Coast Starlight Restart and Pacific Parlour Cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal

Conductor
I'm booking an airfare to LAX and a Starlight trip up to my old hometown of Paso Robles. As I indicated in another thread or two, I've been wanting to test out the Parlour Car, so I'd like to book a roomette on the return (my outbound leg is too close to my flight, so I don't want to chance missing the train and being out the cost of the sleeper).

However, if the Parlour Car is not in the consist, I don't want to waste the $70 (it appears it's low bucket) on the sleeper on a daylight (1:30pm-9pm) trip (well, it's only a waste of maybe $30, I guess, as I can get lunch and dinner, at ~$20 per meal, out of it).

So, assuming the restart of full LAX-SEA train service and/or the relaunch of the Starlight as a premier train (I'm a bit confused on the dates, even after re-skimming the appropriate threads--which is happening when?) goes smoothly, what is the status of the PPC? Can I expect it (with reasonable certainty, anyway, barring a bad-ordered car or something) in the consist, or is it going to be awhile before the cars make it back in full rotation?

Since it's at low bucket now, I have the feeling I should buy now. However, would I be better off attempting an on-board upgrade only if the PPC is in the consist? (Basically, if there's, maybe, a 50% chance the PPC will be in the train, I'd be willing to book the roomette, but if the PPCs are mostly still at Beech Grove and there's only one in circulation, then no.)

Like any good little Amtrak traveler, I went ahead and booked two reservations (on my new AGR MC, natch), one round-trip LAX-PRB in coach and one LAX-PRB with a roomette on the return (Car 1130, Room 006--where is this room in the car and should I call and ask to be moved? I'll hopefully be in the PPC or Sightseer Lounge for most of the trip, though), so I've bought myself a bit of time for the decision (trip's at the end of May). I would have booked separate outbound and returns, but PRB is unstaffed/un-kiosked and it was going to force me to have it mailed (which I obviously don't want to do because of the 10% penalty on refunds, nevermind that it might not even make it in the mail to me and back before the 7-day cancellation window)...although I'm a little concerned that if I miss the outbound Starlight and have to exchange the Starlight ticket for a Surfliner ticket, they'll reticket the return leg, too, jacking my fare up or something. Would it be better for me to book separately and have them hold the ticket for pick-up at LAX (since I'll be passing through LAX on the outbound, obviously)? Can someone remind me how to do that--do I need to call and book the reservation on the phone, or can I book it online and call them before they mail it?

I know this is a mess of questions, and I've hung around here and FT long enough that I should know the answers, but it's always a little different when you're booking your own stuff ('cause it can hit your pocketbook!). Any recommendations on the best way to handle this situation?

(For those who like short lists and bullet points, here's a recap and an attempt to untangle the above mess of questions:

• What is the chance the PPC will be in the consist (May 27 southbound PRB-LAX)
  • Given that I may not make the outbound Starlight from LAX and that PRB is unstaffed, what is the best way of booking a round-trip (May 25-May 27) itinerary with a sleeper upgrade on the return leg?How do I book the two legs separately without having them mail the tickets for the return?
  • If I book as a single itinerary and miss the outbound Starlight, how will exchanging the tickets for a different outbound train (the later Surfliner) affect the upgraded return leg of the Starlight?

Thanks much in advance!

I can only answer 1 question with any certainty - maybe. I received a call from Amtrak scheduling, regarding an earlier trip on the CS that was cancelled by me. (It was an AGR award, that I cancelled and AGR redeposited the points - but the "forgot" to tell Amtrak that I had cancelled! :rolleyes: This was reserved in September, and cancelled before the end of the year.)

Anyway, the trip was for May 1. They wanted to notify me of the bus-titution. After talking to the rep, she said that (pending any further delays) the full CS is scheduled to start IIRC May 5 northbound and May 6 southbound.

