Community showers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my recent trip on the SWC from Chicago to LA where I and my travel partners were downgraded to coach after our California Zephyr was cancelled, I had fresh clothes daily and was able to wash up without any problem. Drying off was another matter, as it was very short notice that we were rerouted and didn't have towels with us. Extra deodorant, along with taking more time brushing my teeth and using mouthwash didn't hurt either. Other than the guy who at first sat next to me then (thankfully) moved, who reeked to begin with and who didn't change clothes the entire trip, I didn't notice any unclean passengers amongst the coach car I was in.

Two things, one, as I have mentioned before I took quite a few Chattanooga to San Francisco trips in my younger years in coach. That is three nights with a change in Chicago.

I have no memory whatsoever about being in a panic to take a shower as soon as I arrived at either end. I also took short trips from Chattanooga to Dallas, 24 hours with a change in Memphis. These travels were in the 60s.

Two things: one, one does not get very dirty on the train so if you are clean before you board you should be a lot cleaner after that much time on the train, than if you were at home, going to work or school everyday.

Second, do not forget about smoking. People smoked all over the lounges and sleeping car rooms. The coach seats had ashtrays also. If smoking was prohibited anywhere, it might have been in the diner,and that in later years.

SO.........with no shower plus smoking being much more fashionable back then......we must have just gotten used to it. Oh BTW remember trains used to not be air conditioned so the soot would fly into the windows.

Now, I want to try to give a very careful list about the trains which had showers in the preAmtrak era.

1. 20th Century Limited had showers in two rooms in the 1938 version. But in the 1948 version it only had one shower off from the barbershop in the midtrain lounge.

2.The Super Chief had had a shower but lost in it in the 1950 reequipping.

3. The Broadway Limited had a shower in a master room in the lounge car.Only for passengers in that room.

4. The Crescent had a shower in a master room in the mid train lounge. The Crescent, when first requipped as a streamliner in 1950 was all sleeper from New York to Atlanta. The shower was only for the occupants of that one room.

5. The California Zephyr had a drawing room with a shower.Only for the occupants of that room.

6. the Southern Pacific's Sunset Limited had one shower in the lounge car for sleeping car passengers.

7. The Union Pacific and Southern Pacific City of San Francisco had one shower in the lounge car for sleeping car passengers.

If any body knows of any more showers say from about 1948 on let us know. A larger number of trains in the heavyweght era had them but that is too vast and too far back for me to keep track of.

Bill: The Mopac Eagle I rode from SMC-STL when I joined the service in 1961 had a Shower that those of us in the Sleeping Car were able to use! I had a roomette in the Sleeper just behind the Dome Car, but cant remember just where the shower was located, seems like it was on the end of the car towards the back?? I never went anywhere else except my Sleeper, the Dome/Lounge and the Diner! ^_^

My understanding is that this equipment was Sold to NdeM in Mexico and run on the Aztec Eagle until it ceased operations when Mexico privatized it's passenger Trains in the early 90s! I know I rode in similar equipment in 1968 from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico City, a bedroom with Meals, the total fare was $28!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill: The Mopac Eagle I rode from SMC-STL when I joined the service in 1961 had a Shower that those of us in the Sleeping Car were able to use! I had a roomette in the Sleeper just behind the Dome Car, but cant remember just where the shower was located, seems like it was on the end of the car towards the back?? I never went anywhere else except my Sleeper, the Dome/Lounge and the Diner! ^_^

My understanding is that this equipment was Sold to NdeM in Mexico and run on the Aztec Eagle until it ceased operations when Mexico privatized it's passenger Trains in the early 90s! I know I rode in similar equipment in 1968 from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico City, a bedroom with Meals, the total fare was $28!!!!!!!!! :wub:
Jim, we may have even been on the same train!! That was roughly the time my sister lived in Texas. I never noticed the shower and they did not advertise it. Of course I was in coach.

I carry Dove "body wipes" when I travel and sometimes use them for quick freshening up at home. They can be found in the travel section of stores. I have seen other brands as well. Also adult wipes (Sam's has some I like) are good as they are large size. I keep at least two baby wash cloths in separate zip lock snack size bags - one for the face, one for the body and another bag with a small super absorbant towel. There are many brands of facial wipes i.e. makeup removers as well.
Good ideas. We always bring washcloths, small bars of soap, and small hand towels in Ziplocs.

On some of the older Superliner coaches there was a dressing room/ bath combo which was good for washing up. It had a vanity and a small sofa.

Didn't see one on the newer Superliner. Are they a thing of the past?

On some of the older Superliner coaches there was a dressing room/ bath combo which was good for washing up. It had a vanity and a small sofa.

Didn't see one on the newer Superliner. Are they a thing of the past?
Yeah,most are Long gone just like real Lounges/Domes, Slumbercoaches and Real/Cooked to Order Food!! :( I do remember using these on the Eagle back in the day, sure was handy for cleaning up/changing clothes! I like the Large Handicap Accesible Bathroom they have on some of the Superliner Coaches, but havent figured out why some of the Large Changing Rooms/Bathrooms are marked "Women" and some are UniSex??? :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
>>>Either most passengers stunk to holy hell back then, used strong perfume, or they did a good job of washing up at the sink in the rest room. I believe that towels were available so this must be how it was done but wearing the same underwear and socks for three days------yuuuuccch! It must have been a terribly unsanitary environment and unhealthy experience. The onboard crew didn't even have a shower and must have been sweat soaked by the end of the trip.<<<

Like those folks probably did, I bring extra underwear and T-shirts and wash-up items in a small knapsack. Not too difficult. Oh yeah - and one nice towel.

I prefer roomettes with shower room, but can't afford it all the time.
If you make the effort; its possible to be clean in any environment with soap, a towel,running water and clean clothing. If you read beyond my sarcasm, the real substance of the point is that showers were not available to coach passengers on the old trains and it appears to be the same today. Many LD trains back then had a barber shop and I believe that there was a shower available there. I assume that like the haircut, there was a charge to use it and it may have been open to all. I would guess that only the cross country travlers used it.

I've taken four trips in coach on the SWC, I managed to stay fairly clean. Extra deodorant and some clean clothes and you're good to go. I met a lady on my first trip who was travelling from Pennsylvania? all the way to LA, she washed her hair in the sink that day (as she had already been on the train for like 2 days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back