Columbus-Denver loophole

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBuddha

Service Attendant
Hi, I'm new here and I thought I'd make my introduction with this loophole!

Haven't seen this one in the forum before, but it's the longest 1 zone loophole I've found. And it gives those of us who can't easily board at Slidell, LA another option (plus I live ~30 min from CBS :D ) :

CBS-DEN

27 Empire Builder Columbus, WI (CBS) to Portland, OR (PDX) 43h 5m

11 Coast Starlight Portland, OR (PDX) to Sacramento, CA (SAC) 15h 50m

6 California Zephyr Sacramento, CA (SAC) to Denver, CO (DEN) 31h 29m

That's 4 nights on the train for a one way trip! For round trip, spend one night (or two for kicks) in Denver, and catch the westbound Zephyr at 8:05 AM. 8 nights on the train!!! Heaven.

Welcome! :)

I like that! :D Too bad I have to start next month from PDX! :( Otherwise, I'd do it! :p

Funny thing about my routing choices is starting in PDX, you are offered a choice of the CS (to SAC) and the CZ (to CHI) - but the ONLY connection that you can book is to the Cardinal! That's an ~2 hour connection and because the Cardinal only operates 3 days a week, you must start a day later! However, if you want to BUY a separate ticket PDX-SAC, from SAC you can book the CZ to CHI and then the CL (about a 4 hour connection) to WAS to connect to the Crescent! And you can leave on the original day from PDX! :blink:

So it doesn't make sense that you can book the CL connection from SAC but not from PDX (or CMO or KFS) - even though you have to go thru SAC. (I've verified this with an agent - it can't be done!)

I like that! :D Too bad I have to start next month from PDX! :( Otherwise, I'd do it! :p

Funny thing about my routing choices is starting in PDX, you are offered a choice of the CS (to SAC) and the CZ (to CHI) - but the ONLY connection that you can book is to the Cardinal! That's an ~2 hour connection and because the Cardinal only operates 3 days a week, you must start a day later! However, if you want to BUY a separate ticket PDX-SAC, from SAC you can book the CZ to CHI and then the CL (about a 4 hour connection) to WAS to connect to the Crescent! And you can leave on the original day from PDX! :blink:

So it doesn't make sense that you can book the CL connection from SAC but not from PDX (or CMO or KFS) - even though you have to go thru SAC. (I've verified this with an agent - it can't be done!)
Hmm.. are you sure? I plug in PDX to WAS on Aug 3, for example, which puts the Zephyr into CHI on a Thursday (a Cardinal day), and it gives me the option to take the Capitol. Am I missing something?

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm.. are you sure? I plug in PDX to WAS on Aug 3, for example, which puts the Zephyr into CHI on a Thursday (a Cardinal day), and it gives me the option to take the Capitol. Am I missing something?

Rafi

Maybe it was sold out? That train can sell out pretty quickly (since it's so short)

cpamtfan-Peter

It's not just PDX-WAS, it's PDX-BHM or PDX-SDL! (Or CMO or KFS to BHM or SDL!) If you check 8/21, it says "... (try) this alternative" - and it gives leaving PDX or CMO or KFS on 8/22, arriving in SAC on 8/23, then connecting in CHI to the Cardinal to CVS to connect to the Crescent. But if you but a ticket on the CS on 8/21 and arrive in SAC in 8/22, if you put in SAC to BHM or SDL on 8/22, you are routed on the CZ and CL to WAS to connect to the Crescent! :blink:

So you can't leave from OR on a 2 zone award on 8/21 but you can leave from SAC on a 2 zone award on 8/22! It doesn't make sense! :rolleyes:

Hi, I'm new here and I thought I'd make my introduction with this loophole!
Haven't seen this one in the forum before, but it's the longest 1 zone loophole I've found. And it gives those of us who can't easily board at Slidell, LA another option (plus I live ~30 min from CBS :D ) :

CBS-DEN

27 Empire Builder Columbus, WI (CBS) to Portland, OR (PDX) 43h 5m

11 Coast Starlight Portland, OR (PDX) to Sacramento, CA (SAC) 15h 50m

6 California Zephyr Sacramento, CA (SAC) to Denver, CO (DEN) 31h 29m

That's 4 nights on the train for a one way trip! For round trip, spend one night (or two for kicks) in Denver, and catch the westbound Zephyr at 8:05 AM. 8 nights on the train!!! Heaven.
Are there loop holes I can use from where I live in VA. I see all these loopholes but nothing I can use. :)

Are there loop holes I can use from where I live in VA. I see all these loopholes but nothing I can use. :)
No, there are not! :(

The reason these loopholes work is that due to the route of the Crescent, and with the zone border in Atlanta, all stations west of ATL must go either thru NOL (with an overnight stay on your dime :( ) or thru either WAS or CVS to go west - even within the midwest zone! :) And the reason the above loophole would work is because the easbound EB is scheduled to arrive after the westbound trains depart from CHI!

No, there are not! :(
Only partially true: a coach ticket to ATL or BHM shouldn't be (with advanced planning) prohibitively expensive from VA. That'll get you to the border of the Midwest zone. So hop on the train, head south a bit, and then start your adventure there! (Yeah, you'll do a little backtracking, but hey--that's just more train riding!)

And if you want to take advantage of the loophole mentioned in this thread, then book a one-zone award from SDL to DEN and then another one-zone award from DEN to CBS! That's one giant S curve across the country!

