Coffee machine working in Viewliner sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Last weekend I was on the Lake Shore Limited and was surprised to see that the coffeemaker in the sleeper actually worked. I'm no expert of Viewliners, having only been on them half a dozen times, but this was a first for me. Every other time that I can recall the coffeemaker was out of action. Was I lucky, is this an effect of stimulus spending, or what?

From what I understand, coffee machines on the Viewliners were a problem, but replacements are being installed in the fleet as they go through regular maintenance.

Last weekend I was on the Lake Shore Limited and was surprised to see that the coffeemaker in the sleeper actually worked.
What time of day was this? There's supposed to be hot coffee available for sleeper passengers in the mornings, and I've found that the case on the two runs we did on the SL. I do remember getting hot coffee on the Crescent when we traveled to MA in the early 90's, and it was actually delivered by the SCA! On the SL I had to get it myself. However, I did find that there was NO coffee in the afternoons. You can request coffee in the diner with your dessert at dinner.

I don't know why they don't want to make coffee in the afternoons. Could be that not enough people want to drink it that late, thinking it will keep them awake.

The coffeemakers have always been an issue on the Viewliners, but AFAIK if the coffeemaker is ever down you should be able to get a gratis cup from the Diner or Lounge if you tell then what's up...

I have seen refurbished superliner cars with a new, working, coffee machine but on viewliners no. Not unless the car attendant was kind enough to bring a coffee pot. One even baked us cookies.

Last weekend I was on the Lake Shore Limited and was surprised to see that the coffeemaker in the sleeper actually worked.
What time of day was this? There's supposed to be hot coffee available for sleeper passengers in the mornings, and I've found that the case on the two runs we did on the SL. I do remember getting hot coffee on the Crescent when we traveled to MA in the early 90's, and it was actually delivered by the SCA! On the SL I had to get it myself. However, I did find that there was NO coffee in the afternoons. You can request coffee in the diner with your dessert at dinner.

I don't know why they don't want to make coffee in the afternoons. Could be that not enough people want to drink it that late, thinking it will keep them awake.
I drink coffee all the time up until 9 pm, I really get irritated on the viewliners when I have to go to lounge and ask for a cup of coffee, Almost as irritated as the Lounge Attendandant who has to get up, heaven forbid, from her "break" to get me a cup. I would be happy to get it myself. I don't recall the amenities of sleeper pax. stating "hot coffee until 2 pm. If I go to get a cup of coffee after 7pm on a superliner and the urn is empty, I can deal with that. I guess I am one of those guys that need a reality check when it comes to expectations of service :blink:

On the Silver Star about a week ago one sleeper had the automatic coffee machine which was working 9110, the other sleeper had a normal coffee pot that was not plugged in and turned on with no coffee made. I believe the SCA was lazy on this one that was car 9111.

Ironically, Ran into JIS on the train who was headed to Key West while I was headed to WPB. Great guy.. Looked at him in Jax and said, "Are you a member of AU." He looked familiar from National train day at WAS. He had roomette 1 and I was in 7. so just down the hallway.

On the Silver Star about a week ago one sleeper had the automatic coffee machine which was working 9110, the other sleeper had a normal coffee pot that was not plugged in and turned on with no coffee made. I believe the SCA was lazy on this one that was car 9111.

Ironically, Ran into JIS on the train who was headed to Key West while I was headed to WPB. Great guy.. Looked at him in Jax and said, "Are you a member of AU." He looked familiar from National train day at WAS. He had roomette 1 and I was in 7. so just down the hallway.
Us AU members are everywhere! You never know! :lol:

I ride the Viewliners about once a month and I think I've seen oly one of the older models (which took the place of the original model)functional in the last year and a half. Standard answer is "Head to the diner." Glad Amtrak realized they didn't work~ only question I have is if they were at 60 Massachusetts Ave. would it take over a year to identify and fix same ??? :help: :help: :help:

The coffeemakers have always been an issue on the Viewliners, but AFAIK if the coffeemaker is ever down you should be able to get a gratis cup from the Diner or Lounge if you tell then what's up...
Actually the only issue with the original metal pot coffee makers on the Viewliners was that certain attendants refused to make coffee as that meant extra work for them. When Amtrak switched to the push button automatics, that's when the problems started as those machines just didn't hold up.

To be honest, I find most of the coffee in those Viewliners to be not that great. I take a large insulated cup with me on trips and a bunch of those single coffee brew bags (they look like tea bags) with me on all trips. All I need is hot water and it makes a better cup of coffee than the real old stuff I find onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back