Community showers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget, a sleeper has a maximum occupancy of 34 passengers - and 12 of those passengers also have a shower in their room.
Are you talking about a Superliner? If you are, then your numbers are wrong.
OK. Transpositional error, should be 43 passengers. And the 12 comes from Bedroom A-E (10 passengers) and the H-room (2 passengers) have an in-room shower.

Don't forget, a sleeper has a maximum occupancy of 34 passengers - and 12 of those passengers also have a shower in their room.
OK. Transpositional error, should be 43 passengers. And the 12 comes from Bedroom A-E (10 passengers) and the H-room (2 passengers) have an in-room shower.
44, plus any exceptions there may be allowed by Amtrak (3 people in a Superliner Bedroom).

Room H has an in-room shower? I haven't seen this.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I usually wash up as best I can in the big "dressing room" which gives you a decent amount to room to move around. On one trip though, I went down there and found a large "WOMEN ONLY" written in black marker on the door! Is this a standard practice, or was this just the work of a mischievous woman?

While I'm sure there are some that will swear that I'm wrong, but from previously working at Amtrak and having access to booking data, I can tell you that the vast majority of coach passengers don't spend several nights on the train.

I just don't think that there would be enough passengers willing to use this type of business to make it cost effective or make a profit at price that would be attractive to customers.

Even if you think every coach passenger wants this service, how would a facility quickly and effectively service the hundreds of coach passengers arriving on every long distance train into a station? This type of business would have to have numerous showers that would end up being empty most of the day.
Not in Major Stations such as CHI/LAX/NYP/WAS where so many LD Train originate/terminate/connect! Most Public Bathrooms in Stations are in poor shape even if they are cleaned occasionally! Id suggest a nomianl charge such as $5 for access to a clean/safe shower for ticketed pax would at least pay for itself in these stations!(similar to access to the CAs and MLs except it would cost to enter with a ticket/stub!)
This is pretty much how it works at major stations in several European countries - most pronounced in the elaborate, spotlessly clean "Bathroom centers" in Germany. The bathrooms are staffed, theres a small fee (usually 50 cent) to use the toilets and a larger but still affordable one for the showers. The bathrooms are open to everyone, but the fee and the staffing keep them pleasurable.

I have no idea if the operation pays for itself.

By the way, the master suites existed only on PRR's Broadway Limited and Southern's Crescent Limited. No other train, including all the western trains, had showers. Somehow, people survived.
Well said, "somehow we survived". I took several cross country coach trips. Lack of sleep much bigger concern than lack of showers.

And if you were in a sleeper you could strip down and do some washing, just no running water.

After all, if you bathe before the trip begins you are not going to accumulate much "new" dirt.

In addition to the Broadway Limited and the Crescent there was a shower in the sleeping car passenger's lounge car on two or three Southern Pacific trains. This included the Sunset Limited. These showers did not get much publicity but they were in the timetable.

So.....that brings the grand total to about five.

OH WAIT, I think the original CZ had one in a room they called a drawing room. Rather than calling it a master room. But keep in mind that plenty of trains had drawing rooms but none had showers except this one on the CZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, the master suites existed only on PRR's Broadway Limited and Southern's Crescent Limited. No other train, including all the western trains, had showers. Somehow, people survived.
Well said, "somehow we survived". I took several cross country coach trips. Lack of sleep much bigger concern than lack of showers.

And if you were in a sleeper you could strip down and do some washing, just no running water.

After all, if you bathe before the trip begins you are not going to accumulate much "new" dirt.

In addition to the Broadway Limited and the Crescent there was a shower in the sleeping car passenger's lounge car on two or three Southern Pacific trains. This included the Sunset Limited. These showers did not get much publicity but they were in the timetable.

So.....that brings the grand total to about five.

OH WAIT, I think the original CZ had one in a room they called a drawing room. Rather than calling it a master room. But keep in mind that plenty of trains had drawing rooms but none had showers except this one on the CZ.
:hi: Good info from the Master! As a kid I remember the Milk and Mail Trains on the SP that were pulled by Steamers and had no AC, hence the windows were open in the summer and as folks in the South know it could get really uncomfortable with the heat and humidity not to mention the smoke and dust that blew in the windows! :help:

Glad I never had to ride any farther on these Trains than an overnight, I can imagine what it was like to go across the country in Coach when regular folks couldnt afford sleepers and hotels while traveling! :eek: I never got to see the showers in CHI @ Union Station except in pictures, I know that people traveling Coast to Coast thru CHI changed Trains but there were several stations so I'm not sure if they all had these showers or just Union Station?

