Coast Starlight Pacific Parlour Car Day 1 Northbound Menu

Pacific Surfliner Cafe Menu

Coast Starlight Dining Car Menu

On the CS the most expensive dining car lunch (not including alcohol drinks) would be:

Pepsi or bottled water - $2.25

Garden Salad - $3

Chef's Marketplace Special - $12

Desert - $6.25

Total - $23.50 x 4 (Included for 4 with cost of 2 roomettes.)

$28.20 each including 20% tip.

Four Business Class seats on the Pacific Surfliner March 10, LAX - SLO would be $248 ($62/person).

Four adults and 2 sleeper berths on the Coast Starlight March 10, LAX - SLO are $328. ($82/person - lunch included in the dining car or the Pacific Parlour car)

Four Coach seats on the Coast Starlight March 10, LAX - SLO are $196 ($49/person)(add the most expensive dining car lunch - $72.50/person not including tip).

The Coast Starlight Pacific Parlour Car Day 1 Northbound Menu

Pacific Surfliner Cafe Menu

Coast Starlight Dining Car Menu

On the CS the most expensive dining car lunch (not including alcohol drinks) would be:

Pepsi or bottled water - $2.25

Garden Salad - $3

Chef's Marketplace Special - $12

Desert - $6.25

Total - $23.50 x 4 (Included for 4 with cost of 2 roomettes.)

$28.20 each including 20% tip.
Adding that (most expensive) lunch can change the picture!

I did the trip on coach, and it was pretty cool. First, it is regular city/suburbs (glendale-chatsworth), a tunnel, then more plains to ventura. From ventura is the awesome ocean view. The train is literally right next to the ocean, looking at the waves. Is obstructed a little near santa barbara, but more comes after goleta, on the high cliffs looking over the ocean. And mysterious views of vandenburg air force base . . . then arrival into san luis obispo. The rides awesome even without the parlor car. Go to the sightseer lounge for the best views, floor to ceiling windows!! Haven't been in bedrooms yet, nor the parlor car. Parlor car has wine and cheese tastings, but I've heard rumors that they serve the wine in plastic cups.

Conclusion: I haven't been on the sleepers yet, but the ride is awesome nonetheless. If you get coach, spend the time in the lounge for the best views. Has small cafe too. Have fun!!

You could also take Pac Surf, as mentioned by others. No dining car, no floor to ceiling windows, no parlor car, no sleeper car, though, but much cheaper than sleeper cars, even with business class. Dp times for pac surf to san luis obispo are 735A and 300P. The 300P train might offer sunset views along the way, though it arrives at 830P at night. Just be on the left side of the train (west or south side) for the ocean views. East side for more air force base stuff!

Thxs. I had a voucher from my last trip and i thought I would use it toward a sleeper . But My friends arent the stay in your seat type anyway So the views from the sightseer lounge would work out just fine. I just thought the parlor car would be nice. But it really doesnt seem to be much for such a short trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back