You can go to Chicago for a one zone award by booking from VA to Port Huron and then getting off on the first stop of the Blue Water.

WHO KNEW that you could do that MSP to DEN? I went and asked for a routing at Amtrak.com and the only routing they give you MSP to DEN is via PDX and SAC.

You could really do that on a one zone award? That might have to happen for SURE!

I edited out many exclamations of DANG! :eek:

You can go to Chicago for a one zone award by booking from VA to Port Huron and then getting off on the first stop of the Blue Water.
Also you can use the Slidell loophole going eastbound. Just book from wherever to Atlanta and get off at Charlottesville and get a ride home. All tickets are collected. You could even get off at Alexandria and buy a coach train ticket home if you want to do it that way.

you know you can do Omaha, Ne to Columbus, Wi. That is 5 nights, 6 days on the train for a 1 zone. I haven't been able to find a longer one than that. That is 100.45 hours on the train! I'm going to try to do this trip in the fall, but I live on the east coast, so that won't be easy.

you know you can do Omaha, Ne to Columbus, Wi. That is 5 nights, 6 days on the train for a 1 zone. I haven't been able to find a longer one than that. That is 100.45 hours on the train! I'm going to try to do this trip in the fall, but I live on the east coast, so that won't be easy.
Wow! It's true, nice pick-up. But I can only get the routing if I go Omaha, NE-->Columbus, WI. If you start in Columbus, you don't get the reverse routing. Strange. :huh:

This is almost better than the Slidell Loophole but I wonder if you want to go ahead and take it on into Chicago if any flags will raise when you buy a ticket (Sleeper) for the Columbus to CUS segment? I know picking up a NOL to SDL Coach usually doesn't raise suspicion, but I wonder about ticketing on the back end?

This is almost better than the Slidell Loophole but I wonder if you want to go ahead and take it on into Chicago if any flags will raise when you buy a ticket (Sleeper) for the Columbus to CUS segment? I know picking up a NOL to SDL Coach usually doesn't raise suspicion, but I wonder about ticketing on the back end?
You certainly get more train time and for only a 1 zone price! :cool:

Funny thing is, the two endpoints are only about 500 miles apart and like an 8 hour drive. . .

When I try Columbus to Chicago in sleeper, I get $31 coach fare and $149 roomette. Since you won't get any meals if the train is on schedule, one has to wonder whether staying in your Sleeper and not having to move to Coach for a few hours is worth $149. Unless you'd want to burn another zone award, which defeats the purpose of the loophole.

I still can't figure out :huh: why the system won't book the reverse loophole from Columbus to Omaha, but it will book to Denver.

You certainly get more train time and for only a 1 zone price! :cool:
When I try Columbus to Chicago in sleeper, I get $31 coach fare and $149 roomette. Since you won't get any meals if the train is on schedule, one has to wonder whether staying in your Sleeper and not having to move to Coach for a few hours is worth $149. Unless you'd want to burn another zone award, which defeats the purpose of the loophole.
Good point, especially if you can leave your bags downstairs in the Sleeper when you move to Coach/Lounge and round them up at CUS. A couple days in Chicago, and then a quick Coach ride back to OMA on the CZ would finish the Loophole and add a few points back into the account.

I wonder if you want to go ahead and take it on into Chicago if any flags will raise when you buy a ticket (Sleeper) for the Columbus to CUS segment? I know picking up a NOL to SDL Coach usually doesn't raise suspicion, but I wonder about ticketing on the back end?
I don't know if I just got lucky :D , but this year I had a PDX-BHM award. I called AGR and said I wanted to change the endpoint from BHM to NOL (staying on the Crescent)! The agent said "No problem!" and changed it - with no increase in points! :D On the same trip, instead of connecting at SAC between the CS and CZ, I bought a coach ticket for SAC-MTZ-SAC. With the approval of the Conductors, I was allowed to stay in my sleeper to and from MTZ! :cool:

Perhaps they may do the same with a coach ticket from CBS?

I just attempted to book the Columbus to Denver reward and was told it was a 3-zone award- on what grounds I do not know, as far as I can figure it it can only be a two zone reward no matter how you slice it! But anyway, that's what the claimed. I didn't push them on the issue, and perhaps if I found a different agent I'd get a different answer. But I do know I need to buy a few points to pull this one off, so if anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated. :p

I just attempted to book the Columbus to Denver reward and was told it was a 3-zone award- on what grounds I do not know, as far as I can figure it it can only be a two zone reward no matter how you slice it! But anyway, that's what the claimed. I didn't push them on the issue, and perhaps if I found a different agent I'd get a different answer. But I do know I need to buy a few points to pull this one off, so if anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated. :p
PM the expert, the traveler!!! :lol: Im sure if you talk with a different agent (or 5 :lol: )you might get different

info/results!I want to use this one too so will be keeping track,Im sure one of our AGR gurus will have

info if the traveler has disappeared into the twilight zone on PDXs metro system!!! :lol: :lol:

Did you mistype? I'd argue that Columbus, WI to Denver was a one-zone award, since both cities are in the central zone. I can see the claim that it's a 2-zone reward (since you are traveling for a couple of days in the western zone), but a 3-zone reward? That's a remarkable thing for an agent to claim.

In any case, I think you did the right thing to not push. I've had to call back to get the reward I want at the price I want. Just keep positive, talk with a smile on your face, and eventually you'll get what you want.

Back