Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I love trains. I've mostly traveled the SWC (since I still must work for a living on most days.)

I have the opportunity to add the Coast Starlight from LAX to SJC.

What can you tell me about this day trip? I've read here and there about wine tastings, but have little hard info. (Times, $$, days, etc.) Is it worth a sleeper for the day trip (aside from meals)?

Is it worth coach to see out both sides? Or which side has the view in the sleepers? Which compartment numbers do I want? All advice from you nice folks is appreciated. Thank you.

I notice this is your first post. Welcome to the forum!

I've taken the CS in coach several times from Chico to Santa Barbara. I bring a cooler with snacks, but usually spring for one meal in the diner.

There is a new level of service that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet - business class. It includes 2 free bottles of water, a $6.00 food voucher you can use in the diner or at the snack bar, and access to the Parlour Car for the wine and cheese tasting (I think it would cost you $7). That might be a nice compromise between regular coach and a sleeper.

It's a beautiful route, and you'll love it. Try to get a seat on the left side of the train going north for fabulous views of the ocean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Views of the ocean will naturally be on the west side of the train. But there's also other stuff to see on the east side of the train. Get a preview of the sights on both sides of the track by following along the route from above using the aerial/satellite imagery of Google Earth or Google Maps. That way you can decide what you want to see based on your interests - and not someone else's.

Personally, I find the value of a roomette, because you have access to the PPC, and you get a couple of meals heading north, acceptable to me. I just LOVE the PPC, it's the "last good thing Amtrak LD does............."

The wine and cheese tasting in the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC) used to be free for sleeper passengers...no longer so! The cheese "platter" you purchase is actually available in the Sightseer Lounge Cafe. If you book a roomette (or bedroom) you will get lunch and probably dinner as part of your fare and use of the PPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wine and cheese tasting in the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC) used to be free for sleeper passengers...no longer so! The cheese "platter" you purchase is actually available in the Sightseer Lounge Cafe. If you book a roomette (or bedroom) you will get lunch and probably dinner as part of your fare and use of the PPC.
The Cheese and Cracker Plate is available on all long distance trains and for the money isn't that bad. I'll often pour an evening drink, crack open a Cheese Plate and finish out the train day relaxing.

This is part of a bucket list trip for us in May,,, we are going from LAC to SAC and I got a sleeper specifically for the PPC. That is after we take the SWC and stop at Grand Canyon and before we rent a car for three days in Yosemite.... then back on the CZ to GBB .... I have driven the coast highway ,, now I get to do it in hands free mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back