From AAW, a passenger advocacy group in Washington State:

COAST STARLIGHT UPDATE:----------------------------------

As of April 15th, the Coast Starlight will run a full consist (yes, that includes the diner and sleeping cars) between Klamath Falls and Los Angeles, and run a stub train (coaches and lounge) between Seattle and Eugene. A bus will operate between Eugene and Klamath Falls, to get around the slide area. Also, the bus connection between the NB Coast Starlight and the EB Empire Builder at Klamath Falls to Pasco has been reinstated and train 14 will make local stops between Eugene and Seattle (unlike the pre-slide days, when train 14 operated "discharge only" from Eugene and points north. However, it is unknown if Amtrak may reinstate this restriction when the train operates "whole" again.)

There is no actual date set in the resumption of the entire Coast Starlight by train, though apparently Amtrak reservations is selling through trains for trips beyond May 5th with a stipulation that the trip may involve equipment changes (bus substituton)

The relauching of the Coast Starlight with enhanced services will be delayed until mid-summer. It was originally planned for National Train Day, but Amtrak wants to complete the renovation of the Pacific Parlour Cars before relaunch.
I've bolded the most important part of this notice. And please note that this is far from official and at least so far, unconfirmed by a second source.

Turning to the other questions, room 6 is a very nice room in the middle of the car on the upper level.

No clue on your chances to get a PPC or not.

I'm not sure if it is possible to get Amtrak to not mail the tickets if you book to seperate trips. As for doing it RT, they shouldn't need to adjust the second half of the reservation in the event that you change the first half. But I'm not 100% positive of that.

• How do I book the two legs separately without having them mail the tickets for the return?
  • If I book as a single itinerary and miss the outbound Starlight, how will exchanging the tickets for a different outbound train (the later Surfliner) affect the upgraded return leg of the Starlight?
Recently I made some reservations on-line. The Website said they would MAIL me the tickets and that I had no choice in the matter. After completing the reservation and printing my copy of the itinerary, I then called Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL) and asked to speak to an Agent. I explained that I wanted to CHANGE an existing reservation, giving my reservation number from my print-out. I explained the only change was that they should NOT mail me the tickets, but allow me to pick them up in person at an AMTRAK station (ticket counter OR ticket machine). No problem. The tickets were ready to be printed when I arrived to get them.

I have never seen the pricing for a round-trip to differ from the pricing for the two legs booked separately. So I would be surprised if cancelling or changing one leg should affect anything about the other. In any case, you can INSIST on it... those Reservations are perfectly valid and you fully intend to use them.

From AAW, a passenger advocacy group in Washington State:
COAST STARLIGHT UPDATE:----------------------------------

The relauching of the Coast Starlight with enhanced services will be delayed until mid-summer. It was originally planned for National Train Day, but Amtrak wants to complete the renovation of the Pacific Parlour Cars before relaunch.
I've bolded the most important part of this notice. And please note that this is far from official and at least so far, unconfirmed by a second source.
According to Amtrak's Service Alert for the CS, "Train service along the entire route is expected to resume in May" (I'd post a link, but it's in a pop-up box from the CS reservations page & I'm not sure how to link that). The Service Alert pops up for any reservations attempted for the month of May - from June 1 onward it doesn't show up. Considering that the Route page for the CS says "mid 2008", I wonder if the AAW really has any information other than these two tidbits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.

Well, if Amtrak is still renovating the PPCs, I think I'll go ahead and cancel the reservation with the sleeper (although since I can get two meals out of it, I might end up keeping it...in any case, I'll give it a couple weeks before canceling it in case there is new news about the PPCs then).

The bustitution won't affect me, as this is all in southern California. It's the PPCs I'm mostly concerned about.

Thanks for the clarification and help!

I travelled south from San Jose to Santa Barbara today(24/4) and both that train and the northbound we passsed at San Luis Obispo had no parlour car in the consist.....

Hmm...the decision is becoming slightly more complicated...

I'm going to book a different flight that gets me in to LAX at 7am, leaving me with no chance of missing the Starlight's 10:15 northbound departure. So maybe I should go ahead and keep the low-bucket sleeper...but again, I wouldn't consider it worth it without the PPC in the consist. (Northbound, I think I can only get lunch...if I keep the upgrade southbound, at least I can get a late lunch and dinner).

Hmm...will have to do some more thinking...

