Comfort Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
Hi All. My wife and I are getting really excited (in a good way) about our CZ trip from Chicago to San Francisco, just 3 weeks from yesterday. A couple of comfort questions:

1. Is the California Zephyr Air Conditioned?

2. If so, does the AC work when the train is stopped?

3. Has anyone had experiences where the AC wasn't functioning properly?

4. Does it ever get overly cold in parts of the train?

We're trying to pack light, but at the same time want to be prepared for the climate.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi All. My wife and I are getting really excited (in a good way) about our CZ trip from Chicago to San Francisco, just 3 weeks from yesterday. A couple of comfort questions:

We're trying to pack light, but at the same time want to be prepared for the climate.

1. YES the train is air conditioned.

2. YES the AC works when the trai is stopped (that is stopped in a station) The AC will not work if the locomotives are uncoupled from the train, as it receives its power from a generator in the locomotive.

3. YES I have experienced AC failure on the CZ when a locomotive failed in Denver. Fortunately, it was not in the middle of summer & we remained fairly comfortable.

4. YES it can get overly cold in some parts of the train. Bring a sweater, or light blanket, even if you are in a sleeper.

5. Have a GREAT trip!

If you are in a sleeper, you have some control over the A/C and, as has been mentioned, all power to the cars is provided by the locomotives, unless parked and plugged in.

If you are in coach, you are at the mercy of whatever temp is set for the car. Amtrak furnishes nothing except a very small pillow. BYO blanket, pillow (inflatables work well) and maybe a jacket/sweater; dress in layers.

And keep those jackets/sweaters handy; you will be needing them in San Francisco too, even in August.

Have a great trip. :D

Thanks Rusty and EMDF9A. Just added sweater and blanket to the list of things to take on the train with us. Thanks also for the good wishes. We intend to have a ball!

1. It is, I just wanted to add that the CZ has been air-conditioned ever since it first ran in 1949. Not much other countries had as many AC trains as the US back then.

2. Yes it does, because when the train is stopped, the engine keeps on running, just not moving.

3. It can be a big problem if you are in the Southwest desert with no AC in summer and the windows can't open.
help.gif

4. Yes, but as others have said, you can change the temperature in your Sleeper room if you booked one.

Just wanted to add some stuff to what others have said.
smile.gif

As I understand it, the temp control on the sleepers only works with the heat and does not effect the A/C. You can control the temp by closing the vent.

In sleeper, I have found most are too warm at night. I bought a small battery operated fan that helps me a lot.

The sleeper cars can sometimes be really drafty on the CZ and other trains. I have learned to either have long pants or skirt on or have a light blanket handy. Enjoy your trip!

As I understand it, the temp control on the sleepers only works with the heat and does not effect the A/C. You can control the temp by closing the vent.

In sleeper, I have found most are too warm at night. I bought a small battery operated fan that helps me a lot.
Yes printman,

The air conditioning in the sleeper rooms is not temperature controlled but it is regulated by a control lever on the vent. I have found that if you leave the vent open when retiring the room will be too cold and if you close the airflow the room becomes stuffy and warm.

Thanks for the additional info. Interesting note about the AC on the Zephyr!

1. It is, I just wanted to add that the CZ has been air-conditioned ever since it first ran in 1949. Not much other countries had as many AC trains as the US back then.

2. Yes it does, because when the train is stopped, the engine keeps on running, just not moving.

3. It can be a big problem if you are in the Southwest desert with no AC in summer and the windows can't open.
help.gif

4. Yes, but as others have said, you can change the temperature in your Sleeper room if you booked one.

Just wanted to add some stuff to what others have said.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the CZ 3 years ago in the bedroom sleeper when the A/C quit working. Meanwhile, the A/C in the rommettes was working. Strange. They did stop the train at the next station and fix the problem though.

In my experience, the vent's control lever is often broken and the vent stuck in the open position. On more than one trip, I've either stuffed towels into the vent or taped it over. During one trip, I applied gaffer's tape not only to the vent in my roomette, but to vents in one other roomette and the family room. I also loaned my roll of tape to the conductor, who apparently used it to fix a door somewhere.

Gaffer's tape: Don't leave home without it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back