Coast Starlight Restart

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's NARP Hotline News reports that sleepers through 5/6 are being held to rebook displaced passengers.
Thanks, that makes sense. The quote from the 4/11 NARP Hotline News is "Amtrak has blocked until Monday, April 14 the sale of sleeper space for trains operating through May 6 to allow previously-booked passengers to be reaccommodated."

Would be great if Amtrak had this on their website, though, to avoid confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I think the only folks confused are us, because we know the sleepers are going and can't possibly have been booked that quickly.

Thats often a problem I see on enthusiasts sites- a belief people will be confused by things they can't be confused by, because they don't know enough to be confused.

A lounge/coach/train attendant doing something out of protocol confuses me because I know the protocol. It does not confuse the average pax who doesn't know Amtrak inside and out. If I'm on the Lake Shore Limited and see the train pull out towards the North Shore tunnels, I'm going to be confused as hell. Most passengers are going to completely unaware of why I would be confused.

Perhaps "confused" wasn't quite the right word. What I was imagining is people looking up sleeper availability on Coast Starlight, seeing that it's all sold out, shrugging their shoulders and giving up their trip (or flying to their destination). This falls under the general category of "confusion", even though these people wouldn't even know they're confused -- they'd simply think the sleepers are all sold out. And Amtrak is potentially losing customers due to this. They really should've put up a message along the lines of "sleeper accomodations on Coast Starlight for departures between 4/15 and 5/6 are currently on hold, but they will be released after 4/14 so please check again after that date."

We have a bedroom booked on the 19th going south out of Frisco, I will see how booked they are?

Barring the mountain suddenly collapsing again, it will be.
While riding past the LA yard this morning, I got a 2-second glance at what I think was a repainted Parlour Car. I can't confirm that, but I'll look for it on the way home tonight. I hadn't seen the Parlour Car in the new colours :D yet

While riding past the LA yard this morning, I got a 2-second glance at what I think was a repainted Parlour Car. I can't confirm that, but I'll look for it on the way home tonight. I hadn't seen the Parlour Car in the new colours :D yet
Snap a photo if you can!

Snap a photo if you can!
I couldn't get a photo, but it was indeed the Parlour Car. On the blue stripe under the windows, where it says "Superliner" on most cars, it says (in bigger type) "Santa Lucia Highlands"

A friend on my train has a camera in her phone; she will try to get it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back