Coast Starlight North Followup

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Just north of Santa Barbara, my diner lunch reservation came up. We were riding along the coast, speeding along the cliffs overlooking the Pacific. As a single passenger I took a book to the diner, in case I got stuck seated with an uncommunicative geek or geeks. It happens.

I was seated alone (another reason to take a book), when a couple came along and were about to be seated next to me. The guy argued heavily that he did not want to sit with me, and that he wanted his own table. The Amtrak people explained that it doesn't work that way, and asked him to sit down. He finally did. The woman he was with turned out to be the guy's daughter, and she was very sweet. I apologized for them having to sit with me for lunch. Not my decision.

Then, against all odds, we struck up a very cool conversation. The man was from Jamaica, a citizen, and we shared similar political views. We all ordered the burgers, had a great time, and I shared points of interest as we went along, having been on the Starlight many times.

After the meal, as the train was around Vandenberg AFB, we shook hands and parted. He didn't tip. I always do.

I have a question for the forum:

What do you do when you see somebody not tip? There was nothing wrong with the service. The guy and his daughter were from coach, so maybe couldn't afford it. What to do? I felt the service was tipworthy, so here's what I did: Left my tip clearly on my side of the table, hoping it wouldn't be confused with the failure to tip. I just don't know.

I have a question for the forum:
What do you do when you see somebody not tip? There was nothing wrong with the service. The guy and his daughter were from coach, so maybe couldn't afford it. What to do? I felt the service was tipworthy, so here's what I did: Left my tip clearly on my side of the table, hoping it wouldn't be confused with the failure to tip. I just don't know.
Aloha

I believe you did the right thing, there have been times that I was unable to tip. To me a tip is a gift to express gratitude for ...... Good service ..... or any other reason to give a gift. If for some reason money is a problem, I have always said "Mahalo"

A possible reason this time, maybe in his culture, this practice is not done. There so many different customs around, that I never worry about someone else's conduct. That is their "kuliana" For me I do what I can to to do for me what I believe is right.

I would do exactly what you did, try to "weave in" the "tip" part into the conversation with the "newbies" (if they don't think your suppose to tip) and being the guy that I am, I would have left a tip from them as well if they had departed the table or left the amount on my side. I wouldn't do this for a meal of $100, but generally I always use the idea, "I would give a kid selling junk at my door $10 for his/her school function."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back