This said, when I was in the Navy I rode a Greyhound from LAX-NYC, 5 days/4 nights, now that was truely NOT the way to travel! :( (couldnt afford a Plane or Train, cheap price for servicemen!)

I've never ridden overnight in coach ( I don't count getting on at 2AM in Spokane as being overnight :p ) and I wouldn't miss a shower. I would have to wash my hair, though, as it gets very oily if I don't. Should I ever have to ride overnight in coach, though, I know I could find a way around that. (And not by wearing a hat 24/7 either!!)

Glad I never had to ride any farther on these Trains than an overnight, I can imagine what it was like to go across the country in Coach when regular folks couldnt afford sleepers and hotels while traveling! :eek:
Take an outdoor shower under one of the steam loco's water towers? :cool:
What if they picked up water on the fly from a track pan?

A track pan bath might be hazardous to your health!!!

(now you really know that I'm an oldtimer)

:help: :wacko: :giggle:

Survived? Sure. Enjoyable experience with alternative form if travel available? Hmmm...

We are spoiled. And by "we", I mean middle class society.

Like it or not, evolved or devolved, we live in a world and society where we are fatter and carry more body odor than many before us.

We live in a society where a hair on our plate is grounds for a free meal.

We are bigger, smellier and people don't tolerate it as much. Also in the past, they had...well...showers available in stations. If not showers, there were many more rail stations with hotels attached.

If you just need a shower, you could always join the YMCA. If you do, I think this entitles you can to a free shower at any other YMCA. It's like $40 a month, but for a long distance train trip, it might be worth it. From what I understand, you can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal, you can do whatever you feel...

Baby wipes can be your friend... :lol: One of our grandsons main request for care packages during his deployment's to Iraq was baby wipes and lot's of them. We sent a care package once a month and made sure there were plenty of them included. He said they were lucky to even see a shower once a week at times.

44, plus any exceptions there may be allowed by Amtrak (3 people in a Superliner Bedroom).

Room H has an in-room shower? I haven't seen this.
George,

You are correct, there is no shower in the H room on the Superliners.

The Viewliners do have showers in room, but not the Superliners that the_traveler was referring too.

Baby wipes can be your friend... :lol:
Love baby wipes... they are for more than babies! Even with AC in hot sweaty FLA, they make for a quick cool down around the neck!

For rail coaching, camping, boondocking, etc., another in-between-showers aid is a product called NO RINSE: a body cleanser liquid that doesn't have to be rinsed off. They also have a No Rinse hair-cleansing product either in liquid plastic bottle, & also in a ready-made "shower cap" which you would put on your head & massage (like shampooing), No Rinsing required.

