Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The case of the Coast Starlight is just another example of the decline of taste, politeness, and general functioning in America. The American century has come to a close. We are watching the passing of the baton to new centers of power and greatness elsewhere on the globe. Have you been on American Airlines lately? Have you been on any of the U.S. air carriers lately? The same petty, narcissistic, self-centered attitude in our government that allowed a stupid turf war within the FAA, dressed up in the garb of American Airlines, to be visited on the flying public this week, is precisely the same self-centered and tiresome attitude that keeps Amtrak from being funded as a viable entity. Our government is content to ride rough-shod over the American people. Our elected leadership would just as soon have all of us living in Section-8 housing as they would have us wallowing in a neurotic fear of not getting a mortgage bail-out. Our leaders have distilled themselves down into an oligarchy hostile to the fabric of individual human dignity. Since well-run and pleasant travel facilities enhance the individual's spirit, just as good food and safe cities do, we are sure not to see these in the present century. Today's Amtrak, like the airlines, like the big-box stores, like the retail giants selling us junk, are symbols of the sacrifice of excellence and good taste to the pitiful and petty.
I just wanted to mention, when it comes to looking at the world, you and I seem to be on the same page.
Please... if you want to point blame, point it at US. We the people. We who expect government to be the answer to everything. We who think we are entitled to everything. We who wine if we don't make enough, or if others make to much. We who buy that cheap piece of garbage at Wall Mart because we are too cheap to buy something with some quality thus fattening their bottom line and THEN we complain about how big they have become! Don't blame the government or politics... we are just getting what we want and what we are asking for. We are a spoiled, gimmie gimmie, cheap society in general with a huge sense of entitlement, unwilling to take the risks, do the work or accept that we are entitled to NOTHING except our God given lives, our freedom (willingly given away in the name of security) and opportunity. THAT is why we are in the dumpsters and going deeper. Our polititions are only a reflection of what we Americans have become. Until WE change, WE can't expect that THEY will.
OK, I give. Who is "THEY" ???

Naturally, it is our own fault. We placed it here, and we allow it to stay here because we tolerate it. We are penny wise, pound foolish to the bloody max. People simply don't think in any long term way.

Let me give you an example. Currently, in showrooms today, there are a variety of so-called green cars available for sale. Hybrids, diesels, whatever. People are abandoning their old cars for these new ones to save the planet, conserve resources in the form of fuel. Except it takes more fuel to build one of these so-called green automobiles than the persons old car will use in its natural life.

My car, a '95 Mercedes diesel, is supposedly a non-green car. I've even been accosted about it by several people driving cars with huge HYBRID badges on them. Except my car is in its 13th year (it was built in March of '94) running stronger than a race horse, and more solid in its age than any car I saw at the autoshow this year. My car might not be all that fuel efficient (its not horrible- it can get 30 mpg on the highway) and may produce more emissions than the newest model. But I'm not planning on buying a new car this year. Or this decade. Or the rest of my life.

Nobody I know actually realizes, or even understands the argument when I give it, that the car is more efficient than a new hybrid because it already exists on the road now. That heavier, better built, more solid automobile is greener because it doesn't need frequent replacement. People don't even seem to understand the simple concept that when you cash out your mortgage, you aren't making a dime- infact, you're losing a ton.

So long as someone doesn't understand that cashing out home equity is simply an accounting change rather than a monetary windfall, I doube we can ever change anything.

Nobody I know actually realizes, or even understands the argument when I give it, that the car is more efficient than a new hybrid because it already exists on the road now. That heavier, better built, more solid automobile is greener because it doesn't need frequent replacement. People don't even seem to understand the simple concept that when you cash out your mortgage, you aren't making a dime- infact, you're losing a ton.
So long as someone doesn't understand that cashing out home equity is simply an accounting change rather than a monetary windfall, I doube we can ever change anything.
Some things on which we completely agree. Some of the people whineing in public about their mortgage problems shoudl be embarassed to admit their overwhelming stupidity in public. Multiple refinancings. Adjustable rates. Interest only or less payments! Are they completely insane? Your house is NOT an ATM. You have to live some where. If you have a house do your best to get it paid off. That is the smartest thing you can do financially. Hello! Anybody home?

If you have a house do your best to get it paid off. That is the smartest thing you can do financially. Hello! Anybody home?
True, except there is one thing you can do that's financially smarter: borrow against your house for investments in other real estate (preferably apartment buildings or other ones that will make you money)! But nothing is dumber than borrowing against your house to buy a TV, a new car, or whatever...

