Coast Starlight - Schedule Adjustment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russianrail

Train Attendant
I just saw the schedule advisory for the Coast Starlight from May 23 (yes, tomorrow) through August 1 (see text below). As I am riding the Coast Starlight in June (albiet SB), I have been watching the schedule and #14 seems to have lots of trouble being on-time, let alone early (see today's status, for example). Where are they getting this extra time in the schedule (25 minutes not at a major station seems a lot to me) and will an already late #14 be delayed even more going through this area.?

Many thanks.

Northbound Coast Starlight Train 14 Departs Earlier from Klamath Falls and Chemult

The last week or so notwithstanding, the CS has actually been doing pretty well this year.

There is a lot of padding in the schedule at Klamath Falls. I believe some servicing of the train occurs there, but sometimes

the northbound train sits there for over an hour. What this advisory is basically saying is that if the train does get there early,

it will leave "early" to allow for additional delays due to trackwork up the line. If the train is already running late when it gets

to K-Falls, it won't get this head-start and will have to suffer the consequences. Either way, it has no effect on stations

north of Chemult. Theoretically if they leave Chemult 25 minutes early and hit no trackwork delays, they'll have to sit

around in EUG to wait for the scheduled departure time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back