Rite-Aid online & camping supplies places carry it.

~~~~~

I see the train rooms showers are sometimes a toilet/shower combo, like in some older RVs. I've also read they call them Shoilets. :)

You may also be able to add an on-board upgrade to Roomette. Depends on your ticket, where your destination is on the ticket, and of course, what rooms are still unsold. But in those cases - you only pay for the portion of the remaining trip, and it is generally at a reasonable rate.

The idea is to get passengers to upgrade - provides a little additional revenue to Amtrak, when there are available rooms/roomettes. And any room or roomette will include use of the shower and meals in the diner.

In December we were on the Cardinal and they sent several families up to our sleeper to check it out. The crew was actively trying to sell the rooms/roomettes. I had never noticed it like this particular time. They also made some announcements to the train regarding upgrades, when I went out to the cafe/lounge - several passengers were talking about possibly doing it - but I could tell that they were reluctant to spend the money. Just seemed funny to overhear them. I think most were not going all the way to Chicago, and figured they would survive their short night in coach,

In 1982 I rode round trip Amtrak coach San Diego - Pittsburgh. The train from L.A. to Chicago had a lower lever with rest rooms downstairs.

At least one of those was a combination rest room - shower. I used it just before we got to Chicago.

The room was adequate size but not spacious. I'm a big guy at 6' 2' and at that time weighed about 200#.

There was enough space that I didn't feel cramped.

Do any Amtrak routes have community showers for coach passengers? I've never seen any, but they would be very welcome if they did exist. I'm planning a 5,000 mile trip in coach so I'm trying to strategically plan for personal hygiene in advance!
Nope, they don't and it's one a few reasons the cross-country Amtrak trip I was considering has been scrapped.

I don't get it. Airlines have showers for a fee in their airport lounges. As someone has mentioned European train stations have them. I know Asian airports have places where you can shower too. It's really just gross that if you're in coach either because rooms or sold out or that you're trying to be frugal, that you're doomed to have a stinky trip unless you get creative.

you're doomed to have a stinky trip unless you get creative.
I'm guessing that this is easier for guys, although that sounds sexist, washing up and shaving in a rest room on board a train, or in a station.

I have washed and shaved - and seen other men do the same - in a Greyhound or Amtrak station mens room where there are multiple sinks.

Although not perfect, it does help make one more presentable upon arrival.

For my December trip, I already plan to shave and freshen up in LAX. Coming home, I'll just wait. But then my trip is an overnighter.

Am I the only one who thinks that showers in most of our bigger train stations would be used more by non-passengers than by passengers? Just like the bathrooms in NY Penn Station, etc.? :eek:
Agreed!! After spending 8 days in New York City, the S+ AGR card with free access to Club Acela in NYP became my best friend. A clean bathroom, free pretzels, and soda in mid-town Manhattan!

Do any Amtrak routes have community showers for coach passengers? I've never seen any, but they would be very welcome if they did exist. I'm planning a 5,000 mile trip in coach so I'm trying to strategically plan for personal hygiene in advance!
Nope, they don't and it's one a few reasons the cross-country Amtrak trip I was considering has been scrapped.

I don't get it. Airlines have showers for a fee in their airport lounges. As someone has mentioned European train stations have them. I know Asian airports have places where you can shower too. It's really just gross that if you're in coach either because rooms or sold out or that you're trying to be frugal, that you're doomed to have a stinky trip unless you get creative.
Perhaps there are some frequent flies that will correct me, I'm not one, but it seems to me that showers in airports are rather a newer thing. Especially showers that aren't located inside a first class club. I think that this is something that is just starting to evolve in the airline industry.

My guess is that it will probably catch on even more, and that in turn will see it spread to some of the major train stations.

Am I the only one who thinks that showers in most of our bigger train stations would be used more by non-passengers than by passengers? Just like the bathrooms in NY Penn Station, etc.? :eek:
Agreed!! After spending 8 days in New York City, the S+ AGR card with free access to Club Acela in NYP became my best friend. A clean bathroom, free pretzels, and soda in mid-town Manhattan!
I love the NYP Club Acela. For me it's like the NY Public Library, I come and go all the time in there, even if I'm not traveling on Amtrak. In fact, just yesterday I paid it a quick visit. And I arrived by subway and left by subway. Only thing that I did Amtrak related was pick up some tickets to mail to my brother.

I'm a newb, but as someone who has taken showers while traveling in the airport (United's first-class/mileage lounge in Miami after a cruise - it was a LONG night), Narita airport in Japan (can't remember why though as I'd come from a hotel, maybe it was a long night the night before too), and used the restroom in one in Paris train station (Gare du Nord), I think they would get business.

There are attendants in these facilities, so it's not like a NYC fast food joint where a homeless person goes in and comes out 30 minutes or two hours later.
ohmy.gif
I never hang around long enough to see when or how they're forced out. I just go somewhere else.

If my recollection is correct. With all of these shower facilities, except for United's, you've got a set amount of time to take care of your business, wash up and get out. However, even with United's you've got to get through security before you get there. Therefore, they know you've got a boarding pass and have somewhere to go. You're going going to be there for so long.

I carry Dove "body wipes" when I travel and sometimes use them for quick freshening up at home. They can be found in the travel section of stores. I have seen other brands as well. Also adult wipes (Sam's has some I like) are good as they are large size. I keep at least two baby wash cloths in separate zip lock snack size bags - one for the face, one for the body and another bag with a small super absorbant towel. There are many brands of facial wipes i.e. makeup removers as well.

The cross counry trains of yesteryear (i.e. Santa Fe Chief) had no showers for anyone except in the two first class suites and one in the mens barbershop. I can see an overnight trip without a shower but three days??????

Either most passengers stunk to holy hell back then, used strong perfume, or they did a good job of washing up at the sink in the rest room. I believe that towels were available so this must be how it was done but wearing the same underwear and socks for three days------yuuuuccch! It must have been a terribly unsanitary environment and unhealthy experience. The onboard crew didn't even have a shower and must have been sweat soaked by the end of the trip.

>>>Either most passengers stunk to holy hell back then, used strong perfume, or they did a good job of washing up at the sink in the rest room. I believe that towels were available so this must be how it was done but wearing the same underwear and socks for three days------yuuuuccch! It must have been a terribly unsanitary environment and unhealthy experience. The onboard crew didn't even have a shower and must have been sweat soaked by the end of the trip.<<<

Like those folks probably did, I bring extra underwear and T-shirts and wash-up items in a small knapsack. Not too difficult. Oh yeah - and one nice towel.

I prefer roomettes with shower room, but can't afford it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back