Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to spend next week in San Luis Obispo on business, so I decided to take the train. I have some questions that maybe y'all can help me out with:

1. I booked a round trip ticket EMY - SLO departing Sunday, returning the following Saturday. It's possible I may have my work finished in time to catch the Friday train home. Should I have booked two separate tickets in order to retain flexibility on the return trip? Or is there a way I can print out only the outbound portion so I won't incur a change fee if I change my return date? I can cancel my reservation and re-book the two portions separately if I have to, because I haven't printed the tickets yet, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

2. The train departs EMY about 8:20am. Does anybody know if the dining car is normally open for entraining passengers at that hour (assuming the train is on time, of course)? Alternatively, is there a cafe car in the consist?

3. I didn't see business class offered on the CS. Do you suppose the coaches will be crowded on a Sunday? I understand it's a very popular train, and I'm hoping I can get some work done on the way south. I can get a roomette for an extra $69, and I haven't ruled that out, but I'm a bit of a penny-pincher on behalf of my small-business clent.

4. I notice several Amtrak buses ply the same route. Am I correct that they aren't available unless I book a connecting train trip as well? Since I booked EMY - SLO and return, I wonder why the buses are listed as an option, since I've already indicated I don't want to go anywhere else on this particular trip. The bus is an hour faster and only $2 more expensive each way, but the train is going to be a helluva lot more fun.
icon6.gif

Thanks for your help.

1. There is no way to print just 1 portion of the tickets. If you print them, you get ALL on that reservation. I would make 2 reservations. Also, that way you don't have a chance to lose or forget the return ticket before the following Saturday.

2. They will still be serving until IIRC 9 AM. And there is a lounge/cafe aboard too.

3. There is no BC aboard the CS. One advantage of taking a roomette is that you are guaranteed a power outlet in your roomette and a quiet place to work. Another advantage is that with a roomette, all your meals in the Dining Car are included. And third, this would entitle you to use the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)! The PPC is ONLY available on the CS!

4. You could get around this by booking a train portion (such as Berkley to EMY) and "forgetting" to take the train!

1. What you want to do is book a ticket for Friday and Saturday as soon as possible. As long as you are traveling coach Amtrak has a very generous return policy. Don't do this through the website, call two separate times and make two separate reservations. There are no change fees, but if you just show up a day early prices may have gone up and you will have to pay the difference. If you book ahead and just cancel the ticket you are not going to use and you get to keep the low price and get your money back on the other ticket.

2. Dining car will be open and yes there is a snack car.

3. There is no business class, but it is a long distance train so the coaches are very generous. Long distance coach = NEC business class - free sodas. I wouldn't worry about roomettes unless you really need absolute quiet to work and can get insane amounts of work done that way. You would get breakfast and lunch included and they cost about ten bucks a pop so having that privacy would cost you about 50 bucks. For me coach is fine for a short ride like this.

4. I wouldn't worry about the buses. I will take a extra hour on the train over having to ride a bus any day. Plus those buses connect to short distance trains that are not as nice.

it is a long distance train so the coaches are very generous. Long distance coach = NEC business class - free sodas.
That's news to me! :eek: Do you mean that in my riding for the past 39 years that I've been missing out on a benefit when I ride COACH? :huh: (You don't even get free sodas with a roomette or bedroom - maybe I'll go back to coach.)

it is a long distance train so the coaches are very generous. Long distance coach = NEC business class - free sodas.
That's news to me! :eek: Do you mean that in my riding for the past 39 years that I've been missing out on a benefit when I ride COACH? :huh: (You don't even get free sodas with a roomette or bedroom - maybe I'll go back to coach.)
I am pretty sure the poster meant NEC Business class MINUS free sodas. They never gave out sodas in coach, and don't do it in sleepers anymore, either (although you still get bottled water in sleepers).

I'm looking at that little minus (-) sign in front of the free sodas and thinking he means Long Distance Coach= NEC business class minus the free sodas. Or did I miss some sarcasm (again) in the travelers post?

I'm looking at that little minus (-) sign in front of the free sodas and thinking he means Long Distance Coach= NEC business class minus the free sodas. Or did I miss some sarcasm (again) in the travelers post?
The traveler is ever, as always, evervescent!

I'd spring for the roomette. On time performance is pretty spotty, and coach and the lounge car can and do fill up. With meals you'll almost break even, and since the fare with accommodations is at the low bucket, sometimes it's even cheaper than coach.

I'd spring for the roomette. On time performance is pretty spotty, and coach and the lounge car can and do fill up. With meals you'll almost break even, and since the fare with accommodations is at the low bucket, sometimes it's even cheaper than coach.
I agree. Go for the roomette both ways if available. You will get breakfast & lunch free on your first train, on the return just dinner. This will include beverages (non alcoholic) & desserts. Plus, in the sleepers you will have coffee, juice, bottled water all free. They might even bring you a champagne or sparkling cider split! They will also give you coffee in the PPC if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back