Coast Starlight out of L.A. now at 12:15pm??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hey, whats going on? Looking to make reservation after January 3 out of Los Angeles, and the time is now 12:15pm? (was 10:15).

is this new, permanent, or some sort of track work?

Southbound too! Now 2 hours later, arrives Los Angeles 11pm.

Southbound too! Now 2 hours later, arrives Los Angeles 11pm.
Read that headline over at Trainorders and realized my 14/28 connection would be impacted in February. Just spoke to an Amtrak agent about the fact that 14 arrives into PDX now at 5:40P while 28 still shows a 4:45P departure. He called his support desk and was told that there wasn't any information yet about how Amtrak intends to address this. He speculated that either 28's departure time would be adjusted or pax will be bustituted to Pasco. :blink:

Looks like it changes back to 10:15am departure on April 1st, 2011. Every date after Jan 1st, 2011 is now at the 12:15pm departure time. Very odd...

Hi

I have a reservation for next March on #14. Do you known if Amtrak Custmomer Care will contact me and give me the new schedule?

Looks like it changes back to 10:15am departure on April 1st, 2011. Every date after Jan 1st, 2011 is now at the 12:15pm departure time. Very odd...

Do the mudslides affect the #14,#11 & #28 or just #8??? May be there are mudslides I'm not aware of!

Thanx I,too, have FEB 5/14/28 connections!

A couple of years after the big mudslide in OR closed down the route, after they resumed service, I took #14. It left LAX at the usually time (10:15 AM) and made all the stops at the "regular" time. However, when we got to KFS, due to UP work at the site, we were held at KFS for a few hours while UP completed some work.

Because Amtrak knew before of the delay, they had coffee and IIRC donuts to provide to passengers at KFS inside the station during the hold!
smile.gif

They wouldn't change the schedule because of mudslides.

My guess is that there is some type of track work that UP wants to do and Amtrak had to move things around in order to avoid the track work windows.

So, will the 14 to 28 connection be made using a bus from EUG to PDX, or will the "bus bridge" be from KFS to PSC?

Apparently, UP is going to be doing track work from Gaviota to just north of Paso Robles. This is the reason for the change.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the forum about this. Myself and another friend were planning a cross-country Amtrak trip at the beginning of March.... CHI-LAX-PDX-CHI (via #3, #14, and #28)... and it looks like that is really screwed now because of the mis-connect of #14 and #28.

I have to say, it was almost disapointing to hear about this first on here instead of getting a call from Amtrak officially announcing it. :(

Now the question is... WHAT TO DO???

I really dont want a bus ride from Eugene to Pasco or Spokane or whatever... so I am really leaning towards cancelling or re-scheduling the whole thing now. What a shame!!! But, I also didn't drop 50,000 AGR points to sit on a bus for 8 or 12 hours either.

Quess I'll wait & read the night mare stories. If they are too bad, I may cancel, but that WOULD BE A SHAME!!!! Been looking forward to this for 6 months. I wouldn't mind so much if it wouldn't screw up my Roomette reservations all the way back to St Pete!!!!!
angry.gif
There is no way in hell I'll ride coach that far!!!!

Have Fun ?!?!

Just got off the phone with AGR! They said they would let me know within 2 days how I will be acommadated!!!

It seems I spend alot of time, with my fingers crossed, when dealing with Amtrk!!!
huh.gif

Southbound, an 11:00 arrival is going to wreak havoc with the connecting Surfliner that leaves LAUS at 10:10. It's that last departure of the night.
Yep. I was going to do San Jose - San Diego in January, using #11 and that last Surfliner, but now Amtrak says that's not possible, please instead enjoy our suggested routings on a bus, San Joaquin, bus, and Surfliner. Pass, thanks but no thanks.

The new schedule also plays heck with our station host scheduling, because of some interesting interactions between AmBus, Capitol Corridor and the new CS schedule. Grin and bear it, right?

Actually, there is an Ambus that leaves in early am from LAX to San Diego. Check on San Joaquin timetable. Bus leaves LAX at 2:50 am and arrives at San Diego at 5:35 am.

Last edited by a moderator:
we have an agr trip in january coming north on the cs to pdx to take the eb to spk. called agr and asked if we could continue to seattle and take train 8 to spk the next day(overnight in seattle at our expense). they made the change without problem. pretty nice 1 zone redemption. spk-pdx-lax-trinidad,co. returning trin-lax-sea-spk.

OK,
rolleyes.gif
I'm set!!! I'm staying over a night in PDX & taking the #28 the next day with roomettes all the way to FLA! Got a room at the Residence Inn Down Town/River Place with shuttle to & from Station. I asked if they would cover my hotel & they said the connection between the #14 & #28 wasn't garaunteed???? I didn't argue! Again AU has saved my butt! Thanx all!!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,
rolleyes.gif
I'm set!!! I'm staying over a night in PDX & taking the #28 the next day with roomettes all the way to FLA! Got a room at the Residence Inn Down Town/River Place with shuttle to & from Station. I asked if they would cover my hotel & they said the connection between the #14 & #28 wasn't garaunteed???? I didn't argue! Again AU has saved my butt! Thanx all!!!!

RF
That is my favorite hotel in downtown Portland. You can't beat the amenities for the price. The free breakfast buffet is amazing and the Portland street car stops right in front of the hotel. The street car is free downtown as are the MAX trains (downtown). The hotel is right on the waterfront, so be sure to stroll waterfront park, with its view of the Willamette river Portland's many bridges.

Man I need to book this NOW!!! Rare daylight passage through the Sacramento River canyon and Mt. Shasta *Guaranteed!* Hoooray!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back