coast starlight through Fresno

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what time the detoured Coast Starlight will be in Fresno today or tomorrow?

I believe on the second day, someone on the train posted that they were in the Fresno area around 18:30.

What I find amazing about the reroute is that there are no stops between Los Angeles and Oakland on this service and it's a straight shot from Bakersfield to Lathrop, yet #14 seems to have been substantially late arriving into Oakland every day of the detour period.

I believe on the second day, someone on the train posted that they were in the Fresno area around 18:30.

What I find amazing about the reroute is that there are no stops between Los Angeles and Oakland on this service and it's a straight shot from Bakersfield to Lathrop, yet #14 seems to have been substantially late arriving into Oakland every day of the detour period.
The UP hasn't exactly been busting its okole *aka* rear end to expedite the CS up the San Joaquin Valley

we were on 14 on monday. up and down tehachapi was slow (not complaining) and turning the train at lathrop took forever (not complaining). also, just as we started down altamont pass a driver tried to beat the train and in the process broke the arm on the crossing gate which we then hit. the car made it through and disappeared but we were stopped for a while to check for damage to the train from hitting the broken arm from the gate. that was part of why we were 45 minutes late in to oakland

we were on 14 on monday. up and down tehachapi was slow (not complaining) and turning the train at lathrop took forever (not complaining). also, just as we started down altamont pass a driver tried to beat the train and in the process broke the arm on the crossing gate which we then hit. the car made it through and disappeared but we were stopped for a while to check for damage to the train from hitting the broken arm from the gate. that was part of why we were 45 minutes late in to oakland
I am still on #14 from Tuesday; not very late into Oakland; our only real delay was a 137 car freight at Lathrop.

Edit: Now we have a delay, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The debris apparently hit a relief valve on the main air reservoir, causing a slow leak. The engineers were able to temporarily stop the leak so that the train could proceed, but Oakland mechanical was called to make a permanent fix at one of the stops.

JB64 & ColdRain,

Yea, it's me. Many thanks for watching my videos. Im thinking about another trip to Omaha from LA.

Also there's another CS detour next week those who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back