I'm going to book a different flight that gets me in to LAX at 7am, leaving me with no chance of missing the Starlight's 10:15 northbound departure. So maybe I should go ahead and keep the low-bucket sleeper...but again, I wouldn't consider it worth it without the PPC in the consist. (Northbound, I think I can only get lunch...if I keep the upgrade southbound, at least I can get a late lunch and dinner).

Take FlyAway bus from LAX to LAX. Oops, I mean LAUS. It's a breeze, like half hour to 45 minute ride, depending on traffic.

Take FlyAway bus from LAX to LAX. Oops, I mean LAUS. It's a breeze, like half hour to 45 minute ride, depending on traffic.
Yup...that's what I was planning. My original flight (which was $40 cheaper) was scheduled to arrive at 9:02am, which was cutting it pretty dang close to making the 9:00 FlyAway (which would have been perfect) or the 9:30 (which had a slight chance of making it to LAUS before the 10:15 departure).

But I feel much more comfortable booking the earlier flight. Anyone have a recommendation for a good breakfast in the neighborhood of LAUS? Will Phillippe's be open and serving French dips at 8 or 9am? :D

Aloha

When I saw this last night I was thinking of the glowing/hunger report from the Whooz about the bagels, do they have knishes also?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've eaten a bagel there before. Tasty but not much different than bagels from anywhere else. I prefer to experience unique cuisine when I travel...Phillippe's it is!

(And if anyone in CA or along the Starlight line notices PPCs running more often before my May 25 trip, feel free to PM me or post back here so I can decide whether to keep the sleeper or not.)

What are the meal times on the Starlight?

Knowing how many meals I can get may affect my decision to keep the sleeper booking even if the PPCs aren't in service...

I was told by Amtrak officials this week that they hope to have five Pacific Parlour Cars in service on the CS in "late May or early June." The biggest refurb will involve the theater downstairs: the little 30-inch TV is being replaced with a 52-inch plasma screen. And there will be something called "alternate food service" in that car, so sleepers can choose to eat their Dining Car dinner or a Parlour Car meal. They'll be different menus, so there will be more choice, apparently. And (yay!) the wine-tastings will continue! :)

I was told by Amtrak officials this week that they hope to have five Pacific Parlour Cars in service on the CS in "late May or early June." The biggest refurb will involve the theater downstairs: the little 30-inch TV is being replaced with a 52-inch plasma screen. And there will be something called "alternate food service" in that car, so sleepers can choose to eat their Dining Car dinner or a Parlour Car meal. They'll be different menus, so there will be more choice, apparently. And (yay!) the wine-tastings will continue! :)
we are on the cs 6/21 so we sure hope this happens. thanks for the optimistic update

:( Maybe they'll put the one PPC that was seen on its way back to LAUS in "preview service" for my train... :lol:

I was told by Amtrak officials this week that they hope to have five Pacific Parlour Cars in service on the CS in "late May or early June."
Does this timeline depend on the refurbishment of the cars, or the reinstatement of full service through Oregon? One would hope that Amtrak has the PPC cars ready, & is simply waiting to "relaunch" when they can send a complete train LAX-Seattle. After all, they were supposed to relaunch on May 10th. If the refurbishment isn't done and the relaunch is behind schedule, & they would have missed the May 10th date anyway, Amtrak certainly has found the mudslide to be a convenient "scapegoat".

You got it reversed. The CS is, supposedly, supposed to go back into full service in just a few days. The delay is, infact, the PPCs and other refurbishments.

You got it reversed. The CS is, supposedly, supposed to go back into full service in just a few days. The delay is, infact, the PPCs and other refurbishments.
Really? The last I heard, the May 5th date has gone by the wayside, and they're now saying "some time in May" for LAX-Seattle service (as we've discussed in other threads). Amtrak's web site warns everyone that bustitutes may be in effect through May 31st. I've not heard anything regarding a date for full refurbishment except what's in this thread.

The restart for the through service is May 6 northbound and May 7 southbound. Although subject to change, Amtrak has not waited until the last week to make the changes in the past. My bet is that this time it the dates are firm.

The article mentions a statement made by Amtrak released "this afternoon" (which would have been April 30th). I haven't seen any mention of this on Amtrak's site, but there has been a change to the reservation system - the "bustitution" is gone after May 7th (although the official Service Alert still pops up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back