If you have a house do your best to get it paid off. That is the smartest thing you can do financially. Hello! Anybody home?
True, except there is one thing you can do that's financially smarter: borrow against your house for investments in other real estate (preferably apartment buildings or other ones that will make you money)! But nothing is dumber than borrowing against your house to buy a TV, a new car, or whatever...
Everything in moderation.

"borrow against your house for investments in other real estate"

This sounds straight off of the television "get rich" programs. If it is such a money-making proposition, it should be able to pay for itself and be the security for its own loan. Walking away from the loan shouldn't be on one's mind when making the purchase. I'm with Mr. Harris. While watching the HGTV (for entertainment while doing my taxes) I was appalled to see young people signing the contracts and disclosures (closing docs) for the biggest purchase of their lives and NOT reading the fineprint...seemingly with no closing attorney present. Our state requires that one (representing the bank) be present at the table. Before closing I ask for the whole package and read it the night before making notes. At the closing table I compare every page with what is put before me. Besides believing that the world is rosy, not reading the papers and considering the consequences is the other mistake these purchasers are making. At both the original purchase and the only refi (to lower the rate) undertaken the other parties commented on how smooth and quickly it went. I've commented on the expectations of these young people in their home selections. Many of us can remember living with multiple family members in a 1100 square foot home and being happy. Our parent's generation didn't have the assumption that even that space would be fully furnished upon moving in. I guess this all falls under deferred gratification, or "making do or doing without".... full of those. This requirement for spaciousness has even crept into the military... Neither do I understand my neighbors who hire someone to cut their lawns and then pay for a workout club membership (and this isn't a restrictive area)... and then file for bankruptcy when they can't pay their other bills.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Amtrak or our elected officials but I've spent enough of my professional life getting others out of financial/tax problems that I hate to see misinformation on the subject.

Green Lion: I applaud your ways.

-CPA

"borrow against your house for investments in other real estate"
This sounds straight off of the television "get rich" programs. If it is such a money-making proposition, it should be able to pay for itself and be the security for its own loan. Walking away from the loan shouldn't be on one's mind when making the purchase. I'm with Mr. Harris. While watching the HGTV (for entertainment while doing my taxes) I was appalled to see young people signing the contracts and disclosures (closing docs) for the biggest purchase of their lives and NOT reading the fineprint...seemingly with no closing attorney present. Our state requires that one (representing the bank) be present at the table. Before closing I ask for the whole package and read it the night before making notes. At the closing table I compare every page with what is put before me. Besides believing that the world is rosy, not reading the papers and considering the consequences is the other mistake these purchasers are making. At both the original purchase and the only refi (to lower the rate) undertaken the other parties commented on how smooth and quickly it went. I've commented on the expectations of these young people in their home selections. Many of us can remember living with multiple family members in a 1100 square foot home and being happy. Our parent's generation didn't have the assumption that even that space would be fully furnished upon moving in. I guess this all falls under deferred gratification, or "making do or doing without".... full of those. This requirement for spaciousness has even crept into the military... Neither do I understand my neighbors who hire someone to cut their lawns and then pay for a workout club membership (and this isn't a restrictive area)... and then file for bankruptcy when they can't pay their other bills.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Amtrak or our elected officials but I've spent enough of my professional life getting others out of financial/tax problems that I hate to see misinformation on the subject.

Green Lion: I applaud your ways.

-CPA
I agree with you. Money isn't for everything. I live on my "needs", not wants (well not including for riding train).

I agree with you. Money isn't for everything. I live on my "needs", not wants (well not including for riding train).
Well said. Thanks for the nice transition back to discussing trains. Hope no-one kicked their dog during this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
. Before closing I ask for the whole package and read it the night before making notes. At the closing table I compare every page with what is put before me. Besides believing that the world is rosy, not reading the papers and considering the consequences is the other mistake these purchasers are making.
A few years ago my son bought a house. He saw a statement about agreeing to the subdivision deed covanents, so he asked for them. Was told it would take about three hours to read them. His answer, I guess I won't be signing anything for about another three hours, then. They were a little upset, but so what? Glad I got that concept through to him. There are poeple in his town that complain because they were surprised by being able to hear train noise. Huh? The town was built around and named for a railroad. Don't people do any research before diving into the biggest purchase of their lives?

For me, the greatest luxury is peace of mind. I value it above all else, which is why I ride the train, and why I tend to be careful with staying within my means. I don't want to worry that if my income drops 1%, I am going to be screwed over monetarily. And keeping money saved up so as to eventually retire on its interest is the backbone of peace of mind in age.

