Congratulations EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
I noticed on another forum that the Empire Builder is soon to be 75 years old, its diamond anniversary. They say there will be celebrations in cities and towns along its route and that Mr. Gunn may ride part of the way.

It is a neat train, and one of the more on-time services. It lacks the glamour of the LA and SF destinations and the scenery is a bit less than that of the CZ, so it sort of gets overlooked sometimes.

But it has a glorious history. James R. Hill, an early railroad pioneer, was nicknamed "the empire builder" and thus the train was so-named.

Of course it was a heavyweight train when it was born in 1929, as that is all there was, but it was streamlined in the 40's, a couple of doses of streamlined equipment actually. I know some new domes were built for it in the early 50's.

Some years ago TRAINS Magazine had an excellent article on it called "The Clean Window Train", which was meant to suggest that"even" the windows, a tiny detail, are without fault.

One of the best sleeping car attendants I ever had was on the Portland to CHI portion of it on Amtrak.

The pre-Amtrak slower, seconday train on its route, the Western Star, received most of the Builders hand-me down equipment as the Builder would get re-equipped or partly re-equipped with new streamlined cars through the years, and thus it, the Western Star, was a respectable train as well.

SO much has been written recently on this forum about dining car conversations with strangers,etc. I have a story my own about the EB. I was seated one night with a father and daughter and they had nothing to say. They sat there in their own worlds,and we said nothing more important than "Please pass the salt". Kind of embarrasing, actually.They did not talk to each other, either.

Next morning, wouldn't you know, I was seated by them AGAIN--good God!! But this time they started talking instantly and none of us could stop---turned out all of us were dye-hard rail fans.

But the problem is, the wife/mother had died recently---she was to have been on the train with them---they were unsure whether to take the trip without her, etc, so they had many, many reasons to be sitting there in world of their own. By explaining their situation to me the next morning they clarified why they had seemed so glum the night before. It is not that they owed me an explanaiton but it sure did help.

Just goes to show you , you never know what somebody is going through through and why they are acting the way they are, including your table companions in the dining car.

Based on my recent trip I rate the Empire Builder #1 for on board service and attitude.

Thanks, Bill, for the short history of the EB. The Great Northern Railway ran the Empire Builder as a top-notch train, and IMHO, Amtrak has continued to keep the Builder top-notch. Of course, I'm partial as the Builder is my home town train, and I use it to get home when I can't or won't drive to North Dakota (driving long distance across the Northern Plains during the winter -- not a good idea ;) ).

I've posted this before, but here's a link to BNSF's website where they talk about the 75th aniversary of the Builder. Unfortunately, they were a year off on posting it, if the date of June 11, 1929 can be believed, but it's still a interesting little article. Personally, I wish Amtrak still had the fresh-caught rainbow trout in their diners. B)

(For those who don't know railroad history, the Great Northern Railway merged with several other railroads to become the Burlington Northern Railroad, and more recently merged with the Santa Fe Railway to become the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (BNSF).)

I, too, also had reason to take the Builder this past week. While it was not the "Super Luxury" train of decades gone by, the crew on 5/15 & 5/19 did a very good job. Happy 75th.

In 1947, the Empire Builder became the first long distance train since the end of the war to receive streamline cars. It's interesting, too, in that the SP&S section, in the early years, had a steam locomotive (like the #700) on the head end even with the streamlined equipment attached to it. The EB was originally outfitted with E7s, but they were replaced because they had a hard time coping with the mountainous grades (interstingly enough, the SP had similar problems in the Oregon Cascades with its E7s, changing to the PAs--anybody know why that was? E8s and 9s seemed to work all right for the UP in mountainous regions).

Seattle is an exciting city; it some ways it is more spectacular place to arrive than Chicago, LA, or some of the other cities. The scenery of Glacier National Park is as fine--if not finer--than on any railroad anywhere in the world (although westbound passengers don't get to see it during the winter months), and so is the mountain scenery of the Washington Cascades (surprisingly enough Amtrak doesn't promote this segment of the route as much as it use to, giving more attention to the Portland section through the Columbia Gorge). This routing allows the Builder to pass through the longest tunnel in the US (from 1929 to 1990, it was the longest tunnel in the Western Hemisphere)--the Cascade Tunnel (almost 8 miles long). Again, the scenery along the Skykomish River and past Index and other places is as grand as anywhere in the world. I also enjoy the 30-mile ride along the Puget Sound between Everett and Seattle. It's also a bit spectacular seeing the Space Needle from the train upon entry into Seattle just moments before passing through the tunnel (underneath downtown--another of my favorite parts of the route) and arriving at King Street Station. The ride on the Portland section through the Columbia Gorge is wonderful; it reminds me of pictures I have seen of the Rhine River area in Germany.

There is a lot about this train that is worth extolling. Patronage continues to be strong on it. I am glad we still have it with us. Another interesting twist: the GN version of the Builder bypassed Grand Forks and did not stop at either of the Glacier National Park stations. The Western Star served through stops. So, the present day Builder serves stops of both the "express" and "milk-run" trains. And of course, it uses the route of its competitor--the Milwaukee--between St. Paul and Chicago. And it uses the NP track between Sandpoint and Spokane and Spokane and Pasco (on the Portland section). Although, the NP and GN were longtime partners in transportation even before the BN merger in 1970.

Still, the Builder is a great train and a great route. here's a toast to it!!

I just arrived today in Houston on a "round the country" trip. We stopped at the Glacier Park Station just this week and I could tell they were getting ready for the big 75. Just missed it by a few days. It was interesting how the Great Northern built the Glacier Park depot and the Lodge back in 1912 in which I stayed for two nights on it's first opening of the season. Watch for my trip report in that section!

Chris

I know this is somewhat off topic, but isn't the Meteor 65 this year? I'm glad the EB has survived for this long. I may even get one of the commemorative posters. Can't wait to actually ride it, hopefully I'll get the chance soon...

Viewliner said:
I know this is somewhat off topic, but isn't the Meteor 65 this year? I'm glad the EB has survived for this long. I may even get one of the commemorative posters. Can't wait to actually ride it, hopefully I'll get the chance soon...
Yes, Viewliner, the Silver Meteor was a 1939 baby, when streamlining was very, very new and it does turn 65 this year.

Speaking of the Space Needle: you can stand on top of the Space Needle (the observation deck) and watch the train (in the distance) ride along the waterfront, past Elliott Bay Park, and onto Interbay Yard. you can also see the Ballard Bay (bascule) Bridge. Eastbound, the train leaves the station at 4:45pm; westbound, the train arrives a little after 10 am. The Needle is open from early morning to late at night. Don't forget about the four (two in each direction) Talgo trains that you can see from the Needle also. It's also fun to watch long freight trains from up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back