There are poeple in his town that complain because they were surprised by being able to hear train noise. Huh? The town was built around and named for a railroad. Don't people do any research before diving into the biggest purchase of their lives?
People will buy a house right next to a rail line, then complain because of the noise from the trains.

People will buy a house right next to a rail line, then complain because of the noise from the trains.
I'd love a house next to a rail line. Though I wouldn't be complaining, of course! That being said, I once lived under the approach path to an airport, and become fond of the planes coming in overhead, so I suppose I wouldn't fall into the category of people who are concerned by such things.

"QUOTE (George Harris @ Wed, Apr 16, 2008, 03:38 AM)

There are poeple in his town that complain because they were surprised by being able to hear train noise. Huh? The town was built around and named for a railroad. Don't people do any research before diving into the biggest purchase of their lives?

People will buy a house right next to a rail line, then complain because of the noise from the trains. "

Isn't there a track somewhere in California that runs along the beach and the people who later built houses there have wanted the track moved away from them?

This is similar to the urbanites who want to retire to North Georgia and forget that a county without zoning ordinances and WITH chicken houses (and the fergit hell group) as neighbors makes a bad combo.

"Hybrids, diesels, whatever. People are abandoning their old cars for these new ones to save the planet, conserve resources in the form of fuel. Except it takes more fuel to build one of these so-called green automobiles than the persons old car will use in its natural life."

Seems like I've read somewhere that some of the hybrids will require the replacement of the large battery a few years down the road and that the replacement cost is high. I would ask that question before buying one, especially a used one... and that further erodes the greenableness.

...take trains.

I'd love a house next to a rail line. Though I wouldn't be complaining, of course! That being said, I once lived under the approach path to an airport, and become fond of the planes coming in overhead, so I suppose I wouldn't fall into the category of people who are concerned by such things.
HEEEH, What did ya say sonny,speak louder! :lol:

I used to! I grew up in a tiny town on the Central Coast of California called Templeton. Charles Crocker, the former president of Southern Pacific Railroad, was one of the landowners of the area to become the town of Templeton. The town was originally named after Crocker, but because of Crocker's bad business reputation (which was causing the land to sell slowly), the decision was made to rename it after Crocker's son, Templeton.

My house was a five-acre parcel across the street from the high school with one of the oldest surviving houses in the town (dating from the 1920s). Literally backing up to the property was the SP mainline, although the best view was from behind the old shed in the backyard that our washer and dryer were in (Google Maps satellite imagery shows it's now a pool!). Fortunately, there were several private crossings (literally driveways) both north and south, and with a freight speed limit of 40, the whistles gave me plenty of advance notice for trains from both directions. When I was home and awake, I don't think I ever missed watching a train roll by, even if all I could do was make it to the back window.

If I move to a town with railroad tracks running through it, I'd consider railroad tracks next to a house a positive selling point... :)

So do we know if the first fully-equipped CS left as scheduled yesterday?
Yes, it did. :)

Click here for a news story and pictures of the train in Klamath Falls from KTVZ.com.
Thanks! And according to amtrakdelays, the first one arrived right on time, & today's was only 10 minutes late!

Although I found one quote to be a little troubling: “We don’t have an estimated date at this time,” Richmond said. “We hope to have a better sense of how long this will take in the next couple of weeks.” I thought it was supposed to RESTART in a couple of weeks (May 5). Maybe June now?

Hello, I just booked a RT on the Starlight from Bakersfield to Seattle. Does anyone know which side of the car this

room is on:

Room 012 - Car 1430

Thanks!

Hello, I just booked a RT on the Starlight from Bakersfield to Seattle. Does anyone know which side of the car this room is on:

Room 012 - Car 1430

Thanks!
Since the car can be orientated in either direction, there is no way to know for sure which side of the train you'll be on. On average, I'd say that you probably have maybe a 75% chance that you'll be on the left side going north.

But again, a sleeping car can be run in either direction, so there is no guarantee which side your room will be on.

Hello, I just booked a RT on the Starlight from Bakersfield to Seattle.
The Starlight does not run from Bakersfield to Seattle. Perhaps you are taking the San Joaquin Train from Bakersfield, and transferring to the Starlight at Martinez? (or routing via Los Angeles?)

In any case, Have a great trip!

Hello, I just booked a RT on the Starlight from Bakersfield to Seattle.
The Starlight does not run from Bakersfield to Seattle. Perhaps you are taking the San Joaquin Train from Bakersfield, and transferring to the Starlight at Martinez? (or routing via Los Angeles?)

In any case, Have a great trip!
Yeah, the coach train to Sac, then CS